Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Having issues with recording/playing demos

Discussion in Counter-Strike: Source started by Rayne, Jul 1, 2014

1. Nov 29, 2012
    So, been having this problem for a while and I'm not sure how to fix it, and it's been keeping me from recording demos that are really needed when it comes to admining, and I was wondering if anyone on here has a solution. If so, it would help a whole lot. For quite a while now I've been getting this error everytime I record/play a demo.

Failed to load sound "demo.wav", file probably missing from disk/repository
    Failed to load sound "slevin2.wav", file probably missing from disk/repository

It never fails, it always happens when I record or try to play back demos, and I've noticed I had these problems ever since I accidently uninstalled CS:S a while back. Along with these problems I've also been getting these error messages flooding my console, I only copied a few of them since it's way too much to add on to this thread.

d to precache unknown particle system "fuego_area"!
    Attemped to precache unknown particle system "fuego_area2"!
    Attemped to precache unknown particle system "fuego_area3"!
    Attemped to precache unknown particle system "fuego_area4"!
    Attemped to precache unknown particle system "explosion_mako2"!
    Error: Material "tools/wrongway" : proxy "PlayerTeam" not found!
    The server is using sv_pure 0. (Enforcing consistency for select files only)
    SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props/cake/cake.mdl)
    Requesting texture value from var "$basetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_furnace_01rt)
    Requesting texture value from var "$basetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_furnace_01bk)
    Requesting texture value from var "$basetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_furnace_01lf)
    Requesting texture value from var "$basetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_furnace_01ft)
    Requesting texture value from var "$basetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_furnace_01up)
    Requesting texture value from var "$basetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_furnace_01dn)
    Unable to initialize DirectSoundCapture. You won't be able to speak to other players.Loading 'cfg/autobuy_default.txt
    Failed to load sound "plaguefest\unreal\10.mp3", file probably missing from disk/repository
    Failed to load sound "plaguefest\unreal\9.mp3", file probably missing from disk/repository
    Failed to load sound "plaguefest\unreal\8.mp3", file probably missing from disk/repository
    Failed to load sound "plaguefest\unreal\7.mp3", file probably missing from disk/repository
    Failed to load sound "plaguefest\unreal\6.mp3", file probably missing from disk/repository
    Tired of getting kicked for high ping? Want a reserve slot and cool skins? Type !getadmin or visit plaguefest.com
    Failed to load sound "plaguefest\unreal\5.mp3", file probably missing from disk/repository
    Failed to load sound "plaguefest\unreal\4.mp3", file probably missing from disk/repository
    Failed to load sound "plaguefest\unreal\3.mp3", file probably missing from disk/repository
    Failed to load sound "plaguefest\unreal\2.mp3", file probably missing from disk/repository
    R'

I really want to get this fixed, and I'm wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions, I'm thinking about uninstalling CS:S and then reinstalling it again to see if it'll work, but I don't know if it will or not. And if I do, is there a way to completely uninstall all my CS:S files that may be causing this error? Or any other solution other than reinstalling?
  2. May 31, 2012
    Are they just errors or are there noticeable consequences corresponding to these errors? My demos have a ton of errors too, but they normally work fine with the exception of a few (of course, the most important ones).
  3. Dec 10, 2013
    Sorry I can't help you Rayne :frown:, even though, whenever I record .dem files in my CSS I do get errors like those all the time being spammed in console (I record ZE) but I can still play the demos just fine, perhaps you will need to redownload everything you had before you uninstalled your game?

If not I am sure reinstalling might not do it (consider you get this problem after an uninstall, so doing another may not work either lol)
  4. Nov 29, 2012
    I'm not entirely sure, i never notice anything wrong happening in game, but i can never ever get a demo recorded, reguardless it just corrupts, it never use to be this way either until i messed up and accidently uninstalled. I've tried to play back the demos multiple times when i record them and it just gives me that error constantly, and anytime i do managed to get a demo saved it's corrupted
    Post Merged, Jul 1, 2014
    I found a thread on gamebanana of someone having the same issues as me, but no solutions to it.

http://css.gamebanana.com/threads/105688?vl%5Bpage%5D=LAST&mid=1
    Post Merged, Jul 1, 2014
    Whenever the uninstall happened, i accidently uninstalled steam entirely, so everything was forcefully deleted, all my games including CSS. So I'm not sure if that might be the reason for the errors since it didn't really uninstall properly.
  5. Dec 10, 2013
    How does one accidentally go through the uninstall wizard and remove steam? :razz:

Anyway, coming to think about it, you mean trying to play demo files you had before uninstalling everything, or demo files you got after removing everything?

I used to have a problem with .dem files because I recorded them while playing at a resolution of 1024x600, then after that I manually set up the resolution to 1280x720 so everything was messed up, but I don't think that problem is any relevant to what you may be experiencing.
  6. May 31, 2012
    Are the demos entirely corrupt, as in they don't play from the moment you start? Or do you play the demos and they crash at random periods?

Also, do you use sm_users and sm_who at the beginning of each demo or round? I've noticed that this increases (noticeably) the chances of corrupt demos.

I've looked into online voodoo magic for demos because I recently had a very important demo corrupt on me. @Aprz was able to find a open source screen capture, which worked like voodoo magic and would play demos if you were using it; however, you wouldn't be able to see any of the players doing anything, besides them talking on the mic and chat. We tried it again, but it was not working... possibly because of Steam updates. This was the CamStudio. It's a screen capture, not a player, and we are literally speaking voodoo magic (no practical or reasonable reason for this to work, but it use to in the past).

There is an alternative demo player but I have not been able to get it to work and I don't know how to use it. It's called Complexity Demo Player. According to their website, it supports CSS. I've been researching this one too.

Also, Lord Kyle hates when we record demos for reasons I cannot say... pretend you do not record demos, lol.

edit:

@Rayne, may you record a short demo and send me the file in a zip? I want to see if it's just not playing or if the demo is actually corrupt.
  7. Nov 29, 2012
    From the start they don't play, and okay I just recorded a small one in the surf.
    Post Merged, Jul 1, 2014
    Sorry if thats the wrong file btw, im not too great at computer stuff at all.

Attached Files:

8. May 31, 2012
    Got to put it in a zip file, @Rayne. For some reason, I can't play .dem files downloaded directly off the forums.
  9. Nov 29, 2012

Attached Files:

10. May 31, 2012
    Good news. Demo isn't corrupt, so it's still use-able. I even captured it and saved it as an mp4 so that others may see too (attached).

Something is up with the playdemo feature for you then. Let me find the CSS files are responsible for that and we can just have you copy a known good file.

Attached Files:

11. Nov 29, 2012
  12. Feb 27, 2012
    Where do you have Counter Strike: Source installed to? Your C:\ drive? Also, try this. On your shortcut for steam, right click>Properties>Compatibility. Check Run as Administrator. Then go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Counter-Strike Source and do the same thing to hl2.exe. If you haven't yet, you could also try verifying your game cache.
    • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
    • Nov 29, 2012
      It worked! You're a genius Tony. My demos are slightly laggy, but other then that it's perfect. After I did all that I restarted the client and tried again and made anothre test demo then I could see it. :smile: I also noticed after running in administrator all the demos that I thought disappeared in the folder have showed back up.
      • Like Like x 1
        Rayne, Jul 1, 2014 Last edited by Rayne, Jul 1, 2014
      • May 31, 2012
        • Like Like x 1