Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Installing windows 7 from USB - not going according of plan (SOLVED)

Discussion in Technical Support started by Luffaren, Dec 4, 2013

1. Feb 24, 2011
    Hello fellas, i would like to ask you cumpooter peeple about a serious issue i'm currently having.
    Here's my situation:

- I'll be applying some hardware upgrades on my trusty steed, over at my local PC shop, hallelujah!
    - They'll do the main work for me, because i suppose i'm one of those "plebs" you youngsters have been speaking so much of recently, who can't do his own dirtywork.
    - They'll clean my entire HDD while at it, and they won't re-install the OS. I'll have to do that on my own.
    - Fret not though, i still got my windows 7 ISO file on my USB (which i used back in my school days to install win7 on the very same computer without any issues)
    - I stick in my long, erect USB into that dirty slot and boot it up. (changed my BIOS startup priority)
    - Works neat, i get to the install screen, select some things and..
    - ...waht is des?

Photo 2013-12-04 17 20 42
    Odd, i guess i'll just have to browse through my options and see what i have..?

Photo 2013-12-04 17 22 04
    Alrighty! LUFFAREN(F: ) is my USB which has all the win7 files on it, let's select that!

Photo 2013-12-04 17 22 15
    Oh.. what?

Photo 2013-12-04 17 22 39
    Let's check inside.. everything seems in order in there. But what about this Boot(X: ) thing? That might be it!

Photo 2013-12-04 17 22 45
    No clue what this is really, but i'll try it.

"NOPE!"
    Alright then.. let's keep trying with all the other things/drives.

"NOPE"!

Help a fellow "pleb" in need! I could probably just install Windows XP from my CD, but i really want/need Windows 7!
    I've also tried subfolders and sub-sub folders etc, i'm not sure what i'm doing anymore..
    Weird thing is, i installed it without any issues back in the day.
    I would love you long time if you fellas could help me out, i'll be turning in my PC soon-ish.

Halp
  2. Mar 20, 2012
    The friend also tried it with USB. He didnt find a software solution for it though...He used his external hdd and then it worked.
    So I blame the USB stick which u already used back in your old school days...but no guarantees ^^
  3. Feb 27, 2012

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/14831-63-windows-driver-install#.

Lots of people said that worked for them in that thread.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • May 31, 2012
      • Apr 9, 2007

Thank you for contacting the internet. You didn't use the really dumb Windows DVD to USB Microsoft provided converter did you? That product is pretty trashy, and typically never works properly. I believe for Windows 7 you can just dd newer images to a USB drive and it should boot the installer. Alternatively, if that fails, I use UltraISO and make a bootable image that way. I haven't encountered this clownery on any of my various machines with a variety of images. If you require an image, let me know.
      • Feb 24, 2011
        I just drove back home with the upgraded PC, plugged it in and started the installer up, yet the problem still persists..
        Thank you for this Tony, but i'm afraid it still doesn't work for me. I've pretty much raped my PC in all available USB-slots with my long, trusty stick without any results. Heck, you could even call it statutory rape in a.. technical way, since my PC is 5-6 years old now. <pun-meister Mcgee is in town babey!>

Btw @Kyle, i used the same .ISO file which i installed win7 with, back in the older days (without any issues from what i can recall)
        I didn't use any Windows-hoopajoop-USB-wizard either. Also, if i get to the actual installer screen from the USB-boot stick, wouldn't that mean that the USB itself should work properly?

I attempted to install windows XP from my old disc, but it blue screens on me during/after loading the disc content.
        Nothing wants to work right now for some reason, i'm in need of help right now!
        I beg of you, peeples and poopels of plugfest! I'm about to go cry in a corner soon!
        :snowman:
      • Feb 24, 2011
        Got home, installed imgburn and burