Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Guantanamo Bay

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Celexie, Nov 3, 2011

1. Jun 17, 2011
    So I am writing a paper on Guantanamo Bay and the effects it has on the nation as a whole and I would like to hear your opinions about it.

Do you think Guantanamo Bay detention camps should be shut down or stay open and what do you think about the conditions in those detention camps are they fair or cruel?
  2. Apr 2, 2011
    You already know my opinion on the matter, stay open because it is necessary for our national security... I know people will argue with me, but that is my opinion and you can't really change it :thumbsup:
  3. Sep 26, 2010
    Good paper choice :thumbsup:

Gitmo Bay should be closed indefinitely since it only serves to empower those who wish to harm American soldiers in the 130+ nations around the world. Numerous cases of sexual, physical, mental, and emotional abuse have occurred there, and none of the detainees have been found to be linked with America's "boogeymen" (aka terrorists). Such abuses, or literal crimes against humanity, include: water-boarding, beatings, torture with broken glass, cigarettes, etc. These people are literally pulled off of the streets and imprisoned against their will while being denied the chance to defend their case in a civilian court. So why are these men detained if they aren't guilty? Two words: political agenda. In order to stir panic and strife in the public eye, the government has to exasperate claims and seek justification for illegal wars the U.S. has been maintaining for years. It's laughable that the U.S. government condemns men like Gaddafi for oppressing others when it bombs nations into submission and then imprisons innocent people to keep the zeitgeist perpetuated.

Cruel and needs to be closed :teehee:
  4. Jun 17, 2011
    I see both views
    Pros: It does in a sense keep us feeling safe & they have captured 5 terrorists that attacked during 9/11.
    Cons: i agree with muffin that the treatment there is inhumane and cruel.

I can also see that if Americans were captured by other countries that they could do much worse than what happens in the detention camps, but why would we have to stoop so low to what they do? It only initiates more terrorism against the US. What are our ideals and morals now?
  5. Jul 27, 2011
    With ideas and morals, we get into a more political and biased debate. Republicans would probably agree that the treatment is fair. On the other hand, Democrats would say that the treatment is inhumane.

Your right in that other countries could do worse, but what are your views?
  6. Feb 17, 2011
    the syrian people who are getting detained are dying from torture and the syrian regime is also saying its "national security"
  7. Jun 17, 2011
    I'm more towards closing it down because of the treatments done in the camps though :confused: but I'm also worried about if they close it down what would happen to the detainees....because of the treatments it may spark more conflict towards the US. causing more problems if they were all released. Especially those who were wronged in being captured in the first place. So I'm somewhat conflicted on where I stand really.
  8. Feb 17, 2011
    and thats the reason to close it.. either put these prisoners through trial or release them
  9. Jun 17, 2011
    Its understandable why it was established in the first place by Bush but the way they are going about this is all wrong in my opinion :confused:
    What ever happened to "Innocent until proven guilty"? Even though they aren't exactly US citizens but still if the US lives up to the morals & ideals of life, liberty and justice for all with the treatments in the detention camps its not showing the ideals & morals that we so proudly try to live by....
  10. Sep 26, 2010

Most of the suspected "terrorists" involved in the 9/11 plot were found to be alive and well, while having no connections to rogue terrorist organizations. Even the FBI's homepage depicting Osama Bin Laden's photo (when he was alive) didn't list the 9/11 as the reason for him being wanted :confused:
  11. Jun 17, 2011
    Its what I've been reading in all the articles I found in the news online :confused: and NO i am not using wikipedia lol
  12. Jun 17, 2011
    Thank you guys for your inpuut~! Means a lot to me haha now I have a firm standing on what to write in my paper [IMG]
  13. Mar 12, 2008
    Yeah, the japanese kinda asked for it when they hit us at pearl harbor. We didn't just bomb them for the lulz

It was out of retaliation.

Also war lol.

Whoever has the biggest nuclear dick wins, 'Murica is still in the lead.

I think it should be left open. Whether or not these prisoners did or did not do anything, They could have just as easily been killed on the spot instead of captured.

Obv must have done something to piss someone off, so my opinion stands.
  14. Feb 21, 2007
    Gotta keep POWs somewhere (unless we adapt a "take no prisoners" policy), if its not Gitomo, then they will be held somewhere else.
  15. Oct 22, 2007
    I would like this no prisoners law and up you one with a shoot them down and be done with it policy. Again china gets shit done while we are left with our pants down...
  16. Sep 26, 2010
    But that's the point...we're not "at war" with anyone specifically...besides, Obama deployed troops into Libya without congressional consent...last I checked, we never officially declared war with Gaddafi

The Japanese were actually provoked by the U.S. into firing the first shot by having their assets frozen in the U.S, having arms sold to the Chinese and British (both enemies of the Japanese), and by cutting off their supply of oil. Plus our president had ample intel and time to determine where and when the Japanese were going to strike, but most Americans didn't want to fight just like in World War 1 before the sinking of the Lusitania.

17. Mar 12, 2008
    That's the key.

It's America's favorite past-time
  18. Feb 18, 2011
    Wouldn't exactly call them POW's since they haven't had a trial. And even if they are prisoners who did something wrong, they don't deserve torture and abuse on a daily basis.
  19. Jul 20, 2010
    I'm all up for keeping it up an running. Here's some fun facts terrorists that go to Gitmo don't have any rights and nor should be afford any. Anyone who kills people because they don't follow the same religion or have a different life style can just die slowly by dripping acid on them. The people that get shipped to Gitmo from the battlefields aren't soldiers of a country they are terrorists and are thus not protected by the Geneva accords. Sorry but hey guess what they would still torture us even if we don't do it to them, look at the videos they had put out the attacks they do. Also the president can do some nifty things about war thanks to the War Powers Act of 1812. President can go into a "conflict" for about 70 days if he wants to continue then he needs to have congress declare war. Gitmo will remain open because no matter how much the Democrats wan't them to be tried in federal court none of them want them housed in prisons in their districts so they bitch about Gitmo but whine and fight to not have them moved to their district when someone say's fine lets house them in your district. Gitmo will stay open until we get rid of all the terrorists or the whole world is destroyed or we get a bleeding heart pansy president that will weaken American even more.
  20. Feb 18, 2011
    I know that most of these people are terrorists, but nobody deserves to be tortured... America's opinon of torture is clearly not the same as many other countries.