Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Help in creating items

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Kloud, May 17, 2013

1. Apr 3, 2013

I started mapping this week, and i wanna have this radio item in it, which plays random songs, similliar to the one in Mount Doom or Paranoid. However, i have no idea how to make items or import songs, so i could use some help.

So if anyone of you could teach me or hit me up with a link, that would be appreciated.
    Kloud, May 17, 2013 Last edited by Kloud, May 18, 2013
  2. Feb 24, 2011
    - You need either a .wav file or a .mp3 for your songs/sounds (i always go with 44100Hz .mp3's)
    - Add a prop_dynamic_override for the normal radio model (i'm assuming it's a physics only prop on the top of my head, otherwise just go with prop_dynamic)
    - Parent that prop to a constrained pistol/weapon/whatever
    - Add all the songs/sounds in ambient_generic entities, set the sound source to the prop, set the radius to like... 500-2000 IMO

- Add a logic_case, do the following outputs:
    * oncase01 --> song1 --> playsound
    * oncase02 --> song2 --> playsound
    * oncase03 --> song3 --> playsound
    * etc...

- just send an input to the logic_case called "pickrandom", this will pick one of the used output cases all randomly.
    - you can set the way of triggering however you want it (either by pickup, button or constantly picking random songs all the time)
    make sure you watch out for overlapping the songs, you can easily overcome this by setting the volume to 0 on all other sounds while playsound + volume 10 on the active sound (stopsound is unstable, especially for .mp3's afaik)

EDIT*

if you want to add a button parented to the pistol/weapon. make sure it's textured with the "blocklight" tool texture. This will make sure that there'll be no collisions for the button whatsoever. (otherwise you'll just end up with blocking other players when you stand near them, bad times)
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Don't forget the thing where only he can get the radio first!! :ROFL: :heart:
    • Apr 3, 2013
      Does this make the songs end whenever the round is won or lost?
    • Feb 24, 2011
      All sounds will reset as the next round initializes, no worries.
    • Oct 4, 2012
      I thought you want to make it like in Paranoid, not just simple button that plays random song. That's case, counter, ui, hudhints, sounds and all that stuff, it seems hard to me if you map 3 days. You asked me how to make a wall yesterday -.-
      • Funny Funny x 3
      • Jan 11, 2011
        Walls are hard. Usually of concrete, stone or similar materials.
        BTW, don't use .WAV, they are huge in size. Also, don't worry if you don't hear the .MP3 in Hammer, you can't heat them in the editor but they will sound fine in-game.
        You will also need Pakrat, PackBSP or some other third party program to include your custom sounds in the map file (.BSP). Unless you are using the original HL2 musics.
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Apr 3, 2013
          Where do i put these ambient_generic entities? Wanted to make sure so i don't mess up.
        • Feb 24, 2011
          Doesn't really matter, as the sound source will come from the prop no matter where you place them.
          Just don't put them outside the map or you'll have a leak at your hands.
          Leaking is bad, mmmmkay?
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Nov 11, 2011
            I never got mp3's to work with ambient_generics, only with env_soundscapes. How do you get mp3's to work with an ambient_generic? And wav sizes are not that huge if you use a good encoding and only sacrifice some quality loss.
          • Apr 3, 2013
            With the steampipe update thing, where do you put the custom sound files you want to be in SDK at?
          • Oct 4, 2012
            /steamname/css/cstrike/sound - For Hammer
            /common/css/cstrike/sound - For Game
          • Apr 3, 2013
            had to set it to cstrike/download/sound for it to work, but oh well
          • May 25, 2012
            The directory should be something like... /common/Counter-Strike Source/cstrike/custom/(random name)/sound/(your file).mp3, and all custom textures and etc would be under /custom/*.

If you want to use the 'old' way along with fixing some good stuff like building cubemaps, try this. Place gameinfo.txt in /cstrike/ and everything will go back to the 'normal' way things were. Maps would be in /maps/, sounds in /sound/, Textures in /materials/ aaaand you get the idea. /custom/ and /download/ would no longer be used. You can edit it easily to your liking though.
          • Apr 3, 2013

But you can still operate it again to play a sound while it still is playing a sound. Anyway to put something like a cooldown on it or make the current sound stop if a new sound starts?
            Kloud, May 18, 2013 Last edited by Kloud, May 18, 2013