Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Galaxy S4

Discussion in Android started by sajak, May 1, 2013

1. Nov 11, 2011
    Ordered mine a few days ago, comes in this Friday. Upgraded from the S3, well not much of an upgrade but heh... Anyone already get theirs yet and have feedback? @rxn Figured since you make a seven figure salary, you might have some input.
  2. Jun 11, 2012
    There is currently an issue where if you get it from AT&T, your bootloader will be locked which locks you out of using custom roms. Soooo, after reading for couple of hours T-Mobile and Sprint aren't locked. Also Steve “Cyanogen” Kondik confirmed it this morning. Watch out and try to get unlocked if your stupid laws doesn't circumvent you.
  3. Nov 11, 2011
    Mine is T-Mo and hopefully it's unlocked (almost positive it is otherwise they wouldn't charge me $700 after taxes). Otherwise, it's going back. But yeah, it's been broken already.
  4. Dec 6, 2011
    Was supposed to get mine on Friday (I'm Sprint), but apparently it's all out of stock everywhere I go. So I'll probably have mine this weekend/next week.

The 1080p screen is nice, as well as 2GB of RAM.
  5. Jul 8, 2012
    I got mine in store yesterday (Us Cellular) and I have to say I LOVE it. Upgrade from the S1 or mesmorise. It's so fast.
  6. Nov 11, 2011
    Also, I ordered the Otterbox Defender Case for the S4. Cost me 53$ after free shipping. It's overpriced but with a breakability score of 7/10 from SquareTrade... I don't want to take the chance. That phone has like no edge protection. Drop = break.
    sajak, May 1, 2013 Last edited by sajak, May 1, 2013
  7. Jul 8, 2012
    Yeah I have and Aegis Trident case, almost the same thing.
  8. Jun 11, 2012
    I have the Otter Box for my S3. I've now become more clumsier than I was when I had my G1. But it's super freaking strong.
  9. Nov 11, 2011
    Yeah, I have it also. Can't beat that kind of protection. Wish prices were a bit cheaper.
  10. Nov 11, 2011
    @Brett That is one sexy fucking case. Don't want to wait until the 15th of May though :\
  11. Jul 1, 2010
    Eh.. it actually is a faily hefty upgrade :razz: Even more so than from the S2 to the S3 in almost every way.

From a Dual Core 2.5 to a Quad Core 2.9 with a brand spanking new snapdragon and krait, plus a new video chip. Bigger screen, actual 1080p resolution, a much needed bigger battery. Plus all the new things the phone itself can do with the proprietary samsung software.

-EDIT-

Not to mention the new 13MP camera

Would definitely be a bigger upgrade if we had the new Exynos though.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Didn't think about it that way, touche. As far as the Quad-Core vs Octocore. Does the octo run at all times or only when an application requires it? I mean is there a battery usage difference?
    • Jul 1, 2010
      Its actually done kinda in a nifty way.. I'll have to hunt down the actual specs but I can tell you that part of it is A15.. be back momentarily with the specs of it.

-EDIT-

1.6GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A15 processor and a 1.2 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 processor
      • Like Like x 1
      • Aug 2, 2010
        Given the fact I have a Note 2, I don't think I'll be switching to the S4 anytime soon. I'll be probably switch over to the Note 3 or S5, depending on how big my e-peen feels when those phones are released.

It's too bad we're not geting the Exynos chipped handsets. That might actually make me consider an upgrade. Faster phone with slower internet (Exynos with HSPA+) or slower phone with faster internet (Snappy + LTE)... hmmm. I'll wait for a Exynos octo w/ LTE.

P.S. I don't make 7 figures. Your mom isn't bringing in much business these days. Tell her to lose weight.
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Jul 1, 2010
          The Exynos is LTE capable, I have no idea why they decided to do it. I would consider the US variant an ugrade from the Note II but probably not worth it.. I just can't stand the Note cellphone screensize... I do LOVE my Note 10.1 though.
          Dharkk, May 1, 2013 Last edited by Dharkk, May 1, 2013
        • Nov 29, 2010
          I've sold the S4 and HTC Ones as soon as they're coming in stock.

And from what I'm seeing, Samsung's actually got some competition.

Mind you, I'm going to be getting my S4 from work anyways because I still love using samsung products.
        • Aug 2, 2010
          It is capable but Samsung has supposedly run into glitches and bugs they aren't able to work out without delaying the release date for the US market, just like the S3.

The S4 has a slightly faster clock speed, better vid chipset, and JB 4.2 but I can't justify blowing $600 on a slightly better phone. Most of the things I do on my phone consist of business related activities so I'll just hold out for more cores. Why? Because I want 8 cores dammit.
        • Jul 8, 2012
          Haha I was hoping the US phone would have the octa-core. But I am completely satisfied with my choice in the S4, as Us Cellular has no other really good phones out at the minute.
        • Aug 2, 2010
          Oh I would've pre-ordered the SOB if I didn't have a comparable phone.

You upgraded from a S1 IIRC. Now THAT'S an upgrade!

Quick, upgrade your crapPad now.