Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Idea for server restarts/crashes

Discussion in CS:S Zombie Escape started by jookbob, Apr 22, 2012

1. Mar 19, 2012
    Would it be possible to have the server reset to the previous map or the map that was voted before the crash? I think that would be a better alternative than minecraft simply because we always just wait till we can rtv and then get off the map as soon as possible.

Another side idea: @@admins to send a message to all admins online would be a nice chat command
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Apr 12, 2012
      Sounds like nice ideas.. I especially like the 'return to previous map'. This morning for instance we were 10 minutes into predator and it crashed, and even though we actually got lucky and rtv'd back to it within 10 minutes, that isn't usually the case. To implement a script/extension/whatever like that would depend some on the time priorities of whoever does the coding, although I can't imagine it would be very hard to set up, but the real question is - do you want a map (say, a new/updated map) that crashes a lot to be restarted 5 or 6 times over the course of 2 hours? Of course, you could code against that possibility too (if a map has crashed and been restarted X number of times in a row, go instead to the default map minecraft/whatever), but again, its the coder's time priorities.
      • Agree Agree x 1
        Andrew, Apr 22, 2012 Last edited by Andrew, Apr 22, 2012
      • Feb 18, 2011
        The base map/starter map whatever you want to call it that is gone to after a server crash, is chosen because it is a stable map and not a map that will cause crashes.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Dec 2, 2011
          A vote could be made and depending on the ppl in the server at the time can vote yes no or what ever to Return to previous map. I also agree this are great ideas!
        • Feb 9, 2012
          this has already been discussed. if a map causes a crash, and the server restarts back to that same map, we'd be seeing continuous crashes.

as for the admin chat thing, that command does exist but only to the admins currently online on the server you're in. it'd be confusing also cuz people would be saying ''xxx is using an illegal spray'' and you wouldnt be able to reply back to them unless you find out what server they're msging u from, and then you'd have to be familiar with the map to find out where that person sprayed it.
        • Apr 9, 2007

What if it's a horrible map that you want to get off of though?
          Wouldn't you rather have a random starter map?
        • Apr 9, 2007
          Team chat -> @ Message here - Already does this, and has since Mani was first released...
        • Dec 2, 2011
          To clarifey jookbob was saying he was saying to have it sent to all admins on all servers that are online.
          But with the map @ the op after asking players if they want to go back to that map it could be discussed with any admins on that server. What do you think Kyle.
        • Apr 9, 2007

Thanks!
        • Dec 2, 2011
          :nerd:
        • Apr 12, 2012
          What if 2 or 3 minutes after the crash there was a vote to return to the previous map?

I think it would be great to have a feature that would let the players online at the time decide - that way if a map had just started (like predator today), it could be restarted without having to hope that a donator/admin was online to nominate it. If a map had crashed near the end of the 30 minutes, or if it was a horrible map, or if it crashed twice early on, the players would most likely not pass the vote. You could even make it a two-thirds majority vote.
        • Dec 2, 2011
          You should read other ppls post I already said that.
        • Mar 19, 2012
          If you could reset the timer to the previous time you wouldn't have to worry about continuous crashes or the map being extended for 2 hrs (extends must be reset). If a map crashes at a certain point then an admin can just change it or people can RTV. If the map crashes randomly or at start, then it shouldn't be on the server anyways. I just find it to be a waste of time sitting on minecraft for 5 minutes when almost always we go back to the previous map or a map we would have voted.

Edit: @@admins would be useful if your not sure if any admins are in-game or if they dont use the [pF] tag.
        • Apr 12, 2012
          Yes, you are correct Richard, you did say that. I added reasons to support your idea, since I liked it. I'm sorry that I forgot to quote you.