Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Help buying a laptop...

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Nezumi, Jul 17, 2014

1. Jun 10, 2011
    Hey guys, I recently got into University, and have decided it wouldn't be wise to take my desktop with me for two reasons;
    1. It's 4yrs old and needs replacing anyway
    2. My second year is in Korea, and no way am I lugging a desktop there!

So, instead I need to get a laptop. One that is easily transportable to and from Campus for uni needs, as well as capable of gaming (What? You didn't think I was leaving you did you?!).

As it stands currently, my most played games are things like LoL, GW2, Borderlands and (obviously) CSS. I realise whatever I buy will more than likely be unable to run new releases, but as long as it's capable of running these games well then I shall be happy.

I currently have £4000+ in savings, however I would like to be able to take some of this with me for emergency funds, so i'd preferably be looking to spend a maximum of £2000, though I honestly have no idea of the value of decent gaming laptops.

Any help or advice you guys could give me, I would be extremely grateful! <3
  2. Nov 29, 2012
    OH, I might have wanted to mention; I loathe Windows 8, so if I buy a laptop, is there a way to uninstall it and put Windows 7 on instead?
  4. Nov 29, 2012
    If you order a laptop online you can request that the operating system be windows 7 instead of windows 8. I had a friend who recently ordered an Alienware laptop and got windows7 on it instead. But yes there is a way to uninstall windows 8 and install windows 7.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Jun 11, 2012
      Yes you can install Windows 7 but you'll either need a legit bought copy orrrrr visit the seven seas with black beard (of course black beard comes with fleas so yeahhh). Unfortunately all new buys (unless custom) comes with Windows 8.1.

If I take your £2000 and convert to yankee dollar that's almost 3500K$, that's more than a massive desktop rig so you will take more with you (of course depending if England does inflation which I think they regulate to 50% of what America is). So I went to the English Bloody Amazon.co.uk and found a crazy one for £1.690K.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/G750JZ-T405...1_9?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1405648626&sr=1-9

5Kg though and 17'' screen which is average-ish for a good gaming laptop since that screen space gives you a better view instead of the 15.6''. So how heavy is too heavy?
    • Jun 10, 2011
      Please bear in mind i'm around 5' with little to no upper body strength. I made of chub and love.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Jan 21, 2011
        I'd look for something with an intel i5/i7 processor and nvidia gfx. Asus, Samsung, Lenovo, Dell, and Toshiba are all good brands. I have an i5 in my laptop with intel gfx and it runs css and LoL just fine. If you don't need a CD drive, an ultrabook would be even lighter. They've usually got 13.3 inch screens though.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Dec 10, 2013
          I believe there are decent-priced gaming laptops out there that could probably handle those games on medium performance at its best, don't forget to buy a fan :razz:, its mandatory for gaming laptops. (here we have those fan-thingies that you plug in to your laptop like an USB and works alright)

Have fun in Norea, Kezumi!
        • Jun 11, 2012
          Since you mention you like Boderlands, my favorite character from the lovely Ashley Burch

Tried in the less than 2.5Kg region with a sacrifice in screen space since 17'' does add up to the weight but 15.6'' with a second monitor can make for a nice desktop replacement (of course the monitor won't be portable but heh you catch more flies with bees).

Gigabyte P34W http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-P3...UTF8&qid=1405650616&sr=1-14&keywords=gigabyte
          Gigabyte P35W http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-P3...F8&refRID=0MZTA7Q091K859HZJ1QG#productDetails
          MSI GS60 2PE-060UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-GS60-2P...mputers_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RSXN7FTE5V8RFM51PJZ
          MSI GS60 2PC-005UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-GS60-2PC-005UK-15-6-inch-DisplayPort/dp/B00J2PLTO0/ref=pd_cp_computers_0

My money would go to the Gigabyte P35W or the MSI GS60 2PC-005UK. All are i7 4700 processor with the latest mobile GPU (the 2 I prefer are both on the higher end of the GPU) and 8GB of rams (which can be upgraded but still enough for now). Also all come with a 128SSD and a 1TB HDD so you can play around with it which should be enough for OS and some games on the SSD and everything else on the 1TB (documents, photos, innapropriate nudes of @Secprotocol) for things you don't want to lose in a format. Don't expect battery to last for a long time since of course you got a honking desktop in a mini-me size.

Of course I just did Amazon.co.uk because I have no clue if the English even have a store there. You are free to peruse around of course.
        • Oct 29, 2010

17" is too big to be portable, and too large to fit in most packs for everyday travel (speaking from firsthand experience), 15.6" should be your max screen size.

i5/i7 with nvida gfx (aforementioned by seeker)

At least 8 GB of RAM

SSD hard drive, some laptops have a bay for a second hard drive.

Invest in a Zalman cooling pad (quality stuff, <$50 USD)

Is battery life a concern? If you have leftover funds, consider the option of using said funds to buy a second laptop--a cheap, small netbook or something, used or new, for light duty errands like notes/etc.

Also, it'd be nice to save some of that money for your time in Korea. Laptops lasts a few years, happy travel memories are forever.
          meeko, Jul 17, 2014 Last edited by meeko, Jul 17, 2014
        • Dec 30, 2006
          Man, i'm so conflicted on all this stuff, I really don't have a clue.

Only addition I can really make is that I don't think I would ever need a bluray disk drive... and a webcam is a plus but not a necessity.

p.s. Nez likes pretty colours :quack:
        • Jun 10, 2011
          Ok, here's a good question; When buying a laptop, how important is having an SSD?
        • Nov 29, 2010
          SSD is a luxury, fast load times but not needed. Asus G750 Series laptops are great, if you're on a budget look at lenovo's Y series, Ebay still sells the y410p which is a great price/performance laptop.
        • Jun 11, 2012
          Debatable really. SSD is kinda becoming the norm in terms of fast read and write on the PC. But unless you play a heavy game that requires a lot of loading you won't get the benefits (read playing CSS and getting on the server first before anybody else since it's able to load a lot faster).
        • Jan 21, 2011
          Depends on what you're after. If you want to be at the desktop within a couple seconds of booting up, you want an SSD. If you don't care, you don't need one.
        • Oct 29, 2010
          SSD = vital to getting first nomination on ZE
          • Useful Useful x 2
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Zing! Zing! x 1
          • Jun 10, 2011
            Nezumi, Jul 17, 2014 Last edited by Nezumi, Jul 17, 2014
          • Aug 2, 2010
            ^ Go w/ that one. Whoever tells you to buy an Alienware, I'm burying this ass for telling my wife to buy rubbish.
            • Agree Agree x 3
            • Friendly Friendly x 1