Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Gaming Headset

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by benmytot, Apr 19, 2013

1. Nov 19, 2010
    So I've been wanting to get a good gaming headset.. So I was looking through newegg.com today and found this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104450 and i was wondering whether anyone could reccomend a better one.

My budget is around $60.. And I want the mic to be clear when I'm talking through it..

Also, does the soundcard at all have anything to do with it? Because the headset in the link above is a USB type...
  2. Mar 12, 2008
    Anything that doesn't have plastic swivels that like to snap are a good buy.
  3. Mar 19, 2011
    Nice, I was looking for an add-on mic for a pair of Sennheiser headphones.
  4. Jun 11, 2012
    They are superb quality and and I love them. With traditional headset you're either getting a ok mic and a crappy headphones or a bad mic and a ok headphones. My OE2 with this modmic let's me decoupled the mic when I'm not using them, or quickly snap to it on those long conversations.
  5. Jul 8, 2012
    Off topic (somewhat): Would anyone know what a good headset (minus a mic) is? I prefer over the ear headphones, and I have a few hundred I could spend (tax return) so I want high grade stuff. I know of a few brands but I want more input.

On topic: Mod mic is good, I've been meaning to try it. I liked my Turtle Beach x12's. I much prefer bass in my headphones, and everyone always said I was very clear. Any of the Turtle Beach line are probably good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  6. Mar 19, 2011
    Yeah I'm going with these and gonna probably pick up a mod mic also.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Headphones-Accents/dp/B0042A8CW2

Borrowed this quote from another forum regarding the 598s.

"They have excellent mids and positioning while still retaining a fun sound, in fact I think that in the 100-200 dollar price range only the ATH AH700 can come close to its level (for gaming)."
  7. Jun 11, 2012
    If you are against audio bleeding out, as in escaping where other can hear it very clearly and a bit annoying too, don't get any open headphones. I had this and immediately returned it because more audio escapes then actually goes in your ear so you feel that you're hearing the audio from a far speaker.
    Benderius, Apr 19, 2013 Last edited by Bender Rodriguez, Apr 19, 2013
  8. Mar 19, 2011
    Yeah forgot to mention these are open-ear headphones not everyone's cup of tea. I will probably give them a shot since that doesn't bother me too much.
  9. Jul 8, 2012
    I hated audio bleeding out. That's my current issue with my headphones. That's why I was looking into some professional level headsets because I have the budget for it, and if I love audio quality.
  10. Aug 2, 2010

No I kid.

If you want some bass heavy headphones, you could give the Sony X cans a try. Heavy, and I mean HEAVY, bass on those suckers. I prefer my custom IEM over cans but they are pricey. I normally rock my Shure 750DJ's with an amp when I want to look like a badass musician at the airport.

You'll be hard pressed to find high-end cans that can be powered properly without an amp.

I seriously love my Beats by Dre Pro cans though. I got them for cheap using coupons and my buddy's employee discount.
  11. Jul 8, 2012
    Yeah I know the guy who owns a fairly large A/V store locally who offered to get me some at discounted price. So far I'm looking into Sennhieser, Audio Technica, and Shure atm.
  12. Aug 2, 2010
    Out of those 3, I'd take a set of cans from Shure.
  13. Jul 8, 2012

Sorry to hijack your thread Benmytot if you have any questions we can help :smile:

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
  14. May 14, 2011
    Get a blue snowball mic. Its a desk mic and you can't get anything better unless you're looking at professional grade stuff.
    Post Merged, Apr 19, 2013
    G35s are very good btw. I use them (I think josh and a few others do too).

And no; sound card doesn't matter with usb.
  15. Apr 4, 2013
    Love my 750DJ's but you're gonna need an amp to drive them properly.

If you don't want to pick up an amp, AT makes a great set of cans (ATH-M50S) that should hit the spot and leave you with plenty of money left in your wallet.
  17. May 27, 2008
    My G35's broke on me for a second time and yet again another stupid reason. I was taking them off my head by holding the cups and lifting up, the stupid little shits just straight up snapped off and I lost audio in my right ear. So in the meantime I don't have the time or money to replace them, so I'm grabbing these.
  18. May 14, 2011
    Warranty is gone? G35s have a 2 year warranty and Logitech is extremely good with warranties. Just got my G700 replaced after 2 years for something that wasn't even really an issue.
    Post Merged, Apr 19, 2013
    If your headphones had an open design they are designed to do this.

You are looking for closed cup headphones.
  19. Jul 8, 2012
    I'm aware. So far after watching reviews online out of the list: Bose AE2i, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Audio-Technica ATH-M35, Shure SRH440 I like the M50's the most.