Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Good antivirus setup

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by conflict, Aug 7, 2011

1. Jul 25, 2011
    Hey just wanted to share my antivirus setup which should run good if you have a fairly fast computer. It should keep your computer completely clean

1. ESET - Antivirus Software with Spyware and Malware Protection
    I usually just get a new trial every time it runs out lol

2. Comodo Firewall
    Should probably disable the ESET firewall if your going to use Comodo

3. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    So far it has detected more spyware/viruses etc than any other program I have used before.

4. CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning
    Not an antivirus program, but overall a great program to clean your registry and get rid of junk files etc
  2. Feb 18, 2011
    1. Kaspersky Pure
    2. Microsoft Security Essentials
    3. Malwarebytes'
    I use CCleaner too, but its not an antivirus tool :\
  3. Jul 25, 2011
    Ya kaspersky is great to. And ya ccleaner isn't and antivirus tool but is just a great program to have overall in my oppinion
  4. Jun 17, 2011
  5. Mar 12, 2008

edit: Licensed AVG

Get on my security level
  6. Apr 9, 2007
    I'm using nothing... which is probably a bad thing.

Oh well though.
  7. Sep 26, 2010
    Ad-Aware Free Version

No issues for 3 years now :thumbsup:
  8. Mar 26, 2011
    2: Malwarebytes <------- Best shit ever
  9. May 15, 2011

It's light, fast and does it's job.

To be honest though it only comes in handy when you don't know what to look for.

Otherwise I find antivirus programs rather useless.

I use to have Kaspersky, AVG, Malwarebytes, Microsoft Essentials, Ad Aware, ESET, AVAST!, McAfee, Panda, Spybot, Trend Micro, and a few others.

But they all do the same thing, which is next to nothing in my opinion.
  10. Jun 10, 2011
    Working in the virus removal field the only two programs i have seen work are Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro. Each one of those programs listed above (minus ccleaner obviously) have come in infected with the newest malware/trojan. While Malwarebytes is free (however you need to update it and run it on your own) Hitman pro is a one time use for removal then you have to buy it. Hitman is great for rootkits which is something Malwarebytes is not. Its another form of a system takeover.

My personal suggestion, buy Malwarebytes so it runs in the backround. You dont need anything else, especially a antispyware program. If you have windows XP you can try running combofix, but thats a use at your own risk program. It only works on 32bit systems.

edit - Take my opinion for what its worth, i work on systems daily with this nonsence.
  11. Jun 23, 2010
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Those 2 its all you need, unless you do some stuff that requires more O_O And maybe a firewall if your really paranoid.
  12. Mar 20, 2011
    Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware if you are paranoid. Also make sure you are behind a hardware firewall as well, like a router with NAT. If you do not surf for pr0n and torrent illegal items then MSE should be more than efficient.

For a nice footprint cleaner, Ccleaner is the way to go too.
  13. Oct 27, 2010
    I've had Bitdefender for a few years but recently I've had it up to here with them :banghead: . It's gotten so that counter strike source won't start unless I uninstall the freaking antivirus. I'll check Hitman out and see how that is and run along with AVG or something similar NOD32.

I've always used Spybot S&D but Malwarebytes works well too. Ideally really no single one is best, It's good to have a couple to work in conjunction.
  14. Jun 10, 2011
    Hitman pro is great for root kits and whatnot. When a system is taken over by the Vundo trojan (worst one out there for the past few years) sometimes its so bad i cant run anything but hitman pro. I only run Malwarebytes (paid version) and Ccleaner.

I used to run Avira but even they went downhill as of late in not catching the infamous trojan.
  15. May 15, 2011

Awhile ago my laptop got some virus that deleted some files and whatnot, so every time I tried to start it up, it would restart itself after the load up screen.

I still don't know what it was, so maybe that Trojan you're talking about is it?

But the only reason I got it was because of my own impatience under stress.

I really don't think you need a anti-virus program unless you don't know how to look for viruses.

My case was simply user stupidity, otherwise, I can usually pick out what's legit or not.

Even when I torrent, it's not hard to know what to look for.

And as long as your not looking at sexy pronz or playing on little kids sites, it should be fine.

In my opinion.
  16. Oct 27, 2010
    I'm trying out NOD32 right now, I'm liking it so far. I've been reading a lot of back and forth between it and Avira; I've used Avira before but for whatever reason I seem to be adverse to it. I don't really remember what turned me off of it, and for all I know it could be unfounded. I'll try out Eset stuff for now I guess.

I wonder if any of these would be able to catch that Mac battery exploit Charlie Miller was talking about.
  17. Jun 10, 2011
    well for one the free version popped up shit all the time after updates lol