Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Suggestion Ideas for the 'Admin Abuse' subforum

Discussion in Website Feedback & Bugs started by Vadleon, Jun 23, 2013

1. Jan 12, 2011
    I remember some time ago that if you were going to bump a month+ old thread with a new reply, you'd be prompted with a little yellow checkbox acknowledging that you were aware that the thread was old before you could make the reply. It was a neat little feature that would be an extra step to make the person posting consider if what they were contributing was really worth the bump.

Well what if we implemented a similar thing with the 'Admin Abuse' subforum, so that every reply in the thread would have a checkbox prompt with the Abuse Thread Reminder:
    This would require everyone, players and admins alike, who would post in the thread to become aware of what's appropriate and what's not, and keep the clutter down. Hopefully it'll cut down on the amount of unnecessary posts in threads, and with it the number of posts that may need deleting for being unnecessary, and additionally the number of times that these guidelines need to be linked by LSAs to prevent unnecessary posting. So much unnecessary business. :hypnotized:

Another idea I had for the 'Admin Abuse' subforum was to add a header/template to the 'Create Thread' page that would outline the relevant info to include in an abuse report, since as is it's quite bare. Based on the likes of the 'Admin Subscription' create page, I suggest:
    1) Add a template based on Mer's how-to thread, including this info:
    2) If needed, add a button that would expand to show what kinds of proof may be provided and how it can be acquired, as explained in Mer's thread:
    I'd also want to include a section about copying chat logs from the console, or how to access chat logs via the Forums, and also update the screenshot bit with the new Steam overlay screenshot function (default F12). Little things here or there could be shortened as seen fit, but having this provided might not be a bad idea.

And lastly, like the Admin Sub page, provide a small example button for one instance of a type of abuse to demonstrate what a full report looks like. (Not really needed, but for the sake of completeness.)

Even though a number of abuse reports typically already have some amount of information to get the ball rolling, and some are even kind enough to provide some evidence, I think having this provided right on the 'Create Thread' screen would help players make more complete reports in the future. Also, I'm sure we can never really put enough emphasis on providing proof of the abuse in the report, so having it there might help remind players to go back and get it when posting the thread.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Good Idea Good Idea x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
      Vadleon, Jun 23, 2013 Last edited by Vadleon, Jun 24, 2013
    • Mar 12, 2008
      I prefer posting once with the thread. It's a passive-agressive way of saying "someone in here is breaking the rules".
    • Jun 10, 2011
      But you're SA Taters, stop breaking the rule by quoting the rule, douche ;P
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Jan 12, 2011
        I've considered doing the same before, but have generally abstained from doing so since I don't believe it's my place when the LSAs could just as easily clear things up and keep order in the thread. Also, I myself may be considered to be breaking the rules by posting a quote or reminder while not actually contributing to the incident.

Edit: Nez and I replied at the same time.. Fancy that.:silly:
      • Mar 12, 2008
        Don't tell me what to do, woman.

Helping keep a thread clear of trash posts by quoting necessary parties and linking a list of rules we should all know by heart isn't detrimental, at least from what i've seen. If anything i'm ultimately helping to prevent anyone from having to clean threads and/or warn anyone.
      • Apr 9, 2007
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • May 31, 2012
          Not that the current system isn't working but if it were to change I would personally make the Admin Abuse forum similar to Contact Senior Admin (CSA) where only the OP and the LSAs+ can see the thread. The difference between CSA and Admin Abuse would be that tagged (ie. if I tagged myself @Joshy) people would be able to see the thread as well; that way LSAs+, the player and the defending admin could call upon relevant people in their thread to support each case. If you don't get tagged, it's not relevant.

The strength to this suggested system is also it's weakness: for the rare case that outside players have evidence to support one or another's statement, they would not be able to jump in on there own. I consider it rare because it is very uncommon for people to record demos of every round or even when a situation arises; it's difficult enough to get admins to do it, and I am betting it is even more scarce in non-admins.

