Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Haswell CPUs and Z87 Motherboards and GTX 700 Series (Kepler refresh), oh my!

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Brett, Jun 2, 2013

Yes/No on Haswell + Z87 & Yes/No on GTX 700 Series? READ UP FIRST!

Yes to Haswell CPUs and Z87 chipset! 5 vote(s) 45.5%
No to Haswell + Z87! 3 vote(s) 27.3%
Yes to Nvidia's GTX 700 Series Kepler refresh! 5 vote(s) 45.5%
No to 700 Series! I'll wait for AMD Sea Islands/Nvidia's Maxwell release! 2 vote(s) 18.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dec 6, 2011
    So we have a crazy day today, with all new Haswell Intel CPUs releasing with a new motherboard line-up as well as another damn Kelper refresh.

Haswell CPUs:
    Haswell seems to shed some new light on better performance, but at a small cost. The 4770k and 3670k being $349 and $249 respectively. What's new about Haswell and why should I give two shits? Well for starters, it's going to score big numbers on battery life, having a smaller power draw (good for laptops). They're going to have a huge amount of overclocking head-room, a lot better than Ivy Bridge's shoddy performance in that category. The guys at Anandtech were saying upward numbers of 4.4-4.7GHz on a STANDARD AIR COOLER! CPU graphics performance is pretty updated as well.

-LINK- Anandtech's article on the Haswell release (very awesome read)

Z87 Motherboards:
    What's more is that the new Chipset with this series on the Z87 motherboards will see an abundance of attention for good reason. The memory controller will be able to run at insanely high frequencies without any trouble, so Corsairs disgustingly overpriced 2400MHz and 2800MHz RAM will run flawlessly! You're also getting default support for 6 SATA III ports, so ASRock's Z87 Extreme3 budget board with SLI/Xfire support, spots for add-on cards, 6 SATA III ports, and 6 USB 3.0 ports (starting @ $137ish) being the #1 seller of this generation should be a no brainer. Some of the higher tier boards are even sporting 8 SATA III ports, doing away with the SATA II altogether. Sadly, there's no backwards compatibility with the Haswell CPUs on older boards because they're a LGA 1150 socket (5 less pins than LGA 1155 for H/P68/Z68/Z77).

GTX 700 Series:
    Nvidia is really squeezing the shit out of Kepler with the GTX 700 series. Apparently the GTX 780 is supposed to be 90% performance of the Titan, at just 65% of the price (running at $649 while the 770 is running at $399). What I've really come to question is the decision to continue to use 2GB of video memory. This is perfectly fine with regular gaming on 1080p with a single card, but when 2560x1440 and higher comes into question, the GTX 770 with only 2GB vs. the 3GB on the GTX 780 really under-performs. The stock 7970 (~$370-$400) even gets the upper hand on a few benchmarks at these higher resolutions. I'm still interested in it though, and I like Tom's Hardware's idea of going for the 4GB versions @ 2560x1440, because they're only projected to be ~$50 more.

It's really just a toss-up on these cards, I'm quite excited for AMD's HD 8000 Series that should be releasing at the end of the year. We should be seeing some new architecture from the Sea Islands GPUs and a nice performance increase, I can't wait!

-LINK- Tom's Hardware's detailed review on the GTX 700 Series

-LINK- Anandtech's detailed review on the GTX 700 Series
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Jun 11, 2012
      While I have no plan in the near future to upgrade my PC nor my Laptop. I am interested in the Haswell hardware. I might get something for my server which I need more dedicated Sata ports. My 680 is doing still fine and I might pick up another for a SLI setup since my supply can handle so it will be like 5 min of setup and nothing else to upgrade.
    • Mar 30, 2012
      I use a Sandy-Bridge 3930K with Noctua air cooling at 4.6-4.9GHz with no problems. (You have to actually know what you're doing if you go here).
      So i'm not really impressed at the Haswell stuff at all. It seems a little bit too "gimmicky" for what a "normal" customer would consider usefull.
      I recently changed from ATI to the NVIDIA GPUs, and been quite happy with that choice. But the 780 doesn't really impress me either. Maybe i'm just asking for too much.

Also, seriously, don't depend on Tom's Hardware, shill and paid reviews everywhere, not to mention the bullshit charts. Seriously.

Oh, and no-one sane is gonna give a flying fuck about "2400MHz" or "2800MHz" RAM for another 8 years.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      First off, you're using a $600 extreme series CPU... with a top of the line air cooler. We're talking about a budget CPU (4670k) with a stock Intel cooler.

Tom's Hardware is a very respected and prestigious website, with excellent staff and reviews, I've absolutely no idea where you're getting your banter from. They are one of the greatest forums that offer their full help whenever you go there.

And having motherboards that can support such high frequencies means faster technology advancement in the memory category, so it's not necessarily a bad thing. Yes, it's pointless now but it offers us more possibilities in the future.

Please do not talk down to people or slander if you have no idea what you're talking about. You're not all-that, don't act like it.
      Post Merged, Jun 2, 2013
      In other news of this release, Microcenter is going all out with their sales on this, holy shit:

Capture
      Capture2
      Capture3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Jan 30, 2013
        If anyone is going to get a 780, you'd probably be better off getting a faster varient(if you can afford to shell out the extra dosh), as it would push even better performance, in not on par with the titan, while still being cheaper(and overvolting/overclocking should push performance above the titan). The only downside is the 3gb of memory; which is the main reason why I wont get any untill 4gb+ varients arrive(if they do).

