Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

I'm grumpy. Car = $$$$

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Mer, Oct 24, 2007

1. Jan 11, 2007
    So I dented/scratched my car door the other day. I am grumpy about that, because the next week was solid rain, but I had no opportunity to take it in for repairs. There are already rust spots (in *one* week!) This car is new, and I am very mad at myself about the damage (it's a 2006 model).

Anyway, I go to get an estimate for repairs, unhappy about it, but willing to take care of it before the rust becomes an issue. The autobody guy looks at it for ~5 or 10 minutes and goes to print out an estimate. I wait for the bad news trying to figure out the maximum I would be willing to pay before I say no, thank-you. I had figured it would be around $600 - $800 until I talked to my dad. He saw it and thought the repairs would be around $1,200. Ugh! A thousand dollars!!! I am settling into the gloomy mood of accepting my fate. I can swallow a sudden $1,000 expense.

As I am mulling over my predicament, the auto-body guy finishes up his tally and calls me over. He starts talking to me, interjecting the phrase, "...it's going to be expensive..." in the middle of *every* sentence. That is not good. He is probably preparing me for a $1,400 to $1,600 expense. Finally he gets to the price...

$2300

WTF????

That is *Double* my worst-case scenario! I say thank-you for the estimate and drive away. I get to the office and check my insurance statement. I am currently sitting with a 5% discount over the base insurance rate. If I make an insurance claim, I will only pay my deductible (I think it's $500) and will probably get dropped back to the base rate. So I will be paying 5% more per year for the next little while. It adds up over time, but is still worth-while.

I find the "claims" information on my insurance and read the bad news. If I make an insurance claim, then I will only have to pay my deductible (~$500) as I originally thought... **BUT** my insurance premiums will go from a 5% discount to a 55% surcharge on the base rate (not back to a base rate). That translates to a roughly $1,800 per year increase in my insurance costs.

So I can either

a) pay $2300 now and have no effect on my my insurance rates
    b) pay $500 now and pay an extra $1,800 per year for the next 9 or so years
    c) do no repairs and let my vehicle rust away
    d) go to another auto-body shop and get another estimate

It's an obvious no-brainer choice. I will go to another auto-body shop and get another estimate... Now that the Canadian dollar is above par with the US dollar, I should probably try getting an estimate south of the border...

It feels good to vent. My warning to all the younger members of the forums/server: cars are ***EXPENSIVE***. Once you factor in the cost of the vehicle, fuel costs, upkeep costs, insurance costs (even my claims-free insurance was expensive), it's a boatload of money. There's no need to compound it by adding some stupid collision repair costs to the whole "ball of wax". When you get a car, **treat it with respect**. You will have a lot more money tied up in that thing than you first expect.

/rant
  2. Dec 30, 2006
    Oh i know what you mean I had to replace my tires it was 300 dollars. Than the airconditioning was 600 and than i have to get another repair that will probably be another couple hundred. Cars are not cheap!!!! Dont forget the 115 dollars a month for insurance and 130 dollar a month car payment. Expensive

Get another estimate. Dont you dare pay that much.
  3. Apr 9, 2007
    Ive found Mackenzie auto repair to be less then most other places. (my god damn clutch keeps on failing.)
  4. Feb 21, 2007
    thats not right. insurance companies should not charge more when you make a claim (unless u wrecked ur car). get another insurance co?
  5. Apr 9, 2007
  6. Jan 11, 2007
    It's government controlled in this province. ... and I agree: it's not right.

...but with the government in control of the insurance, it's about what I would expect.
  7. Jan 11, 2007

I will check them out.
  8. Jun 29, 2007
  9. Apr 9, 2007
    =O i would of never known, thanks for enlightening us! :thumbsup:

Anyways......

Mer just foot the bill but look around first don't go with BCAA/your insurance company they will charge you much more.
  10. Jan 11, 2007
    Curse you Rain and your rust-inducing powers! :razz: :starwars:
  11. Oct 22, 2007
    Ouch, after hearing about that i would def be looking and getting a bunch of estimates. I think the guy was trying to rape you with a sand paper condom. But good luck man
  12. Feb 3, 2007
    Thats sucks Mer.. Just look around before you get it done over there.. Im sure you might be able to find at least just a few 100's cheaper ^^
  13. Jan 11, 2007

I've gone to 4 places now. The cheapest place was ~$2,100 and the most expensive was ~$2,600. I will be going to the US this weekend to check the prices across the border, but it looks like I will have to just buckle down and bite the bullet.

I can afford to fork over $2,000 in car repairs... I just don't want to.

Of course... ""You can't always get what you wa-ant"
  14. Dec 30, 2006
    I wish i could afford 2000 in car repairs!