Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

GTX 260 SLI Issue

Discussion in Technical Support started by Anathema, Aug 16, 2012

1. Feb 18, 2011
    Soooo, as many of you know I built a computer recently. My two GTX 260's were being assholes and decided not to SLI. So I explored help from people, made a thread on overclock (http://www.overclock.net/t/1286917/sli-option-unavailable/10), and now I am here.
    Cards:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125391 <----Gigabyte
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-260/specifications <---- nVidia

I have tried basically everything, disabling HPT, different SLI bridge, reseating, using different slots, reinstalling drivers, rolling back driver versions, and lastly I just tried flashing the bios of the nvidia card to the gigabyte card to see if that would do anything, but it did not. Current card specs are below after the flashing. If you know the problem or suspect what it is please, please help. D:
    1 2
  2. Aug 1, 2011

Why would you go for an out of date graphics card when you could purchase a newer one for a few more bucks?

And what exactly are your cards doing when you try to SLI them together?

The only things that i can see that are different is the fact that the cores aren't the same, and the interface speeds are different. Based on what NVidia says on their site, that shouldn't be an issue since the faster card should slow down to the speed of the slower card.
  3. Feb 18, 2011
    First, I bought these last year, I wasn't looking for a giant boost like I am now. I'm buying a new card soon.

Second, they show up and everything, they just won't SLI.

The reason everything is the same is because I flashed the BIOS of one onto the other. The problem persisted before I did this as well.
  4. Aug 1, 2011
    So no errors or anything pop up when you go to enable SLI?
  5. Feb 18, 2011
    Nope, it SHOULD show up saying 'set physx and SLI configuration' but it just says 'set physx configuration'.
  6. Apr 9, 2007
    You need two of the same cards for SLI. You can't mix Processors, even though you have the same BIOS. If it was working before, flash back.
  7. Feb 18, 2011
    You sure they need to be the same? A lot of people use different brands of cards to SLI and do it successfully. As long they are the same model they should work right?
  8. Apr 9, 2007
    That's Crossfire, sorry but your Vendor appears to be in another castle :frown:
  9. Feb 18, 2011
    • Aug 1, 2011
      Have you run SLI on your computer with different cards before?
    • Feb 18, 2011
    • Apr 9, 2007
      I apparently don't know what I'm talking about then! Sorry :frownbig:
      Post Merged, Aug 16, 2012
      via http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/sli/faq#c16

Thanks! My information is old, but the first bold is your problem.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Mar 20, 2011
        Well I can tell you this, I just installed two new 4GB 670 GTX cards today and with the 302.82 Windows 8 WHQL drivers sucked ass. When launching CSS my computer would lock up and I would have to hard boot. I then installed the beta 304.79 drivers and am no longer running into that issue. God dammit, Nvidia, I just left AMD for Nvidia thinking their drivers would have better quality, man was I wrong...
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Aug 1, 2011
          Both his cards are GTX 260s, so that shouldn't be an issue, and people say on many forums that they SLI'd them together without issue as long as the more powerful card is in the primary slot, it just slows down to the slower card.

Reading through the owners manual for the mobo, I found this. Have you tried editing this setting?

Also, have you tried changing the SLI cable its self. When I first tried doing SLI years ago, I found that my cable was damaged in some way and wasn't allowing the cards to connect.
        • Feb 18, 2011
        • Apr 9, 2007
          If you take a close look at his screenshot, they're completely different GTX 260s. You can't just shrink a die by using a magical shrink ray.
        • Aug 1, 2011

On a serious note, you're probably right. When I was looking into this, I couldn't find a good answer to if they were compatible, some people said yes while others no.
        • Feb 18, 2011
          Kyle wins gold. Now that I am getting a new card, I can sell these and put the money back into buying the M5S.