Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Tutorial Ghosts Mapping Tutorials

Discussion in Resources & Tutorials started by Ghost, Apr 29, 2012

Will you guys support me on this?

Yes 17 vote(s) 81.0%
No 4 vote(s) 19.0%
  1. May 14, 2011
    Well I've decided to make my own brand of mapping tutorials. I will start as soon as I get my new headset in 1 day so I can have a proper mic. I've had a few ideas about what tutorials to do, please let me know in this thread if you want any tuts to be done. I really want to have some original stuff here. I wont mind making tuts that are only 30 seconds long, I feel they are much more useful than tuts that drag on for hours.

Link to channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/GhostsSourceSDKTuts

Ideas so far:

Video Name - Content - Estimated length - Progress / Link

Icons for Source SDK - How to have a proper Icon for SDK - 2mins - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFft8_1eC4E

Installing Hammer - I will show how to install and set-up hammer for the first time - 2mins - WIP
    Basics for Beginners #1 - I will go over the basic hammer GUI - 5mins - WIP
    Basics for Beginners #2 - I will go over more complicated hammer GUI (shortcuts, etc) - 5mins - WIP
    Teleporters - I will go through creating a teleport (step by step) - 3mins - WIP
    Triggers - I will go through all the basic triggers (multiple, explain the trigger texture)
    Filters - I will show how to create basic filters for triggers - 2mins - WIP
    Buttons - I will show how to use and make buttons - 2mins - WIP
    (How to filter a single player) - I will show how to let the winner of a race (for example) be allowed through a gate - 2mins - WIP
    Timers - I will explain the timer entity - 1min - WIP
    Skyboxes - I will show how to change your skybox and explain the skybox texture - 2mins - WIP
    Nodraw - I will underline the importance of the Nodraw texture - 1min - WIP
    Rounded Coridors - I will show how to make perfectly curving walls with no jagged edges - 4mins - WIP - Special Thanks to @Brian

Thats it so far, I could think of many more but the list is long enough for now. If you have any amendments please let me know.

Also if anyone wishes to make their own vid I can put them on this channel and just make sure the viewers understand this vid is made by you and I will put a subscribe to YOUR channel link in the vid. (I guess you may want to do this if the channel starts to get popular).

As well as that I will probably amke some tuts such as Ice Skating, Slide, Crouch Jump, Basic Bhop and Surf (in ski mountain) for those who always ask how to do this.

Any money I make from this channel will be donated towards pF so please subscribe and share the vids.

Money raised: $0 (I am now earning money per view)
    • Good Idea Good Idea x 4
    • Like Like x 2
      Ghost, Apr 29, 2012 Last edited by Ghost1995, May 20, 2012
    • Oct 17, 2011
      This is really nice ghost. I would like to see how to do map votes if you can make a video because Byronic tutorial was very helpful but kind of hard. Maybe making shooting votes or the most button pressed for voting a map or any other kind of vote that you can make a video of. Thank you.
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Jun 4, 2006
        I'd be personally interested in techniques for mapping rural type areas. Seamlessly blending textures / roads / displacements / water / whatever. I haven't seen a lot of tutorials on this, but perhaps I haven't looked hard enough. There's already tons of beginner tutorials out there, but I guess if you're doing a 'series' you might as well cover all the bases. I like tutorials that cover good practices in general (such as the importance of nodraw) / how to use x tool & not specifics such as 'how to build a house', though these are useful in their own way since a lot of people learn via practice in trying to make something even if they have no plans of doing anything with it afterward, I just find the former to be more useful as it can be applied to anything. Other How-To's fit in that category too though such as how to do round corners in walls/halls etc. Good list of ideas so far. :thumbsup:
        • Friendly Friendly x 3
          Brian, Apr 29, 2012 Last edited by Brian, Apr 29, 2012
        • Dec 6, 2011
          If you are a great mapper, and not just going to pull something out of your ass and fuse it with pieces of information taken from other videos/tutorials, I'd be glad to support this project if you're willing to put in the effort :thumbsup:
          • Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Nov 2, 2011
            Great job ghost i will support you for sure!
            • Friendly Friendly x 2
            • May 5, 2011
              Ah awesome Ghost can't wait to hear your VOICE! and see your tutorials ^^ *Supporting*
              • Friendly Friendly x 2
              • May 14, 2011
                @Super Mario I am planning to ask Nyro I can turn his tut into a vid, as well as adding in my own, shoot to vote system and also an extra, button spam system.
                @Brian Yes, I thought I might as well do a beginner tut so people can use my tuts from start to finish of basic mapping, i do not want to make my tuts just for pros, and also i like you idea of a tut on how to make round walls, will sure make one and say it was your idea :razz:
                @Quietly Yell Yes i am willing to put in the effort, I prefer to release vids slowly and prepare them, (make a plan) rather than rush them out.
                @Jermaine [pF] Thanks!
                @Yahoo Lol you have heard it, well a bit of it.

