Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

GIMP transparency help

Discussion in Software Sanctuary started by Satsukii, Jan 12, 2013

1. Jan 11, 2012
    Anyone here who has some skill with GIMP and can help me?
    I like to make pics, edits, sprays & stuff and therefore I use pictures and make the background transparent.
    My problem now is I don't know how to perfectly make it transparent, may it be only white bg, and always get these ugly stairs that makes the picture looks crap :/

That black is only to show the stairs better.

Would be awesome if someone can help me.
    (And yees I tried Google & YT and it didn't helped me well)
    Satsukii, Jan 12, 2013 Last edited by Satsukii, Jan 12, 2013
  2. May 14, 2011
    Well in PS you need to, (or at least I do), Open a new project with RGBA with a transparent background. Use the magic want tool and select the parts you want to transfer over. Then copy the selected parts and paste into the new picture. Then save as an image format that supports alpha.
  3. Jan 11, 2012
    Gimp, not PS, I have no 1k to spend on PS :/
  4. May 14, 2011
    You probably do the same thing but in a more fiddly way. Without using gimp before and assuming the tools it has.

1. Create a new .gif project with same dimensions as start project. Make sure the background is transparent to start with.
    2. Add the old picture as a layer on top of the new project.
    3. Erase everything that you don't need from the old layer with the rubber tool.
    4. Merge the layers.
    5. Save as a .gif
    EDIT: If gimp doesn't have any of those tools use MS Paint...
  5. Jan 11, 2012
    "Anyone here who has some skill with GIMP"
    I'm really looking for one with GIMP experience. I am not going to use the rubber to erase pixel by pixel because there are some 10000's around as stairs.
    And Paint has no transparency option.
  6. Mar 12, 2008

GIMP confuses the hell out of me, so I don't use it, but luckily I had a copy of Photoshop CS2 handy.

I wish I could help with the GIMP part, but I think @Vadleon knows a thing or two, as he recommended it to me back when I couldn't find a copy of photoshop.

also this.

There were some stray blotches of black that I cleaned up, and I saved the .psd so if there's anything you want me to change on it just let me know.

Attached Files:

• Wizard! Wizard! x 2
    • May 20, 2011
      I'm kind of an experienced user of GIMP on Unix, haven't been using it for over an year though, so changes to the UI that were in between may be new for me.
      I was going to say what Ghost just said, but I believe it is possible with GIMP.

Tates made it all-ready for ya, but if you may need me in the future just PM me.
    • Jan 11, 2012
      Well this one wasn't especially for a spray but thanks ^^
      My actual problem is still existing since I don't want to annoy you everytime I need a pic clean & transparent. I get it to transparent & stuff but I don't know what I do wrong that always these ugly stairs are left
    • May 20, 2011
    • Jan 11, 2012
    • May 20, 2011
      I will install GIMP on my W7 as well to run it through with you, but you'll have to be a little patient as to I have to leave the house to work in a couple of mins.
    • Mar 31, 2011
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Jan 12, 2011

You could do that, but I'm not a fan of gifs because they have limited color palettes. (Also, animated gifs don't work in the Windows Photo Viewer anymore for some arbitrary reason.) :frown:

@Satsukii, what you can do is open the file you want to edit (such as the one in your OP) and on the layers window to the right, right-click the 'Background' and select "Add Alpha Channel" to add transparency to your image, like so:
        Then for whatever you want to show through (or rather not be there), use the eraser on it and you'll see the gray checkered background behind the image.
        However, to get rid of the stairs/aliasing(?) around the image, you'll have to spend a while gently erasing the line around whatever subject matter you have. For maximum precision, you'll want to scale down your eraser size to a few pixels and just brush over a spot a few times to only nick off a little bit at a time (you can use a large scale eraser on the big open areas, but watch your hand!). You may also have to go back and re-add the color/border that may have been there if you aren't careful, so be sure to sample it with the 'Color Picker' tool first before erasing.
        Don't forget to save frequently and as separate WIP files as you work on it, in case you make a mistake somewhere. Also, don't forget to save it in a format that supports transparency. I personally prefer PNGs, but you can pick whichever you like for that.

If you wish, I can edit that image provided and post it back soon when I'm done or you can upload another image for me to work with.
        • Informative Informative x 2
          Vadleon, Jan 12, 2013 Last edited by Vadleon, Jan 12, 2013
        • May 14, 2011
        • Jan 12, 2011
          I know, but I was just offering anyway. :smile:
          • Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Feb 1, 2011
            dillinger, Jan 12, 2013 Last edited by dillinger, Jan 12, 2013
          • Feb 14, 2012
            While we're offering other applications I personally find paint. net works better than GIMP in the Windows Environment.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
          • Apr 9, 2012
            I didn't expect that many answers so I didn't bother reading any of them, however I'm very experienced with GIMP and this is super easy

1) Open it in GIMP
            2) Select the whole picture, copy it and close it without saving...
            3) When closing you should have an empty GIMP window, in that window paste the picture.
            4) Select the Magic wand tool, select the surrounding black and it will select the entire black surface around the picture. Press DELETE
            5) Almost all will be transparant. There's still some black between her legs, do the same to remove it.
            6) Done

Alternativly you could use the color select tool and select the black, but this might select black in the manga picture as well which is not what we want.

With this method you could also remove the little white unneeded lines around the manga girl, but it might be a little difficult to do.

In case you didn't understand I could make a quick video, in the mean time here are the files as you need them: TRANSPARANT
            If you need more information, feel free to ask.
          • Jan 11, 2012
            The black = transparent. I only made it black so you see these ugly stairs. It's not like I don't know how to make it transparent, it's like I don't know how to make it without the stairs at the borders. I saw some videos, but it totally ended up in the whole transparency of the pic because of the white removal. I guess there is no other way than that annoying rubber tool :/

Edit: I'll try my luck with PS CS2 since it's not the first issue I have with gimp
            Satsukii, Jan 13, 2013 Last edited by Satsukii, Jan 13, 2013
          • Apr 9, 2012