Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

GOG giving away Fallout 1 for free!

Discussion in Gaming started by Vadleon, Apr 5, 2012

1. Jan 12, 2011
    For those unfamiliar, there is an online game distributor called Good Old Games that specializes in selling older games for cheap and without DRM (digital rights management). This is extremely appealing since many older games are 1) hard to find and 2) if you can find them are usually tied to some particular service (Steam for example).

Starting today and lasting through Saturday (4/7), they are offering Fallout 1 as a free download! If you're interested, it is as simple as making an account and adding it to your game list. Along with the game, GOG usually offers extra goodies such as the manual, soundtrack, wallpapers, and other cool stuff with purchases.

Also, GOG has been adding other awesome games to their site recently, such as Wing Commander IV (DVD version!). I strongly recommend checking out the site if you haven't heard of or seen it before. It has all sorts of games you might remember, so shop around!

Links:
    GOG homepage
    Fallout page here
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • May 5, 2011
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Apr 4, 2012
        You know the website that's been giving out the entire Fallout collection for free since it came out? Piratebay... :victory:
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Aug 1, 2011
          I hear that is also illegal and punishable by law.
          *cough* *cough*

I will have to check this out, I have never played Fallout 1 before.
        • Apr 4, 2012
        • Dec 6, 2011
          Yea, until you turn 18 and the police throw you in jail/tear down your internet/take your computer/fine you a ton of money. No, yea, that's a great idea.

Thanks a ton @Vadleon , I love your informative threads, especially the DAZ 3D software. Even though I'm new with that stuff, it's fun/interesting to use.
        • Jan 12, 2011
          For anyone unsure about the site, just poke around and investigate. It's not so foreign as console gamers checking out Steam for the first time. Personally, me and my brother have followed it for a long time and it's been very helpful to be able to repurchase older games that have been brought up to compatibility standards for newer OS's. They don't host games as DRM-free downloads against the will of the owning companies - they work out contracts to license it out just like Steam. The chief difference is that GOG doesn't require you to be logged in to play it. Think of the way games used to be managed back in the 90's - pop in floppy, punch in random page numbers from manual, and boom, the game is yours to play at your leisure. Hence the name Good Old Games. I won't say all games are that simple to install (lol floppy drives...), but I've been able to find and play old favorites like Duke Nukem and Rollercoaster Tycoon thanks to the place. I trust it as much as I do Steam. Of course I spend far less time on the site and more time just playing games. :razz:
        • Mar 18, 2012
        • Apr 4, 2012
          i take it the police have raped your home already. LOL. I follow the law thank you very much sir =D
        • Jan 8, 2012
          I don't know how putting a game up for free on a website for everyone to download, can possibly be legal? Plus stripping DRM from a game then re-selling it sounds illegal as well. I'll stick to steam, thanks anyway.
        • Jan 12, 2011
          It's a brief promotion, and they're not necessarily just reselling it. Like I said, they work out contracts to provide these downloads with the parent company's permission since these old games obviously aren't seeing 'new' releases of product. It's legitimate, otherwise I wouldn't be supporting the site.
        • Jan 8, 2012
          Well idk where you are getting your information, the only source I saw was wikipedia, and I don't trust half the shit on there.
        • Jan 12, 2011
          I'll seek more of what you wish shortly, but a brief search yields this:

Terms of Service (Linky!)
          Excerpt from the Disclaimer of Warranties: (Pardon the caps, this is on the site)
          THE PRODUCTS OR SERVICES OFFERED ON THE SITE ARE PROVIDED OR LICENSED "AS IS" WITH NO WARRANTIES WHATSOEVER. ALL EXPRESS, IMPLIED, AND STATUTORY WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT OF PROPRIETARY RIGHTS, ARE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, GOG DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES FOR SECURITY, RELIABILITY, TIMELINESS, AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PRODUCTS AND SERVICES OFFERED ON THE SERVICE. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, GOG DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES FOR OTHER SERVICES OR GOODS RECEIVED THROUGH OR ADVERTISED ON THE SERVICE OR RECEIVED THROUGH ANY LINKS PROVIDED ON THE SERVICE, AS WELL AS FOR ANY INFORMATION OR ADVICE RECEIVED THROUGH THE SERVICE OR THROUGH ANY LINKS PROVIDED ON THE SERVICE. GOG SIMILARLY DISCLAIMS, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, ANY WARRANTIES FOR ANY INFORMATION OR ADVICE OBTAINED THROUGH THE SERVICE. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT ANY MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE PRODUCTS AND SERVICES OF THE SERVICE IS AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES TO OR CLAIMS IN RESPECT THEREOF, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS IN THE DOWNLOAD OF SUCH MATERIAL.
        • Jan 8, 2012
          I like the response, hmmm, I might try them out, but I usually get all my old games by means which I can't contribute. Glad to know theirs an effort to support the older games ( "abandonware" as they call it) now-a-days. Thanks for the website bro.