I would also like if admin abuse were more private. I don't understand why everyone needs to be involved. I think of Plaguefest as a more professional environment compared to other servers so I am surprised that the abuse reports are out in the open like Pokemon battles rather than like business would inside closed doors where the involved people can talk it out and work to an agreement. My expectations might be too high :neutral:
          Joshy, Jun 24, 2013 Last edited by Joshy, Jun 24, 2013
        • Feb 3, 2012
        • Jul 1, 2010
          This is exactly why the system is the way it is in my opinion. A second person doesn't necessarily have to have a demo to be helpful to the abuse report process, and just because something is open doesn't mean that it can't have a professional atmosphere. That being said, the admin abuse reporter really should have some form of proof. People just need to follow the rules and guidelines for the admin abuse forum, and anything that doesn't fit within said guidelines gets removed.

Personally, I'm going to start handing out warnings to people who don't start following the admin abuse forum guidelines so I shall link them again, in addition to Vadleons OP, here. I'm also not opposed to locking a thread after we feel that all of the information is posted, as all of Staff can post without having to unlock said thread.

Also, what Taters did was indeed not detrimental.

http://plaguefest.com/threads/abuse-thread-reminder-everyone-read.6380/

Note: this is all just pure opinion.
          Dharkk, Jun 24, 2013 Last edited by Dharkk, Jun 24, 2013
        • Nov 11, 2011
          Since people are still making abuse reports with lack of critical information, might be useful to bump this. Thanks.
        • Mar 20, 2011
          How about making mandatory fields and if those cannot be filled out to a minimum requirement, then you cannot make a post.

This makes since to me....
          • Like Like x 1
          • Mar 12, 2008
            prob would be easy to do i think. I don't know how to website, but having fields such as:

• Abuser's name
            • Image Link or demo file
            • Additional info
            • check-box saying that if this is incomplete it will be deleted without warning for wasting time. If this check-box is not checked then they can't post.
            just some thoughts.
            • Like Like x 1
            • Jul 1, 2010
              We can handle people making abuse reports without proper documentation. If ya don't have anything to contribute ya don't need to post anyway.
              • Agree Agree x 1
                Dharkk, Jul 11, 2013 Last edited by Dharkk, Jul 11, 2013
              • Nov 11, 2011
                It's about making the due process more efficient, not about what you guys can handle. But then again, you are the LSA's and deal with those issues.

EDIT: Undid rate, wrong click.
              • May 31, 2012
                But it still helps if someone posts "I was there" or "I witnessed this" etc. and they don't need a picture or demo for that. This is why the forums couldn't be hidden or fields be added because this would prevent people saying stuff that needs to be said.

Maybe (minor) consequences should be added for people who add useless information and just enforce it? Repeat offenders eventually get in trouble?
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Mar 20, 2011
                  Yeah, that was what I was thinking, just trying to streamline the process. Buy hey I am not here to get anyone upset, just thoughts on what may help.
                • Jan 12, 2011
                  Typically people get off with a reminder to not do this or that, but if they persist or generally do things they shouldn't on the Forums, they get warnings and eventually Forums suspension.

The main intention of this thread was to bring more relevant content to threads and encourage people to exercise discretion when posting in the Admin Abuse subforum. I know LSAs do a good job of looking over things and cleaning threads when necessary, but I was hoping that a few tweaks to the layout would reduce clutter and improve OP content so they wouldn't have to micromanage as much and have an easier time moving the process along.

More ideas are welcome, but by no means do I want that section locked down tight, since as mentioned witnesses are an important part of providing information and context to reports. Entering information into fields could be a good way to organize a report for the OP, but some flexibility may still be needed in case they don't have something and instead need someone else to come in and post the missing bit. That's why I went with a template idea like with the Admin Sub section.

Keep discussing! If deemed useful collectively by the Management and LSAs, hopefully some things can be added to improve future threads. :thumbsup:
                  Vadleon, Jul 12, 2013 Last edited by Vadleon, Jul 12, 2013
                • Mar 12, 2008
                  I think if brian added something to the bottom of a thread (like the necro-post warning) saying "if you have don't have anything worthwhile to bring to the conversation you may have your posting rights suspended" or something. That would probably be easiest and most straightforward
                • Apr 9, 2007
                  • Winner Winner x 1
                  • Mar 12, 2008
                    this isn't no-count cap'n. Leave my ham hands alone