Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Hammer not loading

Discussion in Technical Support started by Spyro, Feb 19, 2013

1. Aug 10, 2012
    whenever I open up my hammer for CS:S it is saying, "The configuration information for the game you're trying to edit is invalid or missing." then, if I click "Run anyway" I get another error message saying, "Setup file 'gameinfo.txt' doesn't exist in subdirectory steam\steamapps\(my steam user)\counter-strike source\cstrike'. Check your -game parameter or VCONFIG setting."
    I have tried validating my hammer cache and deleted my config in my cstrike but still nothing.
    It also says this when I open hammer for other games (gmod, ep1)
    Bear in mind that I can open SDK fine but not hammer itself.
  2. May 14, 2011
    Haha Ive had that issue so many times.

Ironically I forgot what I do to fix it...
    Its one of two things

1. Reset your hammer in the green box from which you launch hammer. Its one of the options further down.
    2. Re-name your gameinfo.txt to gameinfo.txt.old it should re-create a gameinfo.txt. If anything you've still got the old one.
  3. Nov 11, 2011
    Place the file I attached into the following folders (the one with the lower case letters gameinfo.txt):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\YOUR_USER_NAME\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vconfig
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\YOUR_USER_NAME\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vconfig
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\YOUR_USER_NAME\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vconfig
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\YOUR_USER_NAME\sourcesdk\bin\source2009\bin\vconfig
    Post Merged, Feb 19, 2013
    Oh... and maybe this one as well. Add this one ONLY to (the one with the capital letters GameInfo.txt):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\YOUR_USER_NAME\counter-strike source\cstrike

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Aug 10, 2012
      Ahh thanks a lot guys! Ghost's resetting thing seemed to have done it :smile:
      Thanks for the help so quickly ^^
    • Nov 11, 2011
      lol No problem :smile:
    • Apr 12, 2012
      I remember a few months ago when I installed sourcesdk I had the same problem.. I looked up a tutorial, and if I remember correctly, this "bug" seems to happen to the vast majority of people trying to run hammer.
    • Apr 9, 2012
      As Ghost told, resetting the game configurations does fix most of the things. The annoying thing about is that all your graphics options are being reset in every Orange Box game, so it's a bit stupid to go throught that all again :struggle:
    • Jul 17, 2012
      Thanks for the tutorial but my hammer is now lagging like hell in the 3D view. Is it just me or is this a common problem with this fix?
    • Jan 11, 2012
      I had it too.
      I fixed it with Edit Game Configurations > CS:S > Edit and set the directory to your_drive:\steam\steamapps\common\counter-strike source\cstrike (same for other games)
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Nah, you probably pressed the Radius Culling button. Look on top for the letter "R" with a circle around it. Unclick it.
    • Jul 17, 2012
      Did this and hammer keeps crashing with this error: Failed to load the default scheme file

It's unclicked. Doens't make any difference. Maybe my Dual Core is just too bad. :frown:
    • Nov 11, 2011
      I have no clue. Maybe go into your settings and change the Detail and Model Render distances lower and decrease your back plane. That should help.
    • Apr 25, 2013