Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Headphones / Amps / DACs

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by sajak, Jun 28, 2013

1. Nov 11, 2011
    Was recently looking for some good monitor headphones and decided to pickup a pair of MDR-V6's (the MDR-7506 seem to be the MDR-V6 minus the XT interference, not worth the additional $). I like their style and portability, the audiophile quality, not as much bass as I hoped for in a 40mm driver but still decent, and of course, the 10 foot coiled cord.

Anyone have any cans they think are worth picking up that are less than ~$500? Also, I've heard good things about the Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Velour ear pads. Anyone have experience with them? Thanks!

@rxn

EDIT (pic):
    [IMG]
  2. Jun 23, 2010
  3. Nov 11, 2011
    Mainly for listening to flat-midtone music and some light production work with some boards. I do listen to heavy metal, dubstep, etc, but I have a separate pair of headphones for that.
  4. Apr 24, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
    • Mar 12, 2008

Turtle beach.

your back again.
    • Nov 11, 2011
    • Mar 30, 2012
      • Nov 11, 2011
        It's not overrated, it's just more preferred by most average console gamers. I'm quite active on Head-fi and other forums, I want people who mix and are audiophiles, to chime in how they like their headphones. And ofcourse, give me a recommendation of whether or not to get them.

I don't want a headset, I want headphones. So no mic, no wireless.
        • Winner Winner x 1
        • Mar 30, 2012
          Finally someone who isn't full retard. There is still hope for pF Forums.
          Impressed.

I'm running Xonar Essence ST with S-AMP.
          Link to headphones; http://www.german-maestro.de/EN/gmp450pro.htm
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Feb 1, 2011

EDIT: On the real though - I don't like headsets either. I have had a pair of AKG K702's for several years now and I think they sound amazing, are comfortable, and very durable. Look them up if you want
            • Winner Winner x 1
            • Nov 11, 2011
              I actually had the STX, but I will definitely check out the GMP since I'm not too familiar with this brand. I'm more in the AKG, Sony MDRs, Audio-Technica, Shures, and Sennh's. Thanks!

I looked at those when I was browsing and my main concern was the detachable cable and build quality (yes, I know they are AKG's). Is it something that can give trouble down the line, you know, the old wiggle static problem? The only issue I've ever had with static was to simply rub rubbing alcohol on the connector. Let me know. Thank you!
            • Jun 23, 2010
              No I've never had a problem with static / connectivity - however I have had to replace my cable several times because I crushed it with a chair or foot and fucked it all up, but theyre pretty cheap to replace - like 15 bux. The build quality is good IMO, though there are some plastic parts that have broken over the years (strictly cosmetic). The speakers themselves are top notch and even after abusing them / turning them up too loud, they never get that "blown speaker" sound.
            • Nov 11, 2011
              Ah, glad to hear a candid review. I appreciate the input. And I feel your pain about the rolling over the chair or kicking it out of the connector problem, it's one of the reasons I looked at the coiled wire (like those old telephone cables), makes it much easier to manage the audio cable. I will definitely give the K702 a spin, thanks man. :thumbsup:
            • Nov 11, 2011
              Well, after speaking with @rxn for a while and researching, I've narrowed it down to ATH-M50 and Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro (250ohm):

[IMG]
              The DT-990-Pro seems to be extremely comfortable with an overall flatter response and the ATH-M50 is in a similar range. I'm planning on pulling the trigger on the Beyerdynamic because they look super comfortable all around.

As far as the sound card, can anyone recommend me any good ones? I already am aware of the Xonar Essense STX. And does anyone know what the major difference between the ST and STX are (besides requiring an extra power connector)?

EDIT: This card is geared towards gaming but it's SNR seems to be great: Creative Sound Blaster Z SBX PCIE Gaming Sound Card with Beamforming Microphone SB1500
              sajak, Jun 30, 2013 Last edited by sajak, Jun 30, 2013
            • Aug 2, 2010
              STX = PCI-E, ST = PCI. I'd rather go PCI-E but that's just me. Supposedly the ST's do sound a bit cleaner though.

Also, I'd rather go with the M50. I'm not a huge fan of open ear cans. I like to be able to take my cans and bother people around me. I was limited to using my previous Sennheiser HD650s at home because of that reason.
            • Nov 11, 2011
              I was under the impression the open ear cans give a wider sound field and more natural sound? But that could just be me talking out of my ass.
              Post Merged, Jun 30, 2013
              No. Fucking. Head. Sets. Only. Head. Phones. Fucking. Churma. lol
            • Mar 20, 2011
              I can afford it, I just think it's overkill. It's frequency response is ridiculous, my ears won't even be able to tell the difference compared to less expensive models and the impedance on them is average. These cans are $500 quality + $1000 brand markup. No thanks :razz:

As far as the HD650's... Don't slap me for this... but I don't like their design. *runs away in fear* They just... ugh. It's like a girl you like to talk to but don't think about fucking? But yeah, I think I will stick with the MDR-V6 for classical music and pull the trigger on the Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro. I still need a good recommendation for a sound card, I'm between the Xonar ST, Xonar STX, and Creative Sound Blaster Z SBX.