Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Good Old Games - Sales and Discussion

Discussion in Gaming started by Vadleon, Jun 20, 2012

1. Jan 12, 2011
    (Since the other thread summed it up well)
    For those unfamiliar, there is an online game distributor called Good Old Games that specializes in selling older games for cheap and without DRM (digital rights management). This is extremely appealing since many older games are 1) hard to find and 2) if you can find them are usually tied to some particular service (Steam for example). I strongly recommend checking out the site if you haven't heard of or seen it before. It has all sorts of games you might remember, so shop around!

Link to GOG Homepage

(Yay for copy-paste)
    For anyone unsure about the site, just poke around and investigate. It's not so foreign as console gamers checking out Steam for the first time. Personally, me and my brother have followed it for a long time and it's been very helpful to be able to repurchase older games that have been brought up to compatibility standards for newer OS's. They don't host games as DRM-free downloads against the will of the owning companies - they work out contracts to license it out just like Steam. The chief difference is that GOG doesn't require you to be logged in to play it. Think of the way games used to be managed back in the 90's - pop in floppy, punch in random page numbers from manual, and boom, the game is yours to play at your leisure. Hence the name Good Old Games. I won't say all games are that simple to install (lol floppy drives...), but I've been able to find and play old favorites like Duke Nukem and Rollercoaster Tycoon thanks to the place. I trust it as much as I do Steam. Of course I spend far less time on the site and more time just playing games. :razz:

On to the purpose of this thread:
    While I don't expect to bump this each week with something new, I'd like myself and others to gather GOG announcements, sales, and discussion into this thread. This is so we don't have to keep making separate threads for neat GOG things.

Now go find some old games and have fun! :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
      Vadleon, Jun 20, 2012 Last edited by Vadleon, Sep 22, 2012
    • Jan 12, 2011
      (reserved for WORDS, sales, or other organization so the OP doesn't become massive)
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Sale: Weekend Promo 10/6/12
      This weekend's promo called the 'Activision Greats' has 31 titles marked down 60%, including the Gabriel Knight series, Interstate 76 (82 was meh), the King's Quest series, and the Zork series. Complete listings can be found here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous "Battle of the Games" discounts
      Vadleon, Jun 20, 2012 Last edited by Vadleon, Oct 6, 2012
    • Feb 1, 2011
      Cool! Thanks for the info Vad. Can you get really epic old stuff on here like the Playstation edition of FFII(FFIV) / Chrono Trigger?
    • Feb 9, 2012
      yum, chrono trigger. love that game. basically how i got my 2 different names.
    • Jan 12, 2011
      Those particular ones aren't on there, but there are plenty of others to find! Their full list is here. (I suggest sorting by title to make it easier.)
    • Jan 12, 2011
      60% off - Postal 2 Complete Pack (which includes the Share the Pain and Apocalypse Weekend expansions) for $3.99!
      40% off - Serious Sam: The Second Encounter for $3.59!

Round 4 games to vote on:
      Gothic
      Arx Fatalis

Also, I forgot to mention that each day's deals roll over at 9am EST (6am PST). If you want the games, be sure to order that day or wake up really early!
      Vadleon, Jun 21, 2012 Last edited by Vadleon, Jun 22, 2012
    • Jan 12, 2011
      60% off - Arx Fatalis for $2.39!
      40% off - Gothic for $5.99!

Tomorrow's games to vote on (Round 5):
      Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars (The Director's Cut)
      The Last Express
    • Apr 1, 2012
      not too shabby, but they could really expand their collection :grin:
    • Jan 12, 2011
      There are some notable ones that I wish they could add, but I imagine working out licenses and agreements can be tricky for the popular ones, especially when there might be overlap with other game services who may have interests to keep it exclusive.

Also, sorry about being late on this today:

Today's discounts (Round 5):
      60% off - The Last Express for $2.39!
      40% off - Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars (The Director's Cut) for 3.59!

Tomorrow's games to vote on (Round 6):
      UFO: Afterlight
      Jagged Alliance 2
    • Jan 12, 2011
      60% off - Jagged Alliance 2 for $3.99!
      40% off - UFO: Afterlight for 5.99!

Tomorrow's games to vote on (Round 7):
      Sacred Gold
      Divine Divinity
    • Jan 12, 2011
      60% off - Divine Divinity for $2.39!
      40% off - Sacred Gold for 5.99!

Tomorrow's games to vote on (Round 8):
      B-17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th
      Red Baron Pack (which includes Red Baron 1, Red Barn: Mission Builder, and Red Baron 3D)
    • Jan 12, 2011
      60% off - Red Baron Pack (which includes Red Baron 1, Red Barn: Mission Builder, and Red Baron 3D) for $3.99!
      40% off - B-17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th for $3.59!

Tomorrow's games to vote on (Round 9):
      Realms of Arkania 3
      Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator
    • Jan 12, 2011
      60% off - Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator for $2.39!
      40% off - Realms of Arkania 3 for $3.59!

Tomorrow's games to vote on (Round 10):
      Syberia
      The Longest Journey
    • Jan 12, 2011
      60% off - The Longest Journey for $3.99!
      40% off - Syberia for $5.99!

Tomorrow's games to vote on (Round 11):
      Lords of the Realm: Royal Edition (which includes Lords of the Realm, Lords of the Realm II, and Lords of the Realm Siege Pack expansion)
      Stronghold Crusader
    • Jan 12, 2011
      60% off - Stronghold Crusader for $3.99!
      40% off - Lords of the Realm: Royal Edition (which includes Lords of the Realm, Lords of the Realm II, and Lords of the Realm Siege Pack expansion) for $3.59!

Tomorrow's games to vote on (Round 12):
      The Whispered World
      Trine
    • Jan 12, 2011
      60% off - The Whispered World for $5.99!
      40% off - Trine for $5.99!

Tomorrow's games to vote on (Round 13):
      Two Worlds
      The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut
    • Jan 12, 2011
      60% off - Two Worlds for $3.99!
      40% off - The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut for $5.99!

Tomorrow's games to vote on (Round 14):
      Little Big Adventure (Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure)
      Another World: 15th Anniversary Edition
    • Jan 12, 2011
      60% off - Another World: 15th Anniversary Edition for $3.99!
      40% off - Little Big Adventure (Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure) for $3.59!

Tomorrow's games to vote on (Round 15):
      Scratches (Director's Cut)
      Sanitarium
    • Jan 12, 2011
      Sorry for the late update, but I've been doing more things at home. :/

Today's discounts (Round 15):
      60% off - Sanitarium for $3.99!
      40% off - Scratches (Director's Cut) for $5.99!

Tomorrow's games to vote on (Round 16):
      Spacechem
      The Incredible Machine Mega Pack (includes Even More Incredible Machine, The Incredible Machine 3 (which has all the levels from The Incredible Machine 2), Contraptions, and Even More Contraptions)

Edit: Fixed typo. Also, take note of the legendary puzzler up for sale tomorrow. Vote now!
      Vadleon, Jul 3, 2012 Last edited by Vadleon, Jul 3, 2012
    • Jan 12, 2011
      60% off - The Incredible Machine Mega Pack (includes Even More Incredible Machine, The Incredible Machine 3 (which has all the levels from The Incredible Machine 2), Contraptions, and Even More Contraptions) for $3.99!
      40% off - Spacechem for $5.99!

Tomorrow's games to vote on (Round 17):
      Outcast
      Psychonauts

If anyone enjoys a really clever and classic puzzler, buy The Incredible Machine! The game is based on designing Rube Goldberg machines, so you can either solve and complete existing puzzles or create your own! :nerd: