Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Graduation in 4 Months

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by iProbie, Jul 24, 2012

1. Apr 1, 2012
    Going to graduate from university in 4 months.. can't believe 3 years in university passed so quickly..

I think I'm not yet ready to leave behind the good life that belongs to a normal student/kid.
    I'm not sure if I can handle the pressure of entering a true adult life.

for those who have experienced it, how do you manage the transition from a student to full-time working adult?

what do I need to do to make sure that my life after the student years is completely manageable and meaningful..
  2. May 5, 2011
    Early Congratz! Hope things go well after your graduation and you get the dream job you want :grin:
  3. May 15, 2011
    You work. You sleep. And you work again. You may be nervous at first but then it's all MEH after you get use to it. Also, save your money. Don't go blowing it like a cocky cock thinking it will all come back instantly. Try setting up a plan for it. Ex: 20% for food/10% for entertainment, etc. Per month. Shit like that. It really does help you save money. And watch your expenses. At best TRY not to get loans and shit, as those only add up and they really hurt you in the long run. Also, what did you take?
  4. Sep 25, 2010
    Get a partner and build your lives together. That will set your head right.
  5. Nov 11, 2011
    I'm in my 5th and final year as a computer engineer and applied math major. I work two jobs and I have a loan of 6grand I still need to pay off. You don't have the option of not working. Remember how your teachers used to tell you "better do good in elementary school because high school is tough" and "better do good in high school because college is tough." Well your teachers can say "better do good in college because life is tough." It's all the same bro, you work, eat, sleep, and enjoy yourself once in a while. It's a little rough at first but that's the only way you can earn money and live a decent life. The worst thing you can do is go into it with a bad attitude. Set your attitude right, stay positive, and believe in yourself. :thumbsup:

EDIT:

Not unless he pays them off in good time, it'll help his credit.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Apr 1, 2012
      taking a major in accounting and finance..
      starting to look for internship positions probably because bachelor degree is really meh atm...

I might continue pursuing more degrees/titles, but also want to work part time to fund my studies myself.. my parents have been really nice to me because they've been paying all the bills and I have zilch working experience...
    • Feb 11, 2007
      Grats Probie, I graduate this fall too with exercise science, but it's mainly an internship that's required - one of the professor's has a giant list of internship sites which was pretty nice. Depending on your college, I definitely recommend going to any career fair type events they may hold if you're looking for a random job right away. I was at one just the other week just to see how it is and many different companies/federal agencies were there. There's other events you can go to as well to learn how to boost your resume and such. but i'm sure you can find all of that on the internet anyway.
    • Jun 20, 2012
      Go get a masters!! or PhD! or something! school doesnt have to end! Getting a higher degree is always a good choice even if you have to get a few subsidized and unsubsidized loans. Personally, I want to be a doctor so I'm currently all tied up in the crazy Texas medical school application process lol.. Either way, school doesnt have to end and a masters program really helps ease the transition. Most programs also have some alumni programs to help you find a masters level job, most of which you could not get as a BA/BS alone.
    • Jan 31, 2011
      Congrats! That's a very, very mixed-emotions type situation and one that I'll never forget.

I can only speak for myself in saying that completely killing myself through high school and undergrad. with academics, fraternity and all the rest made me very relieved to be done and entering the private sector working.
      If it's your first time being out there as an independent, it's amazingly liberating and sobering to realize that.

The most crucial and central aspect of the transition is probably an obvious one, but is worth emphasizing: keep relationships! I'm not sure what your Bachelor's is in, but whatever it is, chances are almost certain you have dozens of close friends and colleagues that are making almost all of the same changes you are preparing for. Stay close with them, share advice and information, etc. We've all experienced the relief of being in touch with people who are undergoing the same daunting changes that we are and what a good feeling that is. This is no exception.

Insofar as maintaining a life that strikes you as meaningful and fulfilling is concerned, I suppose that will mostly depend on what you're getting into. I hope that you've elected a line of work that excites you and one that is likely to give you "flow" for the duration of your career. Although you'll become a member of a very different and more formal cohort, maintain your existing relationships that you've been acclimated to all throughout college. Continue to go out on the weekends or partake of whatever activities with friends that you did previously. Now that you've "made it" and assuming you won't be returning for grad. school in the near future (like some of us miserable creatures are), sit down and take the last 3-4 years in! If you're anything like me, they've completely zoomed by in a flash. Take measure of your accomplishments, your defeats, times you persevered, and times you might have made different choices. This kind of retrospection is VERY healthy and should leave you thinking "I'm a success. I've just reached the apex of one journey and I'm ready to start cruising down the other side of the mountain, doing a job that I've dreamed about (hopefully) and rolling in the money."

For most people, it's a time for a new skill-set, new sets of goals and aspirations. Instead of grades, completing essays on time and padding your resume, you might be concerning yourself with a car note, a mortgage and how to stand out as a new member of your industry, whatever it is.

In a nutshell, do not worry. Unless you're among the unfortunate group of young people who are graduating into fields that aren't in demand at all right now, you're going to be happy. The same sort of day-to-day hustle will probably start all over again, and you'll be 5 years deep into your career as quickly as you zipped through college.

Best luck and don't hesitate to ask!