Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

How do you make a solid ZM map?|||How do you make custom textures?

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Bleach and Tide Pods, Feb 28, 2018

1. Feb 27, 2018
    • Hello everyone willing to help out. I have been playing CS:S since 2005 and using Hammer for about a week now. I know how to make needs such as spawns, buy-zone, buildings/brush, teleports, static props, sky-box, and displacements (haven't had first-hand experience yet) thanks to YouTube. I didn't learn lighting (peeked my head in the door for it) or anything else from YouTube because I didn't think I would need to learn about lighting or anything else till I finish making buildings/brush, static props and teleports.
    • I have been trying to get my own texture for the last THREE DAYS STRAIGHT! I listened to everyone on here and YouTube. Everyone says use VTFEdit to make the picture you want a valve material file with the correct resolutions the source engine can accept 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048 or 4096 pixels. Then, make a new folder in the material folder of CS:S and put the Valve Material you just switched from a picture into the new folder. Next, make a txt. file so the valve material file can register what sound to use in-game like this. "$basetexture" "file_directory_of_texture_name/texture_name" "$surfaceprop" "wood". It is blank when I place the texture on brush and it's like there is a No Draw but it's blank when I apply it. I see the thumbnail of the texture file in the search portal looking for a texture to apply, which is weird. I went into a version of Photoshop to try and get rid of transparency thinking that transparency was the problem, it is still blank on brushes. I also downloaded the 30-day trial of Filter Forge 7 trying to make it work, no go... What did I do wrong?

• I know at some point YouTube will not help me and need another source to learn from. (no pun intended) I don't know if there is a tutorial on how to make a ZM map on YouTube and if it is, it's rare and hard to find. I don't see one here either. If I make a ZM map, I want it to be well made and solid. I learn fast if that helps and I 'am a perfectionist. Thank You everyone for your help!
  2. Feb 27, 2012
    Are you making a txt file or a vmt file? Because it should be a vmt file.
  3. Feb 27, 2018
    Oh darn. I forgot to mention that, I did rename the txt file to a vmt. Sorry for that. I have been up all night yesterday trying to figure out Hammer in general and what the secrets and everything is going to be in my mind on the map.
    Bleach and Tide Pods, Feb 28, 2018 Last edited by Bleach and Tide Pods, Feb 28, 2018
  4. Feb 27, 2012
    Where in my screenshot it says "vertexlitgeneric" do you have "unlitgeneric"? Make sure that it does say "unlitgeneric"

[IMG]
    • Programming King Programming King x 1
    • Feb 27, 2018
      Thank You so much Tony! It works! :heart: :heart:
      It does show, but only in Hammer. When I run the map it crashes. Do you know why this happens?
      Bleach and Tide Pods, Mar 1, 2018 Last edited by Bleach and Tide Pods, Mar 1, 2018
    • Feb 27, 2012
      Could you post the compile log, and the contents of the VMF here? Also try removing the texture and replace it with something else to see if it is that which is causing the crash first.
    • Feb 27, 2018
      "unlitgeneric"
      {
      "$basetexture" "texture_directory/texture"
      "$bumpmap" "texture_directory/texture"
      "$surfaceprop" "wood"
      "$envmap" "env_cubemap"
      "$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" 1
      "$envmapcontrast" 1
      "$model" 1
      "$selfillum" 1
      }
    • Feb 27, 2012
      Get rid of the envmap, bumpmap, normalmapalphaenvmapmask, envmapcontrast, model and selfillum lines. Its likely that its just the model line that is causing crashes but the rest are unnecessary unless you actually made bump maps and normal maps for your custom texture. Also verify that the directory to your texture is correct in the basetexture line. ( It should be something like "materials/custom/cooltexture1")
    • Feb 27, 2018
      I got this and they are now pink a black squares.
      "unlitgeneric"
      {
      "$basetexture" "materials/texture_directory/texture"
      "$surfaceprop" "wood"
      }
    • Feb 27, 2012
      my apologies, it should be lightmappedgeneric instead of unlitgeneric.

Also verify the location of the path. Again, I was on crack because you don't need to add the Materials part to the path. However, is your custom folder for your texture "texture_directory" and the texture just called "texture"?
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Feb 27, 2018
        LoL, no. I did that for example purposes and it works when I run it! For realzies this time, thank you Tony for you're effort. I figured out that it's the map that crashes it, gotta start over. :struggle: The more you know.:beer:
      • Feb 27, 2012
        Should be able to figure out what is crashing without starting over. Any chance you have a compile log, or willing to send me the VMF in a PM? If you were super far into it i wouldn't want ya to start over.

It could be something silly as a static model's centre of origin being outside of the map (in the void)
      • Feb 27, 2018
      • Feb 27, 2012

on this teleport you have parented it with the destination. this is what is causing the crash. if you delete the parent from the teleport trigger, your map will run.
      • Feb 27, 2018
      • Mar 26, 2009
        While Source will work with this range of textures, you generally don't want to go smaller than 16x16 and larger than 1024x1024. Small textures can cause weird lighting and performance issues and excessively large textures use lots of disk space. I think a DXT5 compressed 1024x1024 texture uses 1.33 MB, but the problem comes if the texture has a normal map, which cannot be compressed and must be stored as BGR888 or BGRA8888 (if an alpha channel is used) and can balloon up to 5-8 MB.
        • Programming King Programming King x 1