Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

help with learning Source-sdk and props/everything else

Discussion in Resources & Tutorials started by CCHR, Aug 31, 2013

1. Aug 19, 2013
    i was wondering if someone would be up to helping me make a decent map. i know how to do some stuff in sdk, but making likeing the secrets and such im not sure how to do and all the information i find is old or outdated.

question 2: how do i get different textures for vending machines and such?

question 3: how do i get more props and does sdk come with the book shelves and couches and all that or do i need to get them?

i have more questions but cant remember them right now. but rest assured i will think of them when im laying in bed trying to sleep. :smile:

also want to thank you all for the help ahead of time so i dont forget that too.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Post Merged, Aug 31, 2013
      aCTUALLYT It's like 4am but I'll help you tomorrow. :grin: #tootired
    • Apr 3, 2013
      The answer you're looking for is custom props. I think there are some in Gamebanana, or you can google around for some. You can also ask @JorisCeoen to make a prop for you. And SDK does come with book shelves and couches from Half-Life 2 and CSS. I'm not entirely sure about the vending machine overlays, though.
    • Nov 11, 2011

CCHR I got u bro. Later today. Tutorial to build your first map. #noworries
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Aug 19, 2013
        ok cool. right now i have like 5 different map ideas started but i dont know how to do any of the things i want. lol so im stuck. ill try to get on tommorrow but my wife will be home all day so i wont be on much unless she goes somewhere. but anyway im trying make secret doors and get that glass that has the wire in it so i can build secret rooms and make walls that you can see through from the inside but from the outside it looks like a normal wall. i have tons of ideas but dont know how to do any of it.

but i will do my best to get on tommorrow but no promises cuz my wife will yell at me and tell me to do my homework instead or hang out with her or clean the house with her. .. . anyway you get the idea.
        :/
        • Like Like x 1
        • Jul 14, 2010
          • Mar 8, 2013
            for custom prop skins (e.g. vending machines), I think the way it works is that you simply pack your custom .vtf into the .bsp using PakRat, and it will override the default texture.

for the CS Office vending machine, the path to the texture file needs to be: materials/models/props/cs_office/vending_machine.vtf

I highly suggest you get a grasp of the basics of Hammer editor before you start worrying about stuff like this though.
            • Like Like x 1
            • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
            • Nov 11, 2011
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Aug 19, 2013
                well i can make rooms, buildings and hollow and carve for doors and windows and such. but i cant do much else. i mean i place entities so you can join and "test" the map. but i cant do any secrets for the map. I feel like ive gotten to a point where its dumb for me to try and make a map since i can make the blueprints for a map. but cant get the props to move right for a cade or make any secrets. :/
              • Nov 11, 2011
                :confused: ...... :weep: It was nice knowing you CCHR....

P.S. I'm kidding. lol. You have a lot to learn, you have to show up though for us to show how to do things. Placing a prop is easy, click this:

[IMG]

Then on the right hand side, on the drop down menu, choose prop_static:

[IMG]

Then click anywhere on the map where you want to place that prop.

Then choose the 1) arrow thing, 2) double click that little red box that you just placed to open up its properties, 3) click on World Model, 4) Click Browse:

[IMG]

Wait about a minute for SDK to search all the models you have, then on the bottom where it says "Filter", type "couch" or "sofa" or whatever you want. Press okay. :smile:

[IMG]
              • Aug 19, 2013
                ok i must not have looked hard enough. and thank you. right now i figure out how to make a door out of a texture. (instead of using a door). and now im trying to figure out how to make one way walls. and then my next one will teleporters and such.

again i do apologize but weekends are not a atime i can really play. that is really the only time my wife and kid and i can spend time together as a family. so we try to make the most of it. so i do apologize.
                i also decompiled your map just to kinda get a view on how you did things (hope thats okay) but everything was error this and error that and really choppy. so i gave up on that idea. but prolly on tuesday if you have the time i can get on and meet up with you to learn then.

anyway thanks for the patience and help with everything from all you guys.
                • Like Like x 1
                • Nov 11, 2011
                  No, fuck you for decompiling my maps, who do you think you are?!?! Jk lolz. Sure np. I have a lot of custom materials and models so you will see them as errors. Better off decompiling like... uhhh... like older maps. You should REALLY look at tutorials, especially the link Penguin gave.
                • Aug 19, 2013
                  yea im gonna look at that here in a bit. wife finally left for the store.
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Nov 11, 2011