Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Hypothesis on "Asian Parties"

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Clam Chowder, Jun 27, 2011

1. Nov 29, 2010
    Alright my Asian friends, I need help to confirm a hypothesis that breaks down the "gist" of what happens during a get-together of multiple groups of people hosted by asian people.

Food is either served on a huge table, or along the floor of a hardwood floor

1) More than one family gets together usually (2 is fine, but usually they're bigger)

2) Kids are off doing their own little thing like playing games in the computer room or family room, raiding the toybox.

3) Drinks for males are mandatory, you are offered/forced a drink even if you're the designated driver

4) Your drink is always refilled without you knowing. If you do notice and attempt to reject, it is filled anyways.

5) Someone always passes out drunk early after the first 2 glasses of XO/Black Label/Booze

6) Kids are forced to greet the elders (40+) and forced to say goodbye.

7) Main course is always Hot-Pot, Surprise Stew, or do it yourself Salad Rolls. with an optional side of bbq

8) The teenagers get up and go out after finishing their meal, or get competitive in some gambling games (poker/majong/chinese chess)

9) That drunk uncle that tries to get close to everyone

10) Adults then will optionally partake in gambling, the rest sit at the dinner table and share stories and jokes. (Laughing is audible across the house) every winning hand will have the phrase "OOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!!!" yelled out

11) Karaoke is heard afterwards, often played very loudly, and drunk family members attempt to sing/yell into the mic and sluggishly follow the lyrics.

11.5) People start going home, but the goodbyes turn into "One more drink" and they wind up staying... for another 2 hours

12) It's time to go home, but at least 1 person has to stay behind because they're too drunk to drive/ they got their designated driver drunk/they fell asleep because they're lightweight

Now, this is based on experience. I went to another friend's get-together and they're Cambodian and the experience was similar, is this absolutely true?
  2. May 27, 2008
    Yes. This works the same with Mexicans, but our games are "Will we lose a finger", "Let's see how much shit we can ruin" and Hopscotch.
  3. Apr 11, 2011
    This ones definitely true...and annoying. My mom still does this to me even when we are just visiting one person and they just look at me like I'm retarded. ahh parents.
  4. May 27, 2008
    I banish the double post because I am a hero. Carry on.
  5. Dec 30, 2006
    Agree. Except my family doesn't drink. lol
  6. May 11, 2011
    Vietnamese get togethers are more or less the same. Double points on the karaoke and poker, but depending on the family. Some will have cases of Heineken and they'll finish it all. My family get togethers don't have much drinking involved, only a few beers for the uncles. The guy cousins partake in poker with the uncles after playing games with each other on the PS3/Xbox. We'll also watch movies. The girl cousins talk to each other. There's the talkative Grandma & aunts. Spring rolls/Egg rolls are a must. Don't forget the Green Tea :wink:
  7. Oct 27, 2010
    Most of my extended family is dead, and most of the rest are too mentally unstable to be at a party / get together :mellow:
  8. Sep 14, 2008
    I wish I was Asian...my family gets together either at a funeral or a milestone birthday like 20th, 30th, 40th... <.<
  9. Mar 13, 2010
  10. Jun 23, 2010
    12) There always someone driving a nice car. (BMW, Mercedes, etc)
  11. May 6, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIysyXdWhD8&feature=player_detailpage
  12. Jun 23, 2010
  13. Dec 17, 2010
    I am too :smile:
  14. Sep 21, 2008
    Some of this isn't true. But that is probably because I only hang with young peoples.
  15. Nov 2, 2010
    I go to China a lot to meet my dads friends when hes on business trips.. Though it's more loud over there. People chew with their mouths wide open, they'll bust into you if your in their way.. Etc. China's a great place though! And I am 1/4 Japanese. But I haven't been to Japan for a long time lol..
  16. Sep 6, 2010
    Not sure about the other ones but this one seems to be true. My friend from work likes to keep others beer glasses full and likes to get extra shots. :grin: