Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Tutorial How To Recover a Map

Discussion in Resources & Tutorials started by Ghost, Mar 5, 2012

Should i make more guides like this?

Yes 7 vote(s) 77.8%
Maybe 1 vote(s) 11.1%
No 1 vote(s) 11.1%
  1. Dec 3, 2011
    You better use BSPSource to decompile maps since he decompiles everything, VMEX can loose things and forget stuff to decompile, most cases u have basicly a half decompiled map or many missing entities, BSPSource is an updated version from VMEX and much better to use!

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/BSPSource

But great tutorial! x
  2. May 14, 2011
    Lol btw this IS a necro. :smile: this tut was quite old. Will convert into a vid today for you. :smile:
  3. Jan 9, 2012
    If you know how to use and how the program works. You rarely encounter bugs. The main error with vertex manipulation, is that hammer thinks in vertices but the engine thinks in planes. So, 4 vertices can be in hammer, but may not create flat plane and it will look funky. Also, brushes have to be concave (Ie, no more than 180 degrees) and no microbrushes (No thinner than 1 unit).

A safe guide is to make triangles only, as 3 points will ALWAYS create a flat plane. Another is to move the vertices at a time (create a box around a pair of vertices, it will look blue, press enter) and drag them together.

I could make a tutorial/explanatory video of this.
    • Like Like x 1
    • May 14, 2011
      You cannot turn triangles into displacements :frown:
    • Jan 9, 2012
      But displacements create triangles. And you can hide displacements under brushes, and when you make a displacements, you don't need a flat plane
    • May 14, 2011
      I often manipulate the vertices on displacements before hand to make them neat. I have been though all the downsides of using vertex vrs. clipping tool. Vertex tool is better if your not in a rush basically and you need more detail.

Also your point about the <1 unit. That gave me some trouble once. I hate the overlay tool so i just use thin brushes. So I found out the hard way brushes cannot be <1 unit. However, quick use of Notepad ++ solved my issue. :smile: I will put a guide on how to edit vmf's using notepad++ in my tut as well. :smile:

(not meaning to sound as if I know more than your, you are by far a greater mapper, just giving my side of the story)