Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

How To: Build a gaming PC for $900 or less.

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by BowChicaHonkHonk, Jul 29, 2012

Did you build your own pc?

Yes. 12 vote(s) 37.5%
I bought a pre-build. 5 vote(s) 15.6%
I'm playing on a regular PC/Laptop. 8 vote(s) 25.0%
I'm playing on a calculator. 7 vote(s) 21.9%
  1. Mar 30, 2010
    Tired of playing on your crappy computer? Got about $900 in your pocket? Well, then it's time to improve.

I am definitely not a pro at this and is why I'm making this thread. Would love to get some help, as well as give tips from learning from my own mistakes (which I will definitely make) for future builders. I will be guessing on steps of building a computer, and if a correction will be made, it will be posted. I've put a computer before, but with all the pieces already in my hands, so it won't be COMPLETELY alien to me.

Any and all tips are appreciated.
    I will progress the guesses the further we go.

This color is a guess. It will be replaced with a correction, if its wrong. If you have a correction for a correction... then it will be the most popular one.

Lets begin, shall we.

Guess #1: First step is choosing the tower (case).
    Clam Chowder: This one is a personal preference.

Guess#2: Second step is getting the motherboard. Your motherboard will need to fit your tower, it might not...
    Clam Chowder & Brett: Processor before the motherboard.

Guess#3: Pentium processors are the way to go. (i5 or i7)?
    Skiptron: i5 2500k/2600k or 3570k. AMD for cheapness.

Question#4: What is your suggestion on where to get parts?
    Newegg.com, Amazon, NCIX.ca, NCIX.com

Guess#5: When choosing a processor, the more MHz the better.

Morphy: http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af150/The_FalconO6/CurrentLogicalPCBuyingGuide/Guide.png
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
      BowChicaHonkHonk, Jul 29, 2012 Last edited by BowChicaHonkHonk, Jul 30, 2012
    • Jun 23, 2010
      I'll input any advice I have since I'm a hardware guy when it comes to Custom PC.
    • Mar 30, 2010
    • Nov 29, 2010
      1> Whatever floats your boat, I tend to pick my parts first before choosing a case so I can find something that fits appropriately, again, personal preference. Cases with great wire management, modularity and airflow are ideal

2> Not quite, you'll need to pick a processor first, and then find a motherboard that is compatible with that processor. Every generation of processors use different sockets, you'll need to match up the socket types together

I like you, :grin:
      Clam Chowder, Jul 29, 2012 Last edited by Clam Chowder, Jul 29, 2012
    • Dec 6, 2011

We used to do these on Tom's Hardware, they were fun =D

Anyways, there's no exact steps to take, but what I suggest is you figure out what you want to accomplish with your PC first (max fps gaming, video editing, Hammer'ing, etc.).

And the first step definitely is not the case, the case should be more at the end, because the parts you get/want, decide on how big you need it to be, how much airflow you will need, and all of that.

What I believe the first step is, is choosing your processor, which determines what socket type motherboard you will get (LGA 1155, LGA 2011, AMD3+).
    • Jun 23, 2010
      #1 Case: Personal preference and depends on what you are planning to do (Air or Watercooling)
      But for case, my personal favorite is the Shinobi XL w/ Windows, NZXT Switch 810, Corsair 800D, HAF Series. In that order :razz:

#2 Motherboard: Like the other said. Depend on what CPU's you want to get. And what you are planning to do with the build.

#3 CPU's: Like I said, all this stuff depends on what you are planning to do. If gaming, i5 2500k/2600k or 3570k (If you want Intel that is.) is enough for gaming. Unless you are planning to do some rendering and editing, etc.
      If you want to save some money, go with AMD.
    • Feb 9, 2012
      The title and opening question was very misleading lol. for a moment i thought this was a guide on how to build one with only 900 dollars. but yeh brett and anathema are probably good to ask on how to do these things. still waiting on my financial aid money then i can make brett help me build a new comp xD
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Let me know when TH forums actually give a useful, non-troll answers. :razz:
    • Mar 30, 2010
      The point is to give tips and opinions on how to do it. Process.
    • Jun 23, 2010
      Best place to get parts are: Newegg.com, Amazon.com (When they have deals!), TigerDirect (On certain parts.), US.NCIX.

Watercooling etc: Performance-PCS, Jabtech, Sidewinders computers, Xoxide, frozen-cpu.

Those are the places where I get most of my parts.
    • Mar 19, 2011
      Great suggestions Skiptron, when I built my computer I did not just stick with one site that won't get you the most bang for your buck...

Patience is key as well when shopping read reviews, do your homework.. if you have concerns about the compatibility of your components there are numerous forums out there that will lend you assistance, visit the sites daily see what deals are available and also keep in mind prices change frequently so a great deal isn't always going to be available.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Nov 29, 2010

3> Intel Processors are great for efficient power consumption, and lower temperatures. AMD is good for raw power and lower prices all around. You do not need to go past 3ghz quad for good performance. (I.E i7 2700k) unless you plan to overclock
        4> Newegg, Amazon, Anywhere that can sell computer parts and have frequent sales. For Canada, NCIX is great.
      • Dec 2, 2011
        I BUILT MY COMPUTER WITH CALCULATOR PARTS, caps for the win.
      • Mar 19, 2011
        #4: Amazon and Newegg are obvious choices, but please keep in mind of NCIX.ca (Canada) or NCIX.com (US) and Tiger Direct. I just so happened to get a great deal on my HAF 932 Advanced (-$30) from NCIX and although Tiger Direct does have sale tax I was able to purchase 8 GB of Kingston Hyper X RAM for $35 even after sales tax. My suggestion open 4 tabs of all four sites and compare the pricing of one part.
        N B K, Jul 30, 2012 Last edited by N B K, Jul 30, 2012
      • Mar 30, 2010
        Fractal Arc Midi case is 40% off with a promo code on newegg.com, ends tomorrow. Pretty nice, considering its $110ish.
      • Feb 18, 2011
        You could always do what I do, blow an absurd amount of money on a computer, my processor already exceeds the budget of 900, and so does @CyphX
      • Oct 24, 2011
      • Jul 30, 2012
        Whatever you do don't go AMD. I went AMD to save a ton of money and it was not worth it.
      • Jun 23, 2010
        Well Intel have some bad chip like AMD also. Just saying. It's Technology, they gotta be competitive.