As for Haswell, I'd hold on it, unless your at least 3 generations old(or could use a better CPU). Aside from the better power consuption/performace per watt, its still to small an upgrade(although its a nice upgrade nonetheless) to warrant spending ~500 bucks on it plus a new mobo. My 2700k still holds up well for the most part. I'll wait for Ivy-E or Haswell-E since Haswell is only quad core cpu's at this point.

Also for those who aren't keeping track, we have about 4 years(probably) untill silicon ends its rein as the main ingredient in a CPU(broadwell or skylake would probably be the end for silicon). Curious to see what intel uses next
        I also wish I lived near a Microcenter, those are some very nice deals on the Haswell cpu's :hypnotized:

Im sure a good amount of people will, especially the ones who overclock ram like hell to achieve world records.
        RedM00N, Jun 2, 2013 Last edited by RedM00N, Jun 2, 2013
      • May 14, 2011
        Haswell is bad. There is literally no point of upgrading from IB.

When you start to overclock temperatures sky rocket. Even a H100i cannot keep this CPU in check at 3.6GHz which was considered a very high end solution for IB CPUs.
      • Mar 20, 2011
        I will wait for next gen to come out before upgrading.

No Nvidia in the future for me, I will be rolling the 8000 series next build.
        • Like Like x 1
        • Dec 6, 2011
          Where do you get this information? You don't even have a Haswell. I'd trust the officials down at Anandtech when they say they achieved 4.4-4.7GHz easily on a standard air cooler over some random person on the internet. Why does everybody keep throwing in bullshit information like they've owned these things for years...?
          • Zing! Zing! x 1
            Brett, Jun 2, 2013 Last edited by Brett, Jun 2, 2013
          • Apr 9, 2012
            I've heard (based on only one article quite a while ago) that they are redesigned 7000's with almost no performance gain. I love ATI and I will always use them, but if that's true I will just wait for the 7000's to lower in price (again lower as they are already quite cheap imo) and not use 8000's. I will as always wait out the benchmarks and reviews ofc.

Thanks for the heads-ups it's pretty interesting. Never heard of Hashwell
          • Dec 6, 2011
            Didn't hear that before, that's interesting. AMD actually skipped this year's refresh, which is why you didn't see new cards this spring. Instead, they knocked down the prices and added 4 free games for any high-end cards you buy (what an awesome deal!). I'm going to assume that they'll be working on the Sea Islands GPU, regardless of any other information from AMD, because who would refresh after almost a 2 year wait? O.o
          • Mar 12, 2008

boring.

I'm going to wait for the 8000 to drop so the 7000 series gets cheaper. I have a great card right now but I'll think of it as an investment later down the line. I suppose if I tear up enough carpet I can eventually afford an 8000 series card.
          • Dec 6, 2011

But anyways, if you're not adding on a 2nd card, always go with the current generation because the price/performance is always the best. Yes they get cheaper, but the performance also diminishes.
          • May 14, 2011
            Actually TTL made a video right here showing what happens with temps at load in real-time so watch what you call bullshit information. Just because you don't know about something doesn't mean its not true.

via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrLtjgbga5g
          • Dec 6, 2011
            IIRC, when you run something @ 4.6GHz @ load, it's going to get hot. I'm still seeing playable temps, these are somewhat expected for a generic closed-loop water cooling solution.
          • May 14, 2011
            As an example a 3770k w/H100i at a 3.5GHz overclock hits 60C on the hottest core. That's 24C lower. Even if you say he was lucky and add 10C to his max temp there is still a 14C difference.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1654606/3770k-5ghz-corsair-h100i-temps.html
          • Nov 17, 2012
            Complexity, Jun 3, 2013 Last edited by ΣZΣ | ๖ۣۜComplex1ty, Jun 3, 2013
          • May 14, 2011
            Here is a quote from bit-techs MVI Extreme Review conclusion:

Source: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/06/02/asus-maximus-vi-extreme-review
          • Dec 6, 2011
            I'm still not seeing the big problem here. They're acting like they're supposed to be getting 5GHz right off the bat with simple cooling. 4.7GHz is a damn good OC with just a closed loop system. I thought Ivy Bridge had trouble overclocking anywhere near this, am I correct?
          • Aug 2, 2010
            Incorrect. I'm able to push my IB to 4.8ghz with my H100. I'm currently clocked at 4.6ghz because I like hitting a max of 60C when pushing the CPU.

BTW, I'll be holding off on the Haswell as my IB is fine. I'll probably be ditching my 6970s for some 8000s or 9000s and an IB-E or Haswell-E when it's released. It all depends on how drunk I am before I start looking at parts on Newegg.
          • Dec 6, 2011
            Lol. Yea, I haven't looked into IB really. For some reason all I hear is "it can't OC for shit", but as I would assume, it's usually user-error. Hopefully they do do Haswell-E, but I don't think I'll even need one. And as rumors spread, the Sea Islands GPUs are supposed to be amazing, I'm just hoping they're right. crossfire 8970's on my Overlord Tempest OC..... :drool: