Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Help me find a laptop

Discussion in Help Desk started by The Real Gingerbread Man, Mar 10, 2010

1. Dec 7, 2009
    i want to get a new laptop. not sure what to get and i get lost easily with all the numbers that are associated with them. i have been looking at the alienware m15x and i like it but when i build it i have no clue what i need. money is not really an issue. ofcourse i dont wanna spend 4 grand but i want something i can play games at and never worry about if it will play the game. also blueray is manditory. i only want a 15" monitor. i used to have a 17" and the damn thing was to big. anyways thanks in advance
  2. Dec 30, 2006
    I'm trying to sell mine, but it doesn't fit your criteria.
  3. Mar 3, 2010
    Alienware kicks ass for one. 2 other brands to check out are Cyber Power and Sager. Cyber Power allows you to build a pc to your exact specifications. But the Alienware would fucking blow them both away, and I agree I dont like a bigass 17 on a laptop.

This is what you need:
    4gb ram (i don't think anyone goes above 4)
    Quad Core Processor (If you could get an Intel i7, that would kick total ass for any game)
    Nvidia or ATi Graphics: for ATi try to head for a 5000 series, for Nvidia go for 220 and up series.

This is what you need to play almost any game on pc, in fact I think Nvidia 250 graphics run Crysis on Xtreme, so imagine what it would do to play CSS?
    Merge 1:
    (Hope this helps)
    Merge 2:

Sorry im taking so many posts.

Heres a link to a pc that you can use for a long time without worrying about it going out of date.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Xplorer_X5_8800_Notebook/

Tell me what you think.
  4. Apr 9, 2007
    250 is about the same as a 9800GT (From what our resident Nvidia enthusiast told me).

Should suffice, however you should really save your money and get a Desktop instead.
  5. Mar 12, 2008

im looking for a $500-$800 range for a desktop

edit: Secondary post your specs and you might have a potential buyer.

also note that semen stains lower it's value >:frown:
  6. Sep 21, 2008

Also, what I did was buy a nice desktop, and a shitty laptop. = 1.5grand

not like I am going to play mass effect 2 in school when there are womenz for me to creep on. then again that is just me.
  7. Dec 7, 2009
    well i want a laptop because i also use it to tune my car. i also like to go sit on the couch and use it. i doubt i will ever to go a desktop again. thanks for the help. any more advise would be greatly appreciated.
  8. Jan 13, 2010
    Hey Ginger, that m15x you were looking at? I built it for you.

SYSTEM COLOR Alienware M15x, Cosmic Black
    PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
    WARRANTY AND SERVICE 3 Year Basic Service Plan
    VIDEO CARD 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260M
    LCD PANEL 15.6-inch WideFHD 1920x1080 (1080p) WLED
    MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
    HARD DRIVE 128GB Solid State Drive
    INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Burner (BR-R, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
    BATTERY OPTIONS Primary - 9-cell (85Watt) Lithium-Ion Battery
    WIRELESS CARDS Wireless 1520 802.11n Half Mini-Card

Sry for the list of numbers you don't really understand. Any questions talk to me in steam. Price is about $2,793 without any personalization or software addons, just straight hardware.
  9. Jun 30, 2009

yes i went there
  10. Dec 30, 2006
    I have for sale a Gateway FX P-7805u with a 9800gts 1gb.
    4gb of DDR3 ram.
    320gb hard drive 7200rpm. There's another hard drive slot if you want to add another drive.
    17in screen.

Google will help more than me typing it out.

Hit me up via PM if you're interested.
  11. Nov 18, 2008
    I guess no one here realizes that alienware is 100% overpriced unreliable crap all they are is dell in a shiny case and whoever it is that said cyberpower they are damn good computers thats what my $600 gaming desktop is and its great however from personal experience ive found toshibas are hands down the best there is as far as laptops go. Heres a nice gaming rig that is somewhat reasonably priced. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834114797

also do you know a good site for that?
  12. Feb 21, 2007
    u dont need !core7 or whatever BS that is. just get a core duo...they use 1/2 the power that the 8 cores of i7 use, and is more than enough for any steam game. The main thing for CSS is the gfx card. So if anything, get one of the best gfx cards u can get, and that will be most likely to make ur computer future proof.
  13. Nov 18, 2008
    most gaming rigs and desktops are converting to i cores no point in fighting it before bill gates pulls a dick move and you need it for windows or something (and it will happen he is a dick) and 1500 for a gaming laptop that i know for a fact is actually really good is a very fair price. And It'll do everything he needs it for and its got bluray
  14. Oct 22, 2007
    I'll just say this, i looked at gaming books before i built my desk top. Biggest waste of time i ever spent, because you get a drastically less powerful tool for more money. Yes it might be portable but, it will be outdated in no time at all. Future proof? Hell lappy's aren't even year proof...
  15. Nov 18, 2008
    Anything you can buy desktop or laptop wise i outdated already
  16. Jan 13, 2010
    Of course, but with desktops outdated tech is an easy replace. Unless you really know what you're doing, good luck replacing components on a laptop.