Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

History/Economy genius? Care to help me?

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Anathema, Mar 11, 2012

1. Feb 18, 2011
    I am pretty sure if you passed middle school you know about the post-WW1 depression Germany went through. I do too, but I have been trying to look around for answers pertaining to a few questions regarding Germany and its economy. But the questions very much so feed in to what Germany is now, and to be honest it is one of the better countries that are thriving in the resection we are in. This is not to get homework done (mostly because I am being forced to take one of the most bullshit "history" classes on Earth which is "Big History"). I just find it purely interesting mostly because a lot of the past affects the future and can help you develop answers to modern day problems like the recession the world is facing right now.

When did Germany become self-reliant, why, and who helped ultimately stabilize it? (I predicted that it leads up to my second question.)
    Why is the German economy doing so much better than everyone else right now?

My background of the topic so far:

NOTE: If I am wrong on anything below please tell me, I apologize in advance if I am.

The Dawes Plan helped stabilize Germany and it became dependent on foreign investors, so when Wall Street crashed in 1929 Germany was fucked. Hitler took that chance to merge with the German National People's Party and take control of it when the Liberty Law fell through. That is when the Young Plan came into place where they reduced payments and demands (but yet still demanded something around 700 million despite the fact that they had the debts cancelled).

This is where the gap in history comes in to play for me because when Hitler took power he mass produced planes, tanks, guns and the lot to help form the German Army. How could he do that when the economy was still in bad shape, wouldn't it make the economy worse? I know it created jobs but you can't pay people with money you don't have (yes I know they had more than enough money in a literal perspective, but I took into account the basic rules of inflation). During WW2 the economy got worse because Germany constantly had to invade other countries to make up for the resources that the countries outside of the Axis Powers refused to give (The Allies and the Neutral countries).

Post WW2, Germany split during the Cold War and we noticed West was going steady because of the Marshall Plan. Obviously the East Germans wanted to be there which sparked the Berlin Wall, so East Germany crumbled. When they reunified in the 80's the economy was not doing bad, nor good. Thirty years later we see Germany being mildly affected by the current recession. This is where my second question comes into play, so does anyone know why Germany is in the healthiest state in terms of growth, unemployment rates, GDP and PPP?
  2. Oct 29, 2010
    Try google scholar in case you haven't yet.
  3. Feb 18, 2011
    I have, as well as multiple search engines and have come up with nothing. I can ask my history teacher tomorrow but he might not even know.
  4. Oct 29, 2010
    brb (bookmarking this post for further postings of article/journal discoveries relating to this thread)
  5. Dec 6, 2011
    I'm bookmarking this as well. I thirst for information like this sometimes, although I've never really noticed this. Thanks for making this @Anathema
  6. Sep 25, 2010
    Hmm, Well Hitler Took Control of SAAR in 1935 which according to Wikipedia had the following Economy :
    Important income sources are automobile industry, steel industry, coal mining, ceramic industry and computer science and information systems industry.
    I guess that's one way Hitler boosted the economy. And Before WW2, Hitler had expanded Germany's growth by invading :
    Rhine Land(1936)
    I guess Germany's Economy got boosted a lot because of those factors.

EDIT :> A link that summarize The Nazi Economy Clicky!
    EDIT :> http://www.johndclare.net/ very good website!
    EDIT :> Dunno if this is true but i speculate that Germany is still doing well since they are banned from making weapons( big waste of cash I guess)? thoughts on last edit?
  7. Feb 18, 2011
    It did not really boost the economy when they invaded. When they first invaded Poland the Germans lost a lot of goods. This is because countries don't want to be seen supporting the enemies. Germany lost a lot of goods and because of this they went for more countries. America did it to Japan too, which led to the Pearl Harbor attack. When Europe was conquered the Germans decided to invade North Africa so they could further build their army. How? The biggest natural recourse needed for war is petroleum. You can't fly planes, tanks, jeeps, APC's, or even use weapons without it. After the Allies took Africa Germany had a large drop in producing war-related things. Hitler did something with the economy that temporarily gave it some light but after WW2 it was back to where it was. The Cold War also has a bit of a gap for me, when the 2 Germanys merged what happened to the debt the East had? From what it looks like the East fell and all it did was become a part of the West. Now we look at Germany and notice they are just riding it out. What is weird too is when the Wall Street crash happened back around 09 or 10 Germany had just finished paying their last reperation from the Treaty of Versailles.
    Amazing how they are still doing great. I wish I was there now D:
  8. Jan 8, 2012
    I remember that in the depression children would have blocks of gold, or stacks of cash and play with it like its pocket change. Maybe that when the depression was coming to an end all these people had this stuff saved up that was nothing then, and are currently, wealthy beyond imagination. That's what I think makes them economically stable more than anyone, that and if you just came out of a depression centuries ago, you would know how to handle money better than anyone else imo.
  9. Feb 18, 2011
    Gold and money was interesting. Heres how much they paid:
    Not only did they pay a fuckton, but they just finished paying two years ago. Yet they are doing great.
  10. Jan 8, 2012
    Wish I had 23 grains of gold, 834 billion dollars, holy god. :nailbiting:

Yea they definately have a lot of gold, and still do, what shall they do with all that fine element.
  11. Feb 18, 2011
    Fun with money.
    I don't think this guy was even worried about it getting stolen.
    Children used stacks of money as toys.
    They even used it to stay warm, I never would have thought of burning money.
  12. Dec 6, 2011
    Correction, gold was still worth a lot, it was their currency that inflated. It was something like $7billion marks for a loaf of bread I think. Could have even been $7trillion, I can't remember.

Also @Anathema , there was a story about a family back then, that was poor and lived in a small home. So when they had trillions and trillions of marks, they couldn't fit all of it inside their house. So they had to stick it all in baskets outside on their front porch. When they awoke the next morning, their money was still there but the baskets were gone. Someone stole the baskets and left the money :ROFL: I wouldn't doubt it being true, since that's pretty much how it was back then.
  13. Feb 18, 2011
    Yea, I can understand why they stole it too, more money=food and water. But because there is too much of it they were careless.
  14. Oct 29, 2010
    Personal tidbit: I suspect it has something to do with the high export:import ratio Germany does. . .
  15. Feb 18, 2011