Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Installing a 580GTX

Discussion in Help Desk started by NightFury, Jul 26, 2011

1. Nov 2, 2010
    Ok so I have gotten sick with my system, sold everything and bought something new from Australia.. Now I have everything in there, but my SLi GTX580... How do I install this bad-boy? (Posting from my laptop).
  2. Aug 18, 2006
    I hope you have 2 PCIe slots and a compliant SLi motherboard.. Presuming so, you just stick the two card in the PCIe slots going top to bottom like you would with any other video card/expansion card. Plug in the PCIe power cables, and taadaa.
  3. Jun 23, 2010
    Like Ray said. Make sure your board is SLi compatible or else you have to 'hack' your board so you can SLi on a AMD motherboard.

It would help me if you post your system specs lol.
  4. Mar 22, 2011
    The way you worded your post makes me think you only have one card and you just thought SLi was part of the name. SLi is the technology to add another card and use both of them for added performance. Assuming you have one card, take off the expansion slot cover (metal part) from the back of case, make sure the little tab is up on the expansion slot (when you push the card into the slot it will push the tab down with it) then connect the power cables to the top. I assume the 580 uses both a 6 and 8 pin connector, if your PSU doesn't have them standard the card probably came with a rail attachment.
  5. Feb 21, 2007
    NO! Dont post your specs, be as vague as possible and let us guess :rolleyes:
  6. Jun 23, 2010
    LOL I hate you Rets :razz: Well at least give me your motherboard model.
  7. Aug 18, 2006
    And power supply. 2 GTX 580's is not for the faint of heart.
  8. Oct 22, 2007
    Actually you don't just have to plug it into the top of a pcie and then done. I would actually make sure it is in a x16 over a x8 due to the gains. Also i thought you went with a 590 so you would of had 2 580's in one, but not as powerful as 2 of them due to the down clock of the card (cards on top of each other like that is like a mini heater from hell).

But yeah you need to say what mother board you have ex. asus rampage extreme III (the rest of that we can newegg/google)
    Power supply is important in info as ray said, because i don't think anything lower than a 1000watt psu would handle it. Hell you would need your cpu overclocked otherwise that will bottle neck you with cards like that.

Last thing is google how to do these things, honestly a little reading would help you out far more than being spoon feed. But here i will do it anyhow.

Those red slots on the bottom of the pic are what everyone is talkin about with being pcie. They can be either x16 or x8 and are faster if in the x16 slot for bandwidth. (just think of it as having more lanes on a highway to be able to move traffic, x8 has less lanes so you can move more on a x16).

Now what they are talkin about on the case is this.
    Do you see in the case in the back of it where those green tab things are? You will have to remove 1 or 2 of those to be able to slide the card into that pcie slot and put the screw that was holding that slot cover back in to support the card in your computer. Simple as that...

Forgot to mention the cards will be a 6pin and 8pin as someone stated, that is just how it is gonna be.
  9. May 16, 2011
    make sure you hook up the sli bridge. And have a powerful enough PSU like everyone else is saying.
  10. Jun 23, 2010
    2x 580 shouldn't draw more then 700W SLI. Like rets said, SLI/xFire is not for the faint heart. Make sure you have enough power to supply the system. Also make sure your case have enough room to fit those two GPU in.
  11. Oct 22, 2007
    You throw everything on top of that with the cpu though and your lookin at one stressed psu though skip. If everything is maxed out of course, which would be rare but still not much head room left.