Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Gibson or Fender?

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Driku, Dec 6, 2011

1. Oct 1, 2011
    I am looking to add to my collection as a christmas gift to myself after one fucked year. So I need help-- I am a big Les Paul fan but I also like alot of Fenders so give me your thoughts on these 2 guitars.

Gibson's Les Paul >>>>>>> http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Silverburst-Electric-Guitar-105456289-i1463121.gc

Fender's Stratocaster >>>> http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-American-Select-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar-102807864-i1168160.gc
  2. Jul 23, 2010
    I bought that Fender for my ex. It was pretty sweet.
  3. Aug 1, 2011
    Just a question, are you SERIOUSLY going to drop 1,500 bucks on a guitar?
  4. Oct 1, 2011
    Yeah? That isn't that much for a good guitar
  5. Sep 6, 2010
    Looks like the Fender is sold out according to the link
  6. Aug 1, 2011
    O.o well then. Glad to see you have a couple grand just lying around to drop on guitars..
  7. Oct 1, 2011
    Shows instock on my screen highlander. And it is nice isnt That Guy, Hard work pays off when you save up to get the things that you enjoy. i rather spend that kind of money on a guitar that will last a life time and will be able to give to my girls when they grow up then waste it on a computer that will be crap in 4 years. My grandfather gave me a 50+ year old Gibson Hummingbird that goes for around $30,000. They are something that can hold alot of meaning and when they are well taken care of, can be worth something in a few years.... how much does a 15 year old computer go for? $10 at a yard sale?
  8. Jul 14, 2008
    I really Like the Gibson. I would personally go for it since I'm a fan of them.
  9. Feb 18, 2011
  10. Jul 28, 2011
    I have a Fender (not a great one :razz: ) but you can't go wrong with Gibson...
  11. Oct 21, 2010
    I own both. I have a Les Paul custom studio light(1992). I also have a 1987 Fender Jap Strat. (very rare)

The strat is kewl but the Les Paul is my favorite by far.

The question is what kind of music do you like to play???????

Now the reason I like my Les Paul custom studio light is because I like a skinny neck. The regular Les Pauls and the strat have fat necks. Also my style is blues, jazz, and funk so it fits well with the Les Paul.

Back in the day when I use to play more metal I would use the strat. It was set up for a heavy metal guitar.

Have you went and played both guitars? I dont like that silver on the Les Paul but I bet it plays smooth. I like the sunburst on the Les Paul best.

Taz
  12. Oct 1, 2011
    I got to sit down with the les paul this past weekend and it feels like the strings are more spaced out then my epiphone that i had for years. Which will make things alot easier after having my arm worked on. Style wise i play more of the blues and jazz over everything else. But I am able to go a whole range of other styles when i get back into the swing of things. Its just I have yet to own a strat, so the question is more-- should I upgrade the one I have, or just get one for the collection. I plan on getting both its just what order.
  13. Oct 21, 2010
    If your just adding to your collection thats one thing but if your going to play the guitar thats another.
    I have guitars that I collect that I don't play because I don't like the playability. For example, I have a musicman stingray 1. That is a very cool guitar for any collector. But to me it plays like shit. lol. So it just sits in the case.

I also forgot to mention one big key difference between the strat and the les paul. The pods and pick up selector get in the way a lot with the strat especially when playing aggresive funk.

Taz
  14. Oct 1, 2011
    I will play them all besides my grandfather's. But I will have to look into the pods/pick up
  15. Oct 21, 2010
    Well im a spazzy player when i play funk. If you have good controll you prob wont have any problems with the pods and switch. Let me know what guitar you choose. :smile:

Taz
  16. Mar 12, 2008

Gibson for Looks/awesomeness.

I like the way Strats look and feel, but my preference is Fender over Gibson.

I also own a B.C.Rich Warlock Deluxe series. needs to be repaired before i cbf to play anything though :frown:
  17. Jul 19, 2011
    If you knew a bit about instruments you would realize 1.5k is amateur level. I play violin and I am in AYP(area youth philharmonic). People that are extremely serious about becoming a musician have 10k violins in high school. I just play for fun so mine is around 2.5k.
  18. May 27, 2008
    I don't like comparing guitars because they all have their pros and cons, but my preference would be a Les Paul. But silverburst? Why? I have a Honeyburst that I got back when I was 16. I haven't touched it in a few years.

[IMG]
  19. Feb 1, 2011
    It's really up to you, depending on what you want as far as sound, feel, and look.

Gibsons have a super thick, warm sound that's great for blues. At the same time, they're super heavy and not necessarily the most comfy guitar to play.

Strats have a thinner sound due to the single coil pickups. However I see on the link you posted that you selected one with a humbucker on the bridge pickup, which is what most people use the majority of the time - so you'll be able to get that thick sound out of the Strat as well. Strats are relatively light and are arguably the most ergonmically designed and comfortable guitars out there.

I bought a '68 reverse Strat reissue back when I was in 8th grade or so - I still love it and never really thought about buying another electric guitar.
  20. Oct 29, 2010
    Demo both instruments in-person first before making a decision.

Can you?