Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

I'm building my own desktop. What would you recommend?

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by FallenEclipse, Aug 13, 2011

1. Jul 14, 2011
    Coming up here in a few weeks (maybe months) I will be building a desktop from the ground up.
    I am compiling a list of hardware that would be beneficial to a gaming tower.
    What all would you recommend to have a high performance system?

Edit: This is the CPU I'm thinking of--> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5752143&Sku=A79-1955
    Motherboard--> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=722908&Sku=A455-3201
    Graphics card--> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=292642&Sku=P262-6954

This is a slow working process so any and all input would be appreciated.
  2. Jul 19, 2011
    i wish i had the money to build my own but nice dude
  3. Jul 14, 2011
    Well I don't quite have the funds either but like I said, this is a slow working process so I will be able to make the money and buy the parts in intervals.
  4. Jul 19, 2011
    itll take u awhile im guessing looks pretty expensive for that stuff
  5. Jul 14, 2011
    It is and some of the cheaper stuff would work but when you have multiple games that takes up your drives, it slows down your performance so I'd like a more "top-of-the-line" model.
    If I get these items in moderation then it won't be so bad.
  6. Jul 19, 2011
    if i had 1500$ i would buy an alieware desktop but i dont im spendin my money on a gun
  7. Jul 14, 2011
    Alienware's are nice but they are overpriced. If you know where to look and know what you are doing, you can build a computer for almost $300 - $400 less then the retail price of a tower.
  8. Oct 27, 2010
    Looks good thus far. I was thinking of buying that GPU as well.

Since you have that on board RAID I would throw a couple of SSD's in RAID 0 as the boot drive. I just put two Crucial M4 64gs in mine (~$220 for the set); works out to about 95gb i think; enough for windows and counter strike at lease :razz:. You'll have plenty of CPU power for that and the performance increase you'll get will be substantial. Throw a couple of 2tb WD (~$180 for a set) drives in RAID 1 for storage and you'll be set
  9. Jul 14, 2011
    Thank you. Do you have any links for these items so I can compare with others? I just wanna make this very thorough before doing anything.
  10. Oct 27, 2010
    Toms Hardware review of best SSD for the price. <-- This site in general has a lot of helpful information (very professional)
    Crucial M4 64gb <-- It only took 9 min for windows to install with these in RAID 0 (and that's on SATA 3gb/s, you have 6gb/s)
    WD Caviar Green 2tb <--RAID 1 is not very demanding and will protect you from data loss.

Another thing about SSD's, the preformance increase from a low-end SSD is to a high-end SSD is only about 3%. A low end SSD is on average 85% faster then a traditional HDD.
  11. Jul 14, 2011
    This I am aware of, but anyway, thank you for the links.
  12. Jul 14, 2011
    I couldn't help but notice that this one had poor customer reviews. Seems as though after a few months it fails.
  13. Jun 23, 2010
    Give me a budget and what your going to use it for.
  14. Jul 14, 2011
    The budget is not an issue but should be at least in a decent price range. I'd have to say somewhere from $1000 to maybe $1200. This will vary.
    Mainly it will be a gaming computer while my laptop will be my internet browser.
  15. Jan 10, 2009
    here is my build that i am going to get started on here soon. some minor changes though still debating on hdd/ssd, mobo and gpu. just have what i have on there as a placeholder so i can get an idea on price.
  16. Jun 10, 2011
    I have 6gb of ddr3 triple channel ram and a raptor gaming 150gb hdd i would sell ya for cheap if your interested. Two things you could save money on, you dont NEED an SSD. It only helps with boot time and is money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Youll need:

Case
    Motherboard
    Processor
    Ram
    DVDrom
    Graphics Card
    Hard Drive
    Any extra fans the case may not come with, i also suggest fan filters.
    Possibly a third party Heat sink for the processor
    Windows 7 64bit OEM (newegg for 90 bucks)
    Mouse and Keyboard
    Monitor with a good low MS rate
    Speakers or Gaming Headset

Just all the little things you may forget in purchasing, if you have any questions ill try to help you the best i can :smile: However im an Intel / Nvidia guy :smile:
  17. Oct 27, 2010
    I have the 1tb ones, they're going on their third year now.

It also helps with page files, program load times, and any time windows is accessed.
    As for money being better spent elsewhere... I think the HDD/SSD is a pretty good place to spend money. It will be the biggest influence on performance.
    The GPU he has picked out will be great for a couple of years a least.

I just got that case (the blue one, it actually looks really nice with the fan LEDs). The HDD suspension system is... a little stupid; but I still like it. Also just to warn you, that Air filter aint going to do shit on that case; It's pretty much just mesh.

As for that PSU, If it were me I would get one with an 80 PLUS GOLD rating as apposed to BRONZE(Something like this or one with less lights; I don't like lights :razz:). The more efficent ones will last longer an save you electricity money.
  18. Jun 10, 2011
    but only helps gaming with load times. if its a gaming computer only he can save a hundred bucks going with a raptor drive and not see much of a difference with gaming.
  19. Nov 29, 2010
    Not bad of a choice, however if you're going for processor, Intel is the way to go.