Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Globally permaban people for joining a Steam group? (part 2)

Discussion in Help Desk started by Whats His Face, May 2, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 15, 2011
    Ok going at this in a different approach, I ask is it bannable to join a steam group and why?

Is it an appropiate choice to permaban a group of people and do for all the servers? why?

Define slander.

Define free speech on this site in your opinion. (I need everyone to answer this in their own words not just the higher ups or whats posted on the rules but you could add those to your post.)

Think very hard about these cause it could have some unintended consequences later down the road.

While it maybe true that there are people in the group who had ill intent against you. Most of these 52 people's only crime is joining a steam group, think about that. If you don't believe me go to http://bans.plaguefest.com/index.php?p=home and advance search "Steam Community Group Ban (PlagueFestisGAY)" under the "reason" section.

I still think it was unfair to globally permaban 51 people with no previous ban records at all. (correct me if this is wrong if need be) I also think it could have been taken positively and handled better by noticing the group and maybe talking to those people in there first?

Like I said I'm not looking for a ban or unban currently. I'm looking for answers, some of them partially answered by a small sample of people in this site/community. Also btw if anyone tells me I've already posted an unban protest already at least I think but this thread is mainly for the 53 people banned as well as other people who have been or will be banned for merely joining a steam group no matter how harmless or hurtful a group may be.

Will probably ask or answer more questions down the road on this thread but it won't be as accelerated as the last one was.

Previous thread here: http://plaguefest.com/threads/globally-permed-for-joining-a-steam-group.10233/

Try not to personally attack or gang up on one person. Lets all have a good discussion. ^^

PS: is there a site suggestions area I can go to? like how to make the site or servers better or give admins advice or something? I see a tutorial area but I don't feel like writing a long post or making a video with only me talking and possibly boring people I'd rather actively discuss with people.
  2. Feb 14, 2012
    This is a privately owned group. To answer your question it is what the roots / owners define it as. I don't believe they have to explain themselves to you in any way shape or form. Now if they feel like being friendly in doing so that is their choice.
  3. Nov 29, 2010
    This is not a business. This is a privately owned server. It was on their own accord for joining a group that bears a name that is against pF, so they clearly don't want to play on our servers anymore, they bear the consequences, not us. Free speech doesn't mean free of Consequences. Keep that in mind.
    • Agree Agree x 2
      Clam Chowder, May 2, 2012 Last edited by Clam Chowder, May 2, 2012
    • Jan 21, 2011
      A group named Plaguefest is GAY is a pretty good example. Especially when the group was founded by an individual who didn't like our rules and got permabanned for it.

Say what you want, but know that it may have consequences.

You're the only one who has tried to join a pF server since the ban was implemented 2 weeks ago, so this point is irrelevant.
    • Oct 27, 2010
      Whenever a group gets banned its for a good reason. Is it fair that they all get banned? Yes. If you were to join the KKK and claimed to never take part in any of the associated activities you still end up being a biggeted, pigheaded, racist. The message here is don't join random groups for the hell of it.

Also, most of the time people get unbanned if they make a protest and leave the group.
    • Mar 15, 2011
      Privately owned. Define that because the way I see it the only way something could be private owned is if it didn't have access to the public. Also please be aware that you have a total say in this even if you are the lowest level type admin. I mean you pay for the server right?

As for the group, why should any group that only hints at plaguefest being gay, bad, etc be banned like this especially if it could have been intended for something totally different like an inside joke lets say though I agree this was not the case to begin with.

Also slander could be defined as another thing like bringing in people to make the server look bad even though the name might not be offensive am I correct when I say this?
    • Oct 27, 2010
      Are you being pedantic just to troll or are you just not well acquainted with the social norms we've put forward?
    • Jan 21, 2011
      I don't get the point you're trying to prove with these threads. Kindly stop wasting our time.
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Nov 29, 2010
        Is this server advertised in the mainstream networks? Do we pay the government? No. The server is a community of people coming together and chipping together to keep the server afloat managed by a handful of people who are your average joes, going to school, going to work and going with their everyday lives.

This was not meant to be an inside joke. It was a malicious group formed because of a few butthurt players who got banned and started inviting other people into it. We can't let shit like that appear on our servers.

Slander is defined as a malicious attempt to smear another's reputation. That group was specifically formed for that reason.
      • Apr 20, 2011
        In my own words I think owners of pf they feel insult and what you do with people insult you even you insult him and fight or just fight but since its on internet and they don't know you so the easy way for them to ban them
        (Its just came in on my mind :grin:)
      • Mar 15, 2011
        How am I wasting your time? I'm not forcing you to answer. Besides let others weigh in their opinions first. =/

1/128: Not familar with the norms on the forums. I'm mostly on the servers. Thought this was a place to reason with people if any problems arose. I'm sorry if this is wrong on my part excuse my ignorance.

Clam: You're right except anyone can still go into the server also your right about slander meaning to ruin one's reputation.

Also enlighten me to the fairness in each punishment. Would you give any special treatment to anyone at all or would all punishments be fair and just?

Where does it say in the rules that this is an offense?

Like I said slow down and take your time theres no need to rush.
      • Oct 27, 2010
        Join groups with caution(i.e. Read the group description and learn about what its about before accepting an invite). If you are part of a group that gets banned and you feel that it was unjustified file a ban protest.
      • Apr 9, 2007
        Just so its clear for you... 90% of the groups that I ban are malicious. I was sent the group four? months ago and just sat on it, in it if you will. If the group looks harmful (This was specifically calling us out, and as far as I'm aware, the creator was banned), the group is going to be blocked.
        • Winner Winner x 1
        Thread Status:
        Not open for further replies.