Thanks all who voted that they will support me, hopefully I will have a popular channel fast, I will try and make a nice intro today with my After Effects skills, which I am sadly lacking atm.
                • Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Acehigh
                  This message by Acehigh has been removed from public view. Deleted by Dharkk, Apr 30, 2012, Reason: Not needed in a tutorial thread.
                  Apr 30, 2012
                • May 14, 2011
                  Man, that was very offensive tbh, I don't know why you would go and call all my maps shitty? The point is that some things are not very well explained in tuts and I think I could make better ones? This isn't for people who have already seen these tuts, this is for people who want to learn something new. I don't see why you would just go out and call my maps bad, its a long time since I released those maps and i have done a lot since then, even if I haven't released stuff i have done. It seems quite big headed of YOU to just go out there and call all your maps very good i'm sure in your starting days you make a bad map. There's is no reason to just compare yourself to me like that, ofc my first 1 or 2 maps were bad, everyone first map isn't that great, whether they choose to release it or not. Since when were the maps I actually released to the public copied and pasted, I have always gone out of my way for originality when I can and always credited when I have used someone else s idea? Those copied and pasted maps you mention were made for the CsG community, (this was before I even knew GB existed) i used to belong to and i was fixing problems in them. I don't see what your point is, maybe you just don't like me, i don't know but please don't flame like this, the point this thread is constructive criticism, not just and attack against me.

If you don't like the vids or don't want to support me don't watch them and don't comment.

Thank you Dharkk
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                    Ghost, Apr 30, 2012 Last edited by Ghost1995, Apr 30, 2012
                  • Feb 14, 2012
                    Acehigh, he's just trying to be helpful. It's rather rude to jump all over him like that. Obviously if you have experience with mapping you're not going to find his videos useful but there is a lot of people just getting into it that might be interested.
                    • Friendly Friendly x 2
                    • Acehigh
                      This message by Acehigh has been removed from public view. Deleted by Dharkk, Apr 30, 2012, Reason: This is meant for Ghost's tutorials.
                      Apr 30, 2012
                    • May 15, 2011
                      You don't have to be a great mapper to make tutorials. Just cause you know how to do something, does NOT mean you know how to teach it. That's why teachers are different from professionals. Sure, some of the pro's can teach in an effective manner, but that's quite rare. If Paul or TomGreen have made tutorials that doesn't automatically label them as useful. They can map up a storm, but it wouldn't be a surprise that they are shitty teachers.

Also, why the fuck does it matter if he makes tutorials or not? Unless this is going to affect you personally, you really shouldn't be getting butthurt over this. :/ Seems rather childish.
                      • Mapping King Mapping King x 2
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • May 14, 2011
                        I would rather you support me, I really doubt i will get attacks on youtube, if i give poeple what they want to watch then why would there be attacks? I posted on here to notify members of the community of the fact i will be making maps please dont spam my thread with shit like this, ofc there are tuts about things on youtube, but the fact you posted more than 1 for each topic means that there is space for more tuts on the ame topic, maybe some people prefer the way i will do my vids. I feel posting all those links is like advertising on my thread.

Could you please stop being negative, if you don't have anything positive to say then please just don't post here, as you may have judged from the first posts in this thread before you started your flame, people support this idea. If you don't like it then don't comment.

Thank You Dharkk
                        Ghost, Apr 30, 2012 Last edited by Ghost1995, Apr 30, 2012
                      • Apr 14, 2011
                        k then fail then i was just trying to save you the time and effect,
                      • Dec 6, 2011
                        No reason to be an asshole and piss all over somebody's goals. I've yet to see an actual interesting or semi-entertaining mapping tutorial. The biggest reason why people don't get into mapping is because learning to map is such a drag. Maybe @Ghost1995 will switch it up a bit and make a somewhat interesting tutorial. Who knows. (wink wink):wink:
                      • May 15, 2011
                        FTFY, and it's not always about trying to go big. Sometimes, things are done simply to gain experience, have fun, or learn something new and experiment with something you are either interested in or just curious about. But just because it has a probability to fail does not mean he should just not try or at least have some fun with it.

I look forward to Ghost's tuts, I want to hear his sexy voice. Mmmm
                      • Acehigh
                        This message by Acehigh has been removed from public view. Deleted by Dharkk, Apr 30, 2012, Reason: Nope..
                        Apr 30, 2012
                      • Feb 14, 2012
                        But this is the Internet. If we don't piss all over each other how will we prove our e-thuggery?
                        • Funny Funny x 2
                        • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
                        • Jul 1, 2010
                          Cleaned up the thread. This is meant for Ghost to post tutorials for the community, and I for one am looking forward to this.
                          • Mapping King Mapping King x 2
                          • Apr 14, 2011
                            dharkk im warning you this once unremove that post, there was notting bad about it at all.
                            • Funny Funny x 1
                            • Feb 14, 2012
                              • Useful Useful x 2
                              • Jul 1, 2010

Take the flaming and calling out to a different thread, or better yet, somewhere else entirely. This wasn't a thread for you to post a bunch of stuff in pertaining to what Ghost is wanting to do, nor was it a thread to call someone out in.

-EDIT-

NOTE: I was in no way telling AceHigh to go away or not post on these forums, nor is that something that I want. It was simply a phrase that meant that intentional flaming is not tolerated and to take it somewhere else.
                                • Agree Agree x 2
                                • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
                                  Dharkk, Apr 30, 2012 Last edited by Dharkk, Apr 30, 2012
                                • Dec 6, 2011
                                  @Ghost1995 , you should start with the basics, just as if you, yourself were learning to map. Maybe something like making a basic ZM map while you explain what you're doing, and go through it step by step as you build. Then adding all of the details, extra textures, special stuff and what-not, for the end.

A possible video to explain the more experienced stuff could be the same as above, but in the version of a ZE map, so you're going more in depth, with triggers, doors, moving objects/cars/trains/boats/etc.
                                  • Like Like x 3