Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Graphics Card

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Ghost, Jun 16, 2012

1. May 14, 2011

Okay bad question, I'll tell you the situation first, I have a XFX HD6970 2GB at the moment and I have relatives flying over from america to UK in 2 weeks time. So Because GPUs are much cheaper in the US I will be importing myself a GPU and selling my 6970.

It could sell for £170 so thats £150 with the ebay commision taken off.

I am looking for this upgrade to cost me <£100 and also is it worth upgrading.

I really like the look of the 7950, thats right up my price range.

NOTE: I will be buying 2nd hand most likley

www.dollars2pounds.com for conversion rates

Thanks a LOT for replying!

EDIT: I can see the 7950's are going for $370 but which is better Gigabytes windforce or the sapphire edition? I saw a 1.2GHz overclock on the Sapphire, Is the Gigabyte better?
    Ghost, Jun 16, 2012 Last edited by Ghost1995, Jun 16, 2012
  2. Feb 12, 2012
    Uh oh, a thread about graphics cards. Let the flame wars begin!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • May 14, 2011
      ANY FLAMES AND I WILL REQUEST A LOCK!
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Dec 2, 2011
      • May 14, 2011
        I'm just wating for @Brett to chip in. He seems to be technically inclined. However, I know there are others who know a lot about this so im just waiting. Forums usually gets active later so i'm just gunna leave this thread to build overnight :razz:.
      • Feb 12, 2012
        Spend money on a CPU to decrease your compile times, although there is no need with the 1100T oc'ed. If you want cheap, might I suggest the 560/570/580 series from eVga.
      • Dec 6, 2011
        @Ghost1995 Any factory overclocking can be accomplished by yourself. Don't be seduced into the bullshit =) And yes, if the 7950 is your price range, grab it. It overclocks like a fucking mother f**king beast f**king ass bitch'n f**kin' graphics card. That's how much it overclocks. Mine, I have a profile saved for 1.175GHz with a small voltage bump, which is godly, and even surprisingly runs pretty damn cool with the fan up a little bit (this one:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150588, holy shit it's only $360 + $30 MIR + 10% coupon?????? whaaaaaaat! This is one of the best 7950's too, I wonder what XFX is thinking). I benchmarked with it, and I was getting well over scores that the GTX 680 was spewing out for quite a few games. I would also recommend the GTX 670, but over the last couple weeks of Tom's Hardware/OC3d.net forums stalking, people have been mentioning poor overclocking for the 670, so I'd say to pass it up, but that's your decision. In no way am I an AMD fanboy, I actually like Nvidia more, especially for the 2011 cards. It's just that Nvidia had so much more potential for their 2012 cards, they better make up for it with these rumors of the "GTX 685", "GTX 690" or "GTX 695".

Anyways, the XFX 7950 Double D is one sexy card. The cooling on it is extraordinary, just DON'T FORGET TO MEASURE, THAT BITCH IS LONG. I can't believe how cheap it is right now, if you could buy it this second, I'd say go ahead. The thing about the Sapphire's double fan card, is that it's been on the cheap side lately on all versions of AMD cards, and hasn't been TOO great in terms of cooling. Don't get me wrong, it runs better than a stock cooler, but I'd grab a XFX Double D or a Twin Frozr before it. It's actually a little pricey for the 7950 right now, not sure why to be honest.

Btw, to answer your edit, it should go something like this: XFX Double D = MSI Twin Frozr/Lightning > Gigabytes non-stock cooler > Sapphire's Dual Fan cooler

Your price range needs to be twice as much to get a 7950 though O.O $157 wouldn't be an upgrade from a 6970 =|

@sajak It's always best to buy a current series GPU, for future games, so you don't run into problems that are caused by older GPU processing. That is, unless you find a 2011 series card for cheap, like people have been buying the 480's for $200 a pop, when they equal a 570 in terms of performance (570's go for $270-$320). A good example would be, when BF4 comes out, and they implement some brand new texture rendering technology, and the 280 that you have decides that it doesn't want to run it correctly. A few cards run into this quite often, but most of the time it's actually driver issues. I always buy newer, but if you can pick up a 580 for like $300, be my guest, that's an awesome steal. :thumbsup:

*looks at this post, and every other hardware related post*
        Why do I talk so much about this stuff? Lol
        • Informative Informative x 2
        • Nov 11, 2011
          lol Brett, if I had real money I wouldn't mind buying the latest hardware all the time. But knowing ghost, I doubt he really plays any latest games lol. But I wouldn't really consider the 580 a thing of the past if he can get it for cheap. I just don't like to dish out hundreds over a new product that'll get a price cut in a few months down the road :razz:
        • Dec 6, 2011
          Everything gets a price cut overtime in the technology world, it's always going to happen. When a 8800GT came out, it was hundreds of dollars. Now, it's barely equal to a $50 GPU. Also, he'd be futureproofed for around 5 years with that awesome 7950. 3GB if VRAM will hold him over for a long time, that's for sure.
        • Nov 11, 2011
          That's what we all say when a new card comes out "futureproofed." Experience says there is no such thing if you're a real gamer (CSS ZM doesn't count) :razz:
        • Dec 6, 2011
          Actually, futureproofing doesn't apply for everything. Especially the lower, mainstream cards. Or, if you bought something like a 6950 1GB or 570 1.2GB, then you'll have some problems in the near future. But now that a 7950/7970 3GB is available, and a GTX 680 4GB will soon be available, you're going to be well-off for quite some time. Some things are just clearly junk and will be shit in a year or two, and other things will last a while.
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Nov 29, 2010
            Currently with a lot of games still launching for the ps3/xbox the pc game requirements have been low as of late.

"Future Proofing" I don't see how a 580 or a 6970 can't last until 2014 running games on max settings, let alone the new juggernauts on the market today.

Don't get me wrong though, if you have the money to drop on something modern, get it. It'll save you money in the long run instead of constantly buying outdated cards every year or so.
          • Dec 7, 2011
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • May 14, 2011
              Hmm the whole point of me buying this card now is I can get the card from the US w/o paying the taxes because my relatives are coming over, this happens once a year, hence my kind of rushed upgrade, my 6970 is only 3 months old, although I bought it second hand for £160 which was a DEAL.

I really like the look of that Newegg deal. Unless someone else has something to say I will be getting it as soon as I get the go from my family that they have enough space for it.

Kinda derpy question but how does your taxing system work because I remember last year when i bought a tablet from US I got taxed like £20 on the spot just for buying.

Also what is this?

Capture I assume I get 3 free games?

I doubt I will be able to use it cause i'm from UK? Or will I?

EDIT: As a comparison the same card QY found for me is going for £360 in the UK

EDIT2: I am also buying the Switch 810 so size is NO problem.
              Ghost, Jun 17, 2012 Last edited by Ghost1995, Jun 17, 2012
            • May 14, 2011
              Was just about to buy it and it went out of stock! Gah. Any more good deals on this card in US? I don't really know good sites in US I need to to be delivered to NY by 1st July. Hopefully some other deals will pop up soon.

EDIT: argh if im mot mistaken they re-listed it for $50 extra

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150589
              Ghost, Jun 18, 2012 Last edited by Ghost1995, Jun 18, 2012
            • Mar 19, 2011
              • May 14, 2011
                Its still quite expensive at $390. The newegg deal was $360 which i was a fool to miss. I will wait till something <$370 comes up.

Could someone post a list of good sites to look at. (trusted sites). I'm a bit clueless when it comes to US site. I guess I will wait 1 more day to see if the new egg deal goes back in stock.

EDIT: I am not only picking the XFX DD, any decent card that has good review will be good. I don't think i will shift away from the 7950 though.
                Ghost, Jun 18, 2012 Last edited by Ghost1995, Jun 18, 2012
              • Mar 19, 2011
                I will look around for you and see what If I can find around the 360-370 price.
                • Friendly Friendly x 1