Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Tutorial Ghosts Mapping Tutorials

Discussion in Resources & Tutorials started by Ghost, Apr 29, 2012

Will you guys support me on this?

Yes 17 vote(s) 81.0%
No 4 vote(s) 19.0%
  1. May 14, 2011
    Sure will, I am going to try to find a complete novice to mapping and try to make the vids from their perspective. I think I will also make a thread on the daunting prospect on starting a map, I think I will try to do a step by step copy me guide for beginners, the objective being, them getting used to the idea of mapping. Hopefully people will like this idea. I will start a map purely to show different mapping techniques and upload the .vmf so they can see how it is done if they are stuck. I think mg is a mappers playground so I will base my tutorials on mg maps.
  2. Dec 6, 2011
    Well MG is a little bit more complex, since you need a variety of doors/triggers/buttons and what not. You should probably start with ZM.

Also, what I mean by talking your way, step by step, through a map, I literally mean create a basic ZM map, from start to finish, explaining and clarifying everything along the way. I wish you could do the "smart-guy-dumb-guy" tutorial, where one of the people talk the other through mapping, and show him what to do, tell him what's what, etc., but I doubt you'll find somebody with enough time and enthusiasm to do it >.<

Probably not the greatest way to explain this, but you should get what I mean. Something like this:

The Corsair dude basically talks the other guy through everything, instead of just talking to the camera, which is a great method to due when explaining, showing, or introducing something in a video.
  3. May 15, 2011

Heh, but actually this doesn't really work for online. Sure it works when you can see them, but unless the student has a way to actually show the teacher what he is looking at, it's kind of hard. In person, I can point to an object or area of intererest and ask a question, over mic all I can do is say, Ya that thing over on the left, with the squares and shit, ya what's that?
    • Like Like x 1
    • May 14, 2011
      Lol, I think it would be impossible to do something like this at this stage, its an excellent idea but un-executable, maybe later if this channel is successful people may want to do this with me, I don't know. For now I reckon if i talk them through everything I do, every click, I reckon this should work out quite well. I think starting with a zm map will be a bit boring and people many lose interest, when i say mg, I mean mg contains a lot of triggers etc so I can just expand on a map. Make a tutorial map. Ask people to download it and follow me through. Its hard to explain but it think this will be original and very useful to new mappers. Hmm if you don't understand, hopefully you will see tomorrow, or whenever I make the first vid. You kind of just gave me a winning idea by me trying to explain myself.
    • Dec 6, 2011
    • May 14, 2011
      Team viewer lags like fak lol, it makes my pc lag by just using it, not even mentioning if I record in the process. I will be one of those people who always replies within 24 hours and also i posted my steam id so i can take a number of people onboard if they need help in any of the tuts i make.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • May 15, 2011
        Then you will here, Can I take over? Every five seconds. XD And then the viewer cannot manipulate very well, one problem being Team Viewer lags ass, or at least for me, and they cannot move in the 3D view, cause that causes hella lag. I love Team Viewer and I use it almost daily, but it just isn't a very good program tbh, more just the only option we have.
      • May 14, 2011
        And on a side note, why da fak wernt there any good watercooling guides when I was installing mine a few months ago. Ugh. I had to use Linus' 240p one >.<
      • Dec 6, 2011
        I'm running low on ideas. Invite Pinkie Pie the possible homosexual pedophile rapist over your house that's thousands of miles away? And holy shit bro, water cooling guides having been spewing out of Youtube's ass for at least 2 years now.
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • May 5, 2011
          Don't start with how to make MG maps or ZE / ZM maps yet, best you start out how to make a basic map for play, then till Novice people have a good idea of how to use the interface, how to design, etc with entitys, then introduce the diff types of map but its your choice. If you don't listen to me, I will just come to your house and steal your cookies ^^ jk jk
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Dec 6, 2011

2. ZM is pretty simple, literally just spawn entities & the map, unless you want to get more technical with teleports, secrets, etc.
          • May 14, 2011
            ZM is boring, Im going to make a different type of map, you will see. It falls into a different category altogether.
          • May 5, 2011
            I will place cookies in your house then steal them. So just to show I stole cookies from your house.

Zm is simple but usually novice mappers will give up with such a zm map, because usually its bigger then a normal size map for normal play. But it differs
          • Feb 5, 2012
            First with the PF Mapping group, now just straight up YouTube tutorials, you are really helping out for the people who want to make maps in PF. I'm right behind you with this, great idea!! :grin:
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Dec 6, 2011
              Well, even though the tutorial won't be about ZM, CAN YOOOOS STULL DO'S A ZAMBIE MOD MAPPUH?

Would really like to see one from start to finish with narration =D
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • May 15, 2011
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • May 14, 2011
                  I could do an example of 1 room? I guess @Dirtbag is right but with time lapse i think the non-repetitive parts can be covered in <20 mins.
                • Dec 6, 2011

Fine...... :arrogant:
                  • Like Like x 2
                  • May 14, 2011
                    I haven't been making any tuts yet because i have important (life changing) exams in case any of you thought i gave up or something. And as you know Real Life > Gaming. But I have a break in exams this weekend and I promise at least 1 tut during the weekend!
                  • May 5, 2011
                    • Like Like x 1