Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

GTA: San Andreas Multiplayer

Discussion in Gaming started by Ray, Jan 28, 2013

1. Aug 18, 2006

Does anyone here play this, or play San Andreas?

Yes, it's for an older GTA game, however, arguably the best. GTA: San Andreas came out for PS2 in 2004 and PC in 2005. A group of modders (me being one of the lead developers) wanted to play San Andreas in a multiplayer environment, so we made a mod to turn the game into multiplayer, and a year later we released it. We started working on the multiplayer framework with GTA: Vice City (VC:MP), since San Andreas was not yet released for PC, so we had a decent head start before the game even came out. When SA:MP first came out, servers were limited to 100 slots, however, servers were quickly getting filled and so we expanded the game to support 1000 players per server. It's now considered an MMO.

No, we do not have the game's source code. This game is basically a giant hack that hooks in to the game and manipulates memory. It is not unlike a trainer the way it functions, on a technical level.

What's even more amazing, is that you would be expecting a mod for a 7 year old game to be dying out. Well, this is not the case. We are constantly breaking player records. Just a couple weekends ago we had 51,161 people online at once. That's as popular as Counter-Strike...

SA:MP is completely customizable. No two servers are the same. Servers can be roleplay, racing, deathmatch, team deathmatch, stunting, gang wars, you name it. The server uses the PAWN scripting engine (extremely similar to that of Source's SourceMod) so people can customize the game experience as they please.

Some of you may have heard about the other server I run for SA:MP, it's called Partyserver. It's a 400 slot team deathmatch/gang war server based in San Fierro. It's running one of the most advanced scripts ever made for SA:MP (currently totals at nearly 60,000 lines of code in the main script, not including the many plugins for added functionality), and it has many, many features. It's also one of the most popular servers for SA:MP.

Players from all over the world play. Currently I am looking at players playing from the U.S., Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Chile, Columbia, El Salvador, Japan, Peru, Turkey, Russia, etc. The list goes on and on, so there's a lot of diversity.

Anyways, if you don't have San Andreas, you should get it. It's only a 4GB install. If you have San Andreas, install SA:MP sometime and try playing!
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Oct 7, 2012
      Wow you're lead dev for SA:MP? That's sweet. I knew I should have gotten San Andreas. I'll get it when I can.
    • Aug 18, 2006
      I was a developer, but now I am just a beta tester since I was inactive for a little while. We are working on getting a new release, 0.3x out the door.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Apr 2, 2011
        I probably will try it out at some point... though to be honest, sounds a lot like APB: Reloaded (even though the latter is clearly based off of GTA...)
      • Oct 17, 2011
        I still play that game on my old ps2 and it still never gets boring. I beat the campaign like 20 times already.it is the most fun and played game in Lebanon.
        I am looking forward to playing gta San Andreas multiplayer.
      • Aug 10, 2012
        I play samp every now and then, but it's awesome to hear you were a developer!
        It's okay, it gets boring a lot but it is a nice, relaxing game.
      • Sep 7, 2010
        I never knew about this D: Very fun!
      • Aug 18, 2006
        SA:MP 0.3x was just released today:

- A new model preview system makes it easier to find player skins, vehicle types, and object models in-game.
        - The draw distance of objects can be set to any distance, which reduces the pop-in on custom areas.
        - Improvements to object and material colour changing.
        - A better synced animation for players carrying objects.
        - Vehicle friendly fire system for servers that use teams.
        - Some new hat and hair objects added.
        - Many important changes to SA-MP's networking system which reduces network overhead and improves security for server owners.

Will be the last 0.3 release before 0.4. SA:MP 0.4 will have some major changes/features added.
        • Like Like x 2
        • Winner Winner x 1
        • Dec 30, 2011
          Been playing SA:MP for about 2 years now, it's fun but can get boring very quickly

I guess it depends on what server you're on though, the cops and robbers servers are always fun as they have something parallel to a leveling system
        • Sep 6, 2010
          Interesting. I've heard there were online servers for GTA. Thought they were for GTA 4
        • Apr 9, 2007
          There's both.
        • Aug 18, 2006
          What servers do you play on?

Well, kinda. GTA4 doesn't have a dedicated server system. Well, there's IV:MP, but they are/were using leaked SA:MP source without permission or credit.
        • Apr 9, 2007
          SA-MP should probably re-license if they're not looking to work on other games but persecute those who are.
        • Aug 18, 2006
          SA:MP isn't open source. I am not sure what licensing would do?

Me personally, I am not accusing IV:MP of anything. There are others that know more about the matter than I.
        • Dec 30, 2011
          I can't remember the names of them, I used to hop from one to another quite a bit

Since my last pc reformat I haven't gotten round to re-installing the game, been busy with BF3 and DayZ :razz: