Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Garry's Mod Zombie Escape

Discussion in CS:S Zombie Escape started by samm, May 18, 2013

1. Jan 30, 2013
    Hello, I'm a developer for various Garry's Mod projects, one of which is a Zombie Escape gamemode. If you're not familiar with Garry's Mod, it's a sandbox Source Engine game. Developers can pretty much build whatever they want using Lua scripts. This include weapons, gamemodes, effects, entities, and any other addon. Here are a few examples of what can be created with Garry's Mod:
    I have a feeling some people may not know that Garry's Mod is more than just a building game, so I felt it was necessary to go into more detail.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting on the Plague Fest forums is because I need your help. The Garry's Mod community isn't familiar with Zombie Escape, and I'd like to change that. I'll be adding the gamemode to the Garry's Mod Steam workshop soon, but it needs to be play tested by players who know what they're doing. I'd like to create a future event with the Plague Fest community (and anyone else who's interested) to play test my gamemode and give feedback.

The Zombie Escape gamemode I've created for Garry's Mod is similar to how it is in CS:S (and the Zombie Reloaded plug-in), but different in unique ways. Here are a few features I'd like to highlight:
    • Map messages displayed on the HUD (instead of in the chat)
    • Zombie damage display
    • Boss healthbar support
    • Anti-bunnyhop by default
    • Nearby friendly players see-through (for easier sight)
    • Zombie arms
    And here are a few images:
    [IMG]
    Boss healthbar; glow around boss also represents health (green to red); map messages on HUD

[IMG]
    Zombie arms

[IMG]
    See-through friendly player, Zombie damage, alien model for Zombies

The gamemode has been in development for a while, but I'd like to finish it this hopefully by the end of this summer at the least. Here are a few useful links:
    Github repository
    Facepunch Thread (Old)
    My Steam profile

Let me know if this sounds like something that you would be interested in and any recommendations you might have. The play testing would likely be planned for Friday next week or the week after that. I would be responsible for hosting the server, I already have a host to do so as well.

I've now setup a Steam Group which you can join if you're interested. I'll dispatch messages through it closer to testing dates: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/gmze

Thanks!
    • Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 3
      samm, May 18, 2013 Last edited by samm, May 18, 2013
    • Sep 6, 2012
      Whoa... this is awesome, especially the HUD, better graphics, and zombie arms. I would like to play test :grin:
      Danmaku, May 18, 2013 Last edited by Danmaku, May 18, 2013
    • Jan 30, 2013
      This looks quite nice, mainly the hud elements. Most of the highlights you listed can be done in css, just they dont look as "pretty" as they do in gmod.
      Would like to play-test this in gmod. Could even get more advanced items/materials/abilities :razz:

I fear this will hurt css' ze mode however.
      RedM00N, May 18, 2013 Last edited by RedM00N, May 18, 2013
    • Feb 3, 2012
      Never thought of that before. Looks good.
    • Nov 29, 2012
      Omfg this looks bad ass! Lovin the zombie arms
    • May 15, 2011
      I too would like to try this. I don't play ZE but it would be interesting to see how it works in Gmod. Whenever you get around to testing just hit us up a server address (If you're allowed.)

No.
    • Jan 30, 2013
      I'm aiming for sometime past 6pm EST on Friday, May 24th. There's a chance I may have to push that date back though.
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Jun 9, 2012
      • Jan 30, 2013
        I came up with a better way to manage who's interested and to dispatch messages when needed. I created a Steam group which you can join here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/gmze
        I've also added the link to the op.
      • Apr 1, 2012
        hmm this looked different from the one I tried in NN server.

seemed nice and better.
      • Mar 20, 2012
        This looks amazing, would love to help test. Hopefully it turns out well.
      • May 31, 2012
      • Apr 20, 2011
        i play on that server time ago at minecraft map it was pretty funny and realy? mako? we just gone rtv for mako all the time
      • Apr 25, 2013
        Whaoo! the HUD chat system is awesome! we need it on css !!
      • May 19, 2013
        Any servers for this mod ? i cant find some
      • Feb 3, 2012
        I don't think there are many on Garry's Mod. It's probably why it's a good idea.
      • May 12, 2007
      • Apr 3, 2013
      • Feb 28, 2013

I am in
      • Feb 27, 2012
        This looks absolutely gorgeous. That looks so nice, it's unbelievable. I would love to try it out though. I hope it's as fun as it looks. Good work! :smile: