Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Headbreaking mapping help wanted

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Purpzz, Jun 29, 2012

1. Dec 3, 2011
    Okay, we are breaking our heads on this for days already and cant seem to find how or what to do so i will ask this public now, please if you have knowledge in this, dont wait to help me out because i need a solution quickly, how faster how better!
    So this is my problem:

I need a timer based on 5 digits that can count up and down, and i need to be able to add any value that i want.

I will explain this a bit more informative so you mappers know what i mean..
    In my new version from exorath i want to show the humans inside the arena a timer/counter that shows the total current value from exorath (like example 16432), then when they shoot him and hit him the counter should substract 1 hp per hit, so example you shoot 100 times on him, the counter should count down to 16332 but also show it on the players so they know how many hp they still need to shoot away before he dies.

Now the thing is, the counter will always start with a default value from 2525, each player joining the arena will add values on that counter based on the difficultie they are, like:

- extreme mode = 225 per player
    - godmode = 255 per player
    - impossible mode = 275 per player

Short counting -> example 23 players got inside the arena on extreme mode then the system will need to count 23 * 225 which comes on 5175 plus the default value from 2525 which is a total value from 7700.
    So that 7700 must be showen on the timer/counter so the players know: we need to shoot 7700 hp away before exorath dies.

Does anybody have any idea how to create this? Redeye already helped me creating a simular system but so far he/we got its still not what i am looking for since that system doesnt allow me to add values higher then 1 per digit, i really need to be able adding values like i mention above (extreme, god, impossible) else its useless.

Hopely somebody knows how to create this because after spending more then 12 hours on this thing we still arent able to make this thing working correctly.
    Please!! I really need this, i would more then appriciate it if you could help me out with this, i will credit you for this and be thankfull so long i live xxxx

Here is a screenshot what i mean with timer/counter:
  2. May 14, 2011
    You would need a counter system which would work like the decimal system. I guess you can make that yourself or if you need help with that I can help with a prefab. (Yes it will be complex to make)

Also this would be operable from a math counter. The whole health system would rely on a few, each counter is linked to a number in the big number so 213213213 <-- each number would have 1 counter. you would make the initial value 2 - 5 - 2 - 5. Also you would have to add the value into the higher digits.

^thats the counter part. Calculating the number of players inside the arena would take 1 math counter per person. So you may want to comprimise by doing it every 2 people to save on entities. With that you can add health to "exorath" in steps. and Set health on him.

During the fight you would simply subtract 1 for every hit.

This may not have been very clear sorry.

EDIT: Each digit would have to be a func_wall_toggle so that's 10*5 entities on just the time + the counter per person so thats about 60.

This would cost you about 100 entities.

Unless someone cleverer than me knows how to use logic_compare to cut down on the counters, i've never tried that.

EDIT: Correction this timer would be EXTREMLY costly. Unless its a main feature then imo drop it.
    Ghost, Jun 29, 2012 Last edited by Ghost, Jun 29, 2012
  3. Dec 3, 2011
    Yes i am aware of the entitie costs, the timer that redeye tried to make was based on more then 150 entities, but as most mappers should know, every logic_ isnt count in the entitie limit, it is count when u do report_entities but server side it isnt count since it doesnt need to render or doesnt have a locked place in the world.
    So i can live with the fact many entities are been used for this, i still have room for more then 250 entities so i dont mind how much they take. Even if they take more then that.

I dont seem to get your thing what you try to make but so far Redeye tried, i only saw him using func_brushes for the numbers, logic_relays, logic_case, math_counters, a trigger_multiply and the physbox to count down for the output onhealthchange - ... - substract 1.

If you could help me out with this by making me a prefab, then i would really appriciate this since i have zero clue how to make this complex thing.
    If it works, here is a file with a simular system but seems to bug soon i try to add my own values, its kinda good build only the value adding is done wrong and i dont know how to fix it or remake it.

(please keep in mind this is a working one so far you use the command - add 1 -, also this is one based on 4 digits but with the values i want to add i need atleast a 5 digit timer/counter and i dunno how to remake him, nor rebuild him to add my own values i want)

Attached Files:

4. Mar 19, 2012
    If you are just trying to display health of the boss I am working on a super simple system for that
  5. Dec 3, 2011
    Not only displaying but also counting up/down, the counting up should be go for when they teleport to the arena and the count down for when they hit my boss so they see his current hp counting down via that timer.
  6. Dec 2, 2011
    why not just give a certain time for all to be in the arena then anyone who is not is fucked. That solves the count up problem..... Imo
  7. Dec 3, 2011
    That will also be, there will be a sort of timer giving humans a x amount of time to kill the boss, but this counter is to show the value of his HP, - since players also asked this, and i like that idea -, this has also nothing to do with the time limit they have
  8. Dec 2, 2011
    Let me clear our misunderstanding.
    What if any player that didn't make it to the ring before xxx time is locked out. So you dont have to worry about players adding heath to the boss. Is that better or am I just digging deeper.?
  9. Mar 19, 2012
    you have no idea what ur talking about huh

Also michelle this would be so much easier to do with like a healthbar or something. I think it would take like 10 entities only
  10. Dec 3, 2011
    There are massive teleports, soon the boss fight starts all humans not inside the arena or camping in the map some where will get teleported after xx amount of seconds starting from when the boss fight starts, they get teleported to the zombie cage so become zombie or die.

I have though on something like that, but a counter is cooler :razz:
  11. Mar 19, 2012
    Ok so easy way would be to have like 5 or so entities counting damage. (maybe physbox?) and have them all disabled at start and parented to the boss. Give them each 1/5th health of the boss and enable 1 at a time. after break enable next one. each time it breaks the healthbar can lower 1 interval. also u can give outputs with onbreak.
  12. Dec 2, 2011
    To be honest no. I just thought, That the heath was +++++ to when more players entered the arena. And i thought if you made doors once a majority of players were ready to fight. Then you would not Need the counter to add only to subtract the heath. But since i was wrong NEVER MIND.
  13. Dec 3, 2011
    This can be done then also with math_counters instead of physboxxes, i already thought on such system but i really would like to have a timer/counter for this, since also people suggested a vieuwable counting down system and i already saw the 4 digit one working out, it was so cool to see it that i really want it, but bad luck the 5 digit counter seem to bug :/ so if anyone can make such a counting system i would be so happy
  14. May 14, 2011
    I could go crazy with math_counters and make a small prefab i guess.
    If they don't count towards the entity limit.
  15. Dec 3, 2011
    Could u do that for mee please? :grin: i would be so happy if i can get this thing fully working on 5 digits.
    I also go try something out now, its weekend, i am like an houre awake, fresh, took a shower, hopely i can make myself one but i dont think i have so many knowledge to build it, but i go try it, if you could make me one, feel free to do, i will sure credit you for the work

Edit: Envi told me it would lagg to bad, unlucky for me but nvm then, i will try to find an alternative way to show his HP. Dont need any more a counter if it will lagg, i dont need it :razz: But thanks all anyway to take a look at this. I appriciate the help.
    Purpzz, Jun 30, 2012 Last edited by Purpzz, Jun 30, 2012
  16. May 14, 2011
    That counter looked well made. Next digit would be simple to add. However, envi is proboably right, if the health was going down at lets say 50 numbers per second then thats about 100 imputs a second going through the counters. That would just lag.
  17. Dec 3, 2011
    Yes, didnt though on that one untill he said it, im trying to build something else less laggy that hopely does it and if not works, then i just let it how it is without timer or anything else.
  18. May 14, 2011
    Haha I think I just had a winning idea, how abotu a health bar above his head.

Like the ones you get in RS. (Only example i could think of atm).

You could make this "easily" and I think the players would love it.

EDIT: lol just noticed jookbobs post. :razz:
    Ghost, Jun 30, 2012 Last edited by Ghost, Jun 30, 2012
  19. Dec 3, 2011

I am sorta trying something out like that but atm i have no clue where to start xD the only way i can think of is setting a default HP value because i am stuck on adding more 'bars' when players give him also hp based on the difficultie they are

I can make a system lets say -

Extreme mode: 15.000 hp based on hp bars on his head
    Godmode: 20.000 hp based on hp bars on his head
    Impossible mode: 25.000 hp based on hp bars on his head

But what about when only 5 players got inside the arena.. then 15.000/20.000/25.000 is to much, so i need basicly a system giving exorath hp based on the players which comes out on this:
    But then again i have no clue making all this, i can map pretty good but i am not a pro in such stuff.
    So basicly i need to make a sort of bar with a default value from 2525 hp (this is the same value in all modes), and then be able to add more hp per player joining the arena, that total amount should make the bars to show his hp, any idea?
  20. May 14, 2011
    Oh you can easily add hp based on players. I think you were doing something of the sort in that test map you uploaded.

EDIT: Meh just make the bar longer when more players join.

EDIT: Make the bar a long series func_wall_toggle and every 250 hits take a section of it out. This way you could make it go red when it reaches low hp as well.

EDIT: You could also add sections based on how many payers there are.