Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

help me choose!

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by westie808, Sep 14, 2013

1. Oct 6, 2012
    ok so here it is and please dont laugh at me if this is kinda noobish cause i am at least trying to learn, so i have a stock hp pavillion specs are down below. i installed a new corsair power supply 500c and the geforce Nvidia 8400 GS, i am trying to get a new intel but i just dont know anything about them, yes i know that i will need thermal paste if i get a new one and i got it covered but i just need some advice with choosing a good intel. thanx in advance and if im missing some more specs let me know.

Hp pavillion Microsoft Windows Vista Home premium
    ViiV intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHZ, 2200 Mhz, 2 sore(s), 2 log
    Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS
    Two "1 gig" RAM (yes i do need more Ram, i just orderes two more sticks of 1 gig online)
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 1.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 1.00 GB
    Available Physical memory 217 MB
    Total Virtual memory 2.84 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 780 MB
    Page File Space 1.88 GB
    westie808, Sep 14, 2013 Last edited by westie808, Sep 14, 2013
  2. Nov 17, 2012

Don't even bother upgrading your laptop parts, it's not like you'll get much better performance out of it unless you upgrade the MOBO + CPU. But then you might have issues that the case can't fit it etc.
  3. Apr 9, 2012
    You cannot summon Brett unless you have 99 summoning in Runescape 3, brought to you by Jagex, master in updates and killing their own game:thumbsup:
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Zing! Zing! x 1
    • Feb 27, 2012
      I totally forgot @westie808, what's your budget, how much is the most you are willing to spend? Because if your budget is really high, you could get a bitching fast computer.
    • Jun 23, 2010
      This. Budget and what will you be using it for.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Err... don't mean to burst your bubble @westie808 but there's not much you can do with that computer. It's quite outdated, and you wouldn't be able to update the processor on it (what you call Intel, which is a company that makes processors), because the motherboard is different as well. You'd have to completely update the motherboard as well as the processor on it. In all honesty, you'd have to start over with a whole new build, with the exception of the Corsair PSU, which I assume is a newer model. The 8400GS isn't much, and it's not going to help at all.

If you could give us an idea of your budget and what you want to accomplish with your computer, we could give you some build ideas that fit that budget.

Also, do you think you could link me the Corsair PSU you bought?
    • Jun 19, 2013
      Should just build a completely new desktop from scratch.
    • Oct 6, 2012
      well I guess im gonna have to buy a new or make a new one from scratch, about my budget well it is really hard to tell u right now since i just bought a new $800 Bass amplifier, u just recomend me one and ill see if i get one. and heres where i got the power supply as well http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E16817139027&gclid=CLGYi-afzbkCFWFBQgod2HEAtA
    • Feb 21, 2007
      What are you looking for? Top of the line? Mid level? Emphasis on graphics? Fast start up times??

And Brett, I think that PSU will be a limiting factor in his new build, given its only 500w.
    • Feb 27, 2012
      Maybe if he's running dual graphics cards or an inefficient model of some form of hardware, then maybe it won't be able to cut it. I'm still running with a 500W, and i'm about to put a 280 in my computer, and i'll still have plenty of wattage left (if you don't know, the 280 uses 200+W all to itself) I did all the calculations, and with all the stuff i have in my computer, it'll only be on a 365-ish Watt load.
    • Feb 21, 2007
      Using a PSU calculator, top of the line CPU and GPU, 1 hard drive, 4 sticks of DDR3 memory, 1 cd rom drive, and 2 misc USB devices, it nets a total power requirement of 420. And, I used to frequent a computer tech forum, and the general rule around there with PSU calculators was, add another 100-200w in addition to what the calculator predicts (as its not good to run your PSU at 90% load on a regular basis). Following this, he would need a 600w PSU for good measure. Again, this is with top of the line intel CPU and nvidia GPU. So, this leads back to my original question; what is he looking for? Top of the line, mid range, or entrance level?
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Dec 6, 2011
        @TON TON @retsbutt The good thing on this is that the Corsair PSU isn't some random off-brand power supply, and it's running 38A on the +12V rail (as opposed to about <30A on some other 500W PSUs) so it should support a decent graphics card just fine, such as a 2GB 7850 or 7870.

@westie808 we need you to answer to question that determines basically everything here: What do you need this computer to accomplish and what is your budget. We can help you from there.
        • Like Like x 1
        • Oct 6, 2012
          well o Honestly dont know what i want, i mean i want a fast computer with a good gra[hics and able to run any game with no fps lag. but i would definitely would go with a mid range computer desktop. i know that i have a cheap ass desktop but i mean it has gone through many battles and it is still working like a boss... well sort of hahaha
          Post Merged, Sep 16, 2013
          and let me ask u guys what kind of pc or desk tops u guys have?
        • Aug 20, 2012
          "A new intel process with good graphics and able to run any games with no fps lag"?
          That would be i7 4770k + GTX 770 SLI. You would save money if you go down with i5 2500k(or i7 2600k if you like to use multi threading apps) + GTX 680 SLI.
          Btw, new AMD GPUs are coming out pretty soon. You might want to wait for those to come out for possible price drop on Nvidia side.

This is my 3 months old desktop that i assembled. Mostly Corsair stuff. Games like Metro Last Light and Crysis 3 crushed my GTX 780 so easily. I have no interest to SLI to have 60+ fps on those two games.
          [IMG]

If you live by San Francisco Bay Area, i can build one for you for FREE as long you provide me with the items. I like building custom PCs and have a fair amount of free time so it's a good trade off between you and me.
          Also i never built water cooling PC since im not financially capable to purchase all the required equipments so if you want one, you can ask someone else.
        • Dec 6, 2011
          Well, you seem like you want to be able to run some top notch settings. What I recommend is getting a completely future-proof build, meaning that you won't have to upgrade the entire build for 4-5+ years.

What it would look like based on pricing, and not the exact parts would be around this:
          rs10

The 4670k is the best price/performance CPU for gaming out there. The Corsair H100i is a closed loop watercooling solution for your CPU, that will lengthen it's life. The extra $100 is worth it.

The 7950 is the greatest choice based on price vs performance. Since you can find a 7950 at about $200, that's going to be $50+ less than it's closest competitor (GTX 760), that it still out-performs, or the GTX 670, that it ties with @ $100 less.

GTX 760 vs. 7950 proof: http://anandtech.com/bench/product/856?vs=854 GTX 670 vs. 7950 proof: http://anandtech.com/bench/product/856?vs=830

The roomy Corsair Carbide 500R will allow for great cooling and perfect fitting of the H100i radiator on the top between the case and top dust filter panel.

After a year or two you can just grab a 2nd 7950 for $100-$150 after pricing drops, and another 8GB of RAM for $25-$50, and you'd be all set for a good 4-5 years running a great rig that can hit every game at max settings easily as of right now with a single 7950.
        • Oct 6, 2012
          holy shit man!!! thats awesome that u can build computers like this, i am gonna start saving again and start the build. well someone has to build it and i live i hawaii soo yeah sucks that u live far away man :frown:
        • Aug 20, 2012
          It's not hard building a PC once you experience it for first time. I assembled my first PC when i was 15 using only just the manual. That time I messed up when i accidentally bent several processor pins on the motherboard which rendered it useless and RMA doesn't cover that without additional cost for repair. Brett has an excellent thread on how to build a PC at his signature: http://plaguefest.com/threads/building-or-just-want-to-know-about-a-pc-click-here.10090/
          Also if you're into IT, you can get or study A+ to help you understand PC better.

You can also buy a pre-build PC like from http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/.
        • Aug 2, 2010
          I believe Brett is willing to do a Skype session with you to walk you step-by-step through your build process. I would too but I require all clients dress in only their birthday suits while I help them.
          • Funny Funny x 2
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Dec 6, 2011
            OH GOD PRE-BUILD SCAMSITES. IT BURNS AHHHHHHHH

I too am similar to rxn, except mine isn't a requirement, it's just a recommendation.