Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Gonna purchase an Alienware M18x

Discussion in Gaming started by NightFury, Jul 2, 2011

1. Nov 2, 2010
    Can you guys tell me about any cons I should know about?
    Here's the specs I have ordered...

Stealth Black Anodized Aluminum

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit (English)

Intel® Core™ i7-2720QM 2.2GHz (3.3GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)

16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM (4x4GB)

Dual 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 580M – NVIDIA® SLI® Enabled

1.5TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive (750GBx2)(Raid 0)

8X DVD + /-RW Drive with DVD + R double layer write capability

Internal High-Definition 5.1 Performance Audio with SoundBlaster X-Fi Audio

p.s. These are just the most important specs, the other shit is just useless crap that they give you for paying top doll
  2. Jul 14, 2010
    Con: Alienware, Overpriced. Good specs but you are probably overpaying by a lot and the laptop will run hot unless you got a special cooler.
  3. Nov 2, 2010
    True that, but it's not like there is any other laptop in the world like this.. Dual 580's is hard to come by..
    Special cooler? Where would I get it?
  4. Feb 18, 2011
    The Micro Center has all your computer needs. Basicly everything you need to make or add stuff to your computer.
  5. Oct 27, 2010
    A gaming laptop is kind of an oxymoron in my opinion. Lenovo makes some pretty solid laptops, any kind of gaming rig is best built by yourself, you'll get the best deal that way; also it a lot of fun :thumbsup:

Just because its a RIDICULOUS laptop doesn't make it a good product. The Mona Lisa isn't famous for its neon colors or its size.
  6. Nov 2, 2010
    I am in University, so I like to be a little more mobile with gaming and my assignments, I can customize this laptop. Comes with 2x 580's, etc. I can afford it no problem. I am now looking for that cooling component. What's it called?
  7. Oct 27, 2010
    I imagine your assignment can be done on a $400 laptop, and the money you save could be used to build a much better gaming desktop.
  8. Jun 22, 2011
    Let the man do what he wants with his money, you can't say its an Alienware with a $400 laptop..

Only con I can see is the clock speed of the CPU.. Turbo mode in my opinion makes the CPU run wayy hotter than it should. And if you do plan on running it in turbo mode 24/7 you will want to find some sort of special cooling attachment.

Dell has a nice cooling pad TARGUS HD3 Gaming Chill Mat - Black
  9. Nov 2, 2010
    Just what I was looking for! Thanks mate, gonna take a while to order this beast, I should be able to get that Chill mat from a dell shop in downtown Adelaide, thanks again Eternal!
  10. Jun 22, 2011
    Yeah dell would be great to order from since dell owns Alienware.. I bet if you ordered both at the same time you should recieve them around the same time..

Have fun with your new laptop... lucky :razz:
  11. Oct 27, 2010
    By all means do what you would like with your money, after all what use is something if it doesn't cost a lot of money.

My caveat to such a laptop is that it is, for all intents and purposed, a desktop as it will need to be plugged in constantly, It will be heavy, and it will most likely burn itself out because of the massive amounts of heat it will generate.

Honestly I don't like Alienware as much as I don't like Apple. These are my biases. But if this is the only way to go for you then go for it.

I just think you can get a better setup for less is all.
  12. Jan 21, 2011
    Wonderful contribution here.

One of the founders of Alienware split off and formed http://www.originpc.com/ which has laptops with the same specs as those you listed. Graphics are the same but they list desktop grade i7's as the available processors. Its desktop in a laptop case basically.
  13. Aug 19, 2010
    Alienware blows chunks, not worth the money, definitely not the best out there.... rethink it yo.

14. Jun 4, 2006
    Fuck alienware. You'd save more $ by going with a site that does custom builds for you then ships it to you... cyberpowerpc is one, there's a bunch of other ones and I'm sure some aussie based ones as well.
  15. Feb 8, 2011
    1.5TB wow loading shit will be a bitch
  16. Jan 5, 2007
    My Dell XPS battery stopped holding a charge just a little over a year after I bought it, and maybe 4-5 months after that the display stopped functioning. My uncle had an Alienware(Alienware=Dell essentially) that actually caught fire and resulted in him calling the fire department to his house.

Just some things to consider before you commit to buying it.
  17. Mar 13, 2010

I quoted all this for a reason. It's all fucking true as well as:

It's going to run hot as balls with 1 gpu. With 2 you're gonna burn that out in a fucking year. No joke it wouldn't surprise me if it did catch fire even with a cooling mat. I bought a gaming laptop once from a company called ibuypower. No end to fucking problems caused from that shit due to heat. GPU burned up twice. Burned out 500gig HDD. Cooling fan fucking burned out cause it ran all the time. And this was dual core 2.8 ghz processor with a single 1 gig Nvidia graphics card. I would listen to the sage advice of the masses and consider just using a laptop for basic shit like school. (consider a Toshiba or MSI) and then build or have built a gaming desktop. We have no reason to steer you wrong here, we just dont want you to waste or have to pay our more money because shit breaks.
  18. Mar 20, 2011

Despite overpaying for a Alienware aka Dell, specs are good. You should get a targus chill pad, that notebook is going to turn into a desk furnace. Good in the winter though. Also if you are going to be running raid0 use an external drive for backups other wise if one drive goes down, you are done. All data hosed and you are going to have to re image. Otherwise that laptop will rock, but with those specs, I would go with a desktop rather than a notebook. So you know, I was out of town and was so bored I bought a crossfire HP notebook @ best buy for $679. dv6-6135dx so I could play on PF. I am getting 110fps which is not bad. I did swap out the stock HDD with a Barracuda XT hybrid SSD/Mechanical Drive. How much is that Alien Ware? I would save money and go for cheap, get an extended warranty t0o if you are using two GPU's on a notebook, your gonna need it.

Just my 2 cents.
  19. Nov 29, 2010
    A gaming laptop is a terrible idea, chipping in my two cents:

Laptops never were good with cooling, unless you want a portable means to bring a game with you, get a handheld console. You buy a gaming laptop, and it will have an average life of 1.5-2 years, then it's out of date and you can't upgrade it.

Don't ever game using the battery, it'll drain it fast, and it puts too much stress on the computer forcing itself to downclock its processor to conserve battery (Even on high performance)

Cooling is a pain with these, buying a pad will only do you so well, but getting into the nitty gritty and dusting the insides out is a pain depending on the shell.

If you want to play games. Get a desktop, put it in your dorm/room, and when things start getting out of date, buy cheap parts for it, it saves you from spending 2g's for a gaming laptop every time it goes out of date, or becomes fubar.

Now, take the money you put into buying the alienware laptop, and then put that money into the best parts you can buy.

2g's Budget:

i7 970 4.8ghz Quad -$580
    GTX 580 -$ 550
    Motherboard $250
    RAM 8gb $200
    1tb HDD: $80
    750W PSU: $130
    Cooling Case: $100

Grand Total ~$2000 Tax included.

Currently the best parts on the market get you that.

For a budget gamer:
    i7 950 $300
    GTX 460 $200
    Motherboard $200
    RAM 4gb $100
    1tb HDD $80
    650W PSU: $100
    Cooling Case$100

Grand Total ~ $1100

I haven't even added the periperals yet.

1080p monitor $100-200
    Razer Periperals: $50-150
    Printer: $50-$150
    Headphones: $50-100

Those parts are still amongst the best and haven't been considered outdated yet, able to run The Witcher 2 at a silky smooth 40fps

If you wanna get fancy, you could throw in a second gtx 460, and be able to run a triple monitor set. for an additional $500 (Monitors and gpu's)