Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Graphics Card Issues [PLEASE HELP!]

Discussion in Technical Support started by dillinger, Aug 7, 2012

1. Feb 1, 2011
    I have 2 Radeon 6870s and I am having some serious issues. When playing any game, my screen will randomly flip out and start wrapping around, so that the left side of my screen is on the right and there is a seam in the middle. Sometimes it completely flips out and there is just glitchy stuff all over the screen, screen tearing, or just a black screen. Is my graphics card going bad?

Sometimes it happens randomly while I am playing, and other times it happens when I try to alt-tab.

Here are some pictures:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    dillinger, Aug 7, 2012 Last edited by dillinger, Aug 7, 2012
  2. Nov 11, 2011
    Seems like an unstable card... any chance you overclocked or had unusual temperature shifts?
  3. Mar 20, 2011
    It looks indeed like a GPU issue. If you do a cold boot does it start artifacting right away or does it work for a while? If it works for a while pull the card out and get some compressed air blown into the card to clear all air pathways. It may just be clogged with dust causing overtemp issues. My cards run as hot as 105 Celsius and have not failed yet...
    Churma, Aug 7, 2012 Last edited by Churma, Aug 7, 2012
  4. Feb 1, 2011
    It works until I start playing a video game, and then eventually starts fucking up like that. I'll try reseating / cleaning it - but I can't find my screwdriver atm and that shit is screwed into the case. Thanks!
  5. Mar 20, 2011
    Oh so in deed a thermal issue. If you have a box fan, try opening the case and blasting the fan directly into the case and see if it becomes stable.
  6. Feb 1, 2011
    Man I really hope you're right and I will try everything you suggested. Thanks a ton
  7. Nov 11, 2011
    It definitely is a heating issue, that's why I asked whether or not you overclocked. Or your thermal paste simply dried up. Just get some thermal paste for a couple of bucks and apply it. You'll be golden.
  8. Mar 20, 2011
    Dillinger's Super Cooler Computer After Mod

[IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Feb 1, 2011
      For real. At the moment I have the side of the case open with a little table fan blowing at the graphics cards :neutral:
    • Mar 20, 2011
    • Dec 6, 2011
      @dillinger Try updating/downgrading the driver's first... you never want to start big. It's usually the smaller things that are the problem too.
    • Feb 1, 2011

Everything is A.O.K. now, but I need to find an alternative to this ghetto rig I have going on right now :neutral:
    • Oct 1, 2011
    • May 14, 2011
      Dude use msi afterburner and set your fan to 100%