Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

If your thinking about getting an SSD get one

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Churma, Dec 13, 2011

1. Mar 20, 2011
    Holy fuck, I never thought a HDD would cause any type of FPS bottleneck but after finally caving in and getting a new SSD (Corsair Force 3 180GB) It has now smashed my FPS. I am one happy camper.

2. Jun 19, 2011
    Congrats on your new SSD. How much is it? Post the link :razz:
    BTW. I enjoy my OCZ SSD.
  3. Aug 2, 2010
    SSD ftw if you can afford one. I've been running a SSD since the SanForce 2 controllers via a G.SKILL Phoenix 64gb. I then upgraded to a Corsair Force 3 120gb. Makes everything run silky smooth.

Similar specs on the comp side Churma as me.
  4. Mar 20, 2011

It just went on sale, oh well I got it for 249.99

5. Jun 23, 2010
    Might get me a Crucial M4 soon :grin: and my 1TB HDD is almost full -__-
  6. Jun 19, 2011
    OMFG only $10 off? What about this one?
    Or its Max IOPS edition?
    Aren't those cheaper and better? Return it if you still can.

BTW I know there's a 60GB difference but who cares? Get another (or 2) HDD for storage or get an external HDD.
  7. Feb 21, 2007
    I just recently got a ssd, and it is quite nice. I have just the OS on there at the moment, and everything runs faster and seems to load faster.
  8. Nov 6, 2011
    The only thing that is sstopping me from getting an ssd is the darn prices of them
  9. Aug 18, 2006
    Make sure you have AHCI enabled too. Some BIOS's like to set IDE mode by default which does not support NCQ and Trim among other optimizations (may require a Windows reinstall)...

I like My Intel 80GB Gen2.
  10. Dec 7, 2010
    I'm happy with my VelociRapter: http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=20
  11. Jan 11, 2011
    LOL what did you downloaded to occupate 1TB? That's kinda' a lot of space... xD
  12. Mar 20, 2011
    I have no more room in my case to fit any additional drives, and after reinstalling and setting up my shit, I am done for the next year. Those you listed are a tad slower according to the specs, than the Corsair Force 3 I purchased. I probably would not see the speed difference though. Who knows what is real and not nowdays, a lot of manufactures fudge numbers and are not exactly on.
  13. Mar 20, 2011
    I agree Harvey, I have two 600GB ones and they fly, but no where near what a SSD can pull off. I wish WD got into the SSD business, I have always liked their drives.
  14. Dec 7, 2010
    Here are the issues I have about SSD drives: Depending on the situation they can be faster but due to the technology they use, if the drives experience frequent writes they can wear out in less than 2 years while the VelociRapter will last at least 10. If you are concerned about losing data for the long term, stay away from SSD. However for the short term performance gain is what you seek then this will satisfy you.

Note: You can reference all types of materials on Flash Memory and their life cycles of typically 100,000 writes before they deteriorate. While a Hard Drive has typical life of 1,000,000 Hours MTBF (Mean-Time Between Failures). This means in theory the hard drive will last 100 years under ideal conditions.
  15. Apr 9, 2007
    If you want to get an SSD wait for the summer at the very least. Never buy electronics at Christmas unless if you want to lose some toes.

However, keep in mind mechanical drives (WD in particular) have had their price rise dramatically due to flooding (This includes the VelociRaptor). Within the last couple months, including the foreseeable future, it's a mistake to buy a drive. If you absolutely have to, buy the cheapest drive you can to get you by and replace it in 6~ months when the market recovers.
  16. Nov 29, 2010
    Do not buy any sort of hdd/sdd at this time unless it's going cheap. The flood in taiwan ramped their prices up dramatically. During the summer the price for a 1tb HDD was $80, now the price has been doubled.
  17. Dec 6, 2011
    Wow, you've just convinced me to get a new SSD for my next build... but yea, the pricing is horrid.
  18. Feb 18, 2011
    I already ordered a 256GB Crucial M4 SSD drive about two days ago and what I plan on doing is removing my OS and Steam from there and put both on the SSD. All this does is makes me anxious to get it lol.
  19. Jun 19, 2011
    That's why you need a PCIe SSD.

Oh well, everything breaks. Look on the bright side, you can always buy a new one that will last another 2 years :smile:
  20. Mar 20, 2011
    Death Killer I have no more open PCIe slots either. I will have to say though PCIe are smoking fast.