Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Tutorial How To Recover a Map

Discussion in Resources & Tutorials started by Ghost, Mar 5, 2012

Should i make more guides like this?

Yes 7 vote(s) 77.8%
Maybe 1 vote(s) 11.1%
No 1 vote(s) 11.1%
  1. May 14, 2011
    I am making this Thread for all mappers to read, expert and beginners because this informations could save you days of work and a lot of stress.

There are 3 ways to recover a lost map that hammer will just refuse to open.

Method 1 - Decompiling a previous Copy

This to me seems an obvious step to do if you lose a vmf file. If you are far in you map then you will be constantly re-compiling the map in order to test various bis and pieces. This is a BAD time to lose all your work but there is hope.

You need to head to the folder where all your maps reside. That is, where the .vmf files are. There you will find 5 files with the same name. The one you are looking for is the .bsp file. You need to put it in your desktop for ease of use and download a useful little program called VMEX. Using it you can decompile your map back the .vmf file. Some differences may be found and some errors but you will get the main body of your work back.

Please refer to tutorials if you are unsure on how to use VMEX. Under no circumstances should you use VMEX to decompile other mappers work and remake it as your own map unless you have the mappers permission.

Method 2 - Autosave

Many of you probably don't know that Hammer will auto save your maps as you make them just in case something like this happens. The Autosave folder is found in the root folder of you C:\ drive

C:\HammerAutosave <--- directory

In this folder Hammer will autosave you map every so often under the name

mg_ghosts_multigame_001.vmf_autosave

mg_ghosts_multigame.vmf being the original map name in this case.

You will need to change the file name back to the original by removing the _autosave part. Then you can check if that works. Hammer saves a series of 5 autosave files in a cycle so always go for the most recently edited one.

Method 3 - .vmx

Have you ever wondered what the .vmx file in you map folder was? Well in this case its your holy grail. This is a running backup of your .vmf file incase your .vmf is damaged in anyway. Simply rename the file extension to .vmf .

mg_ghosts_multigame.vmx -> mg_ghosts_mutigame.vmf

This will always work and is the most useful and "unknown" thing to do to recover a map.

Remember always save regularly and don't worry if you lose a map because one of these methods is bound to work.

Try to keep this thread alive as there is almost no information about this on the internet and it took me about an hour to find out how to recover my map.

Thanks
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Feb 11, 2012
      • Like Like x 1
      • May 14, 2011
        Yup thought people might not so I posted it. I might make a habit of posting helpful tips like this.
      • Jan 8, 2012
        tl:dr but from the looks of it people like to jump in on map making and not ask for help whether its provided or not.

On the other hand contributing tut's will always be useful, so yes make more guidlines to help those who need it. Maybe it will help prevent threads that ask questions which have already been answered.
      • May 14, 2011
        Maybe make a sticky FAQ for me so I could post my guides there? I dont know im getting lots of responses fast so its good feedback so far.
      • Jan 8, 2012
        Now whether your guides get made into something just for YOU to post guides is up to those appointed higher than me. But from my guess, your new, no one knows you or atleast I don't, you would have to make some incredible SHIT to get that kind of position on the forum.

Good luck though
        • Like Like x 1
        • May 14, 2011
          Well I didn't mean "just me" a head admin could make a sticky and post guides there post by post. I personally don't have to do it and i don't have to be to only one to contribute. Just thought the idea of an FAQ might be good.
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Jul 28, 2011
          • May 14, 2011
            You can play with the settings in VMEX to make it better than BSP source but each mapper has their own views on which one is better. I would avoid using method 1 in any case as it never leaves an exact copy of the original. Use method 3. Its the unknown miricale. Bet you didn't know what vmx was for before you read this :razz:
          • Jul 28, 2011
            Well, I knew that it was a useless file which would never serve me any purpose. And now I know differently :razz:
          • Jun 4, 2006
            Moved to Resources & Tutorials, also made thread prefixes so you can easily filter between resources and tutorial threads, presuming they have prefixes applied. You can start a FAQ thread if you wish, and if it's deemed rich enough, it can be pinned.

[IMG]

[IMG]

joy
            • Useful Useful x 1
            • May 14, 2011
              Thanks a lot. I didn't notice the section of the forums. What i've realised is that compared to the other section no one reads this O.o . But I will post other useful tips here from now on.
            • May 15, 2011
              I never new about the .vmx. Always assumed it was a valve thing that I could ignore. Thanks though, that will definitely come in handy someday.

I hope someday we get a new program, or they update Hammer, cause Hammer makes me a sad panda. :panda:
            • May 14, 2011
              Hammer is an SDK. It is based on the knowledge that you "made" the game. If so you would know everything about it. If you haven't realised there are no "official" guides on how to use SDK (Software Developer Kit) . Hence mappers need to share information like this. Hammer is 100% experimenting. I think its good enough that valve provide software for us mappers.

On a brighter note, they do update hammer like the Source MP mapping mode. I am quite sure they will release a CS:GO hammer beta soon if they haven't already.

P.S. THAT PANDA IS SO CUTE
            • May 15, 2011
              Hammer is cool and all and I love Valve, but we have SO MANY ERRORS AND BUGS! >.< Or at least fix the Vertex Manipulation tool and I'll be happah! :grin:

And yes dat Panda is so cute, he's just so squishy. :3

It'll be neat what CS:GO will have new for us. I look forward to playing around with it. ^^
            • Jun 29, 2012
            • Jun 4, 2006
              Making video be mush better the only thing I know on source sdk is the spawn and that it lol
            • May 14, 2011
            • Jan 9, 2012