Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

How much would you charge?

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Skiptron, Sep 3, 2013

1. Jun 23, 2010
    I'm going to be building my old employer a new computer (15 to be exact, and they are paying for the parts), and I was wondering what would be a fair price to charge them. Its a small business, and the owner and employee are great (Almost everyone in the company knows each other), and they have been great to me when I was there.

So how much would you guys charge for building 15 computers for a small business?

Thanks!

Edit: I use to work for them.
    Skiptron, Sep 3, 2013 Last edited by Skiptron, Sep 3, 2013
  2. Feb 1, 2011

hundred thousand dollars

edit: i dont know
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • May 11, 2011
      EDIT sorry miss read it 45 would be fair.
      • Like Like x 1
        apollo, Sep 3, 2013 Last edited by apollo, Sep 3, 2013
      • Jul 14, 2010
        Think of how long it will take you to build each computer, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hour, etc or how long it will take to finish all of them and come up with an hourly rate you think is fair, so say 15 computers = 15 hours, * 10 or 20 dollars, whatever you think is fair and go with it.

Depends really how quick you can build them.
        • Like Like x 1
        • Jul 16, 2012
          I'd go with a fair price of 45$ each, estimating it takes 45 minutes -> 1 hour to finish each.

*edit, keyboard lied and said 15, watching Prop Hunts (gmod) and didn't notice lol
          Haystack94, Sep 3, 2013 Last edited by Haystack94, Sep 3, 2013
        • Dec 6, 2011
          Depends how complex the computers are. I could imagine this will take more than a day, since if something goes wrong installing the OS, it'll be a bitch to get it working sometimes.

What are the total prices of each computer? Building 15 PCs with the most generic parts that are only $300 total is a lot different than a top-notch gaming rig that's $2,000.

For the $300 computers I'd say around $500-$750 total, and if they're more expensive at more than $1k each, I'd say in the $1,000 range. It's a hard decision to make, especially since they're on good terms with you and they're not just customers.

I ain't givin' you tree fiddy you goddamn lochness mon'sa! Get yer own goddamn moneh!
          • Like Like x 1
          • Winner Winner x 1
          • Jun 23, 2010
            Also to add, its just basics. CPU (+ Stock HSF), Mobo, RAM, PSU, ODD, HDD and a bit of cable management and making sure it boots up properly. I'm only doing the Hardware since I won't have enough time to do the OS since I will be moving.

And a Extra computer same as above, but instead of HDD, its a SSD.
          • Dec 6, 2011
            Oh no OS installation? So you can basically blow through each one in 15-20 minutes then. Do some killer cable management, then move on to the next. Personally I'd only do around $250 but that's up to you.

What it comes down to, is if it's just a job to you, or a shot at experience and something you enjoy doing.
            • Like Like x 1
            • Aug 2, 2010
              Calculate the amount of time it'll take you and charge them $30/hr.
              • Like Like x 1
              • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
              • Jun 23, 2010
                Well I talked to the owner today and he agreed with what I asked him.

Thanks for the help everyone! :grin:
                • Like Like x 1
                • Mar 20, 2011
                  Glad you got something agreed on, I recommend also charging by hourly rate so you don't get jacked. Here in California I charge $85hr. I could charge $99 but I want to have competitive rates and everyone is happy to pay for my services. Then again, it also all depends on your skills too.
                • Sep 22, 2010
                • Jun 23, 2010
                  Higher then most of the suggested post . He wanted to give me a "little" Thank you present. Lol
                  • Like Like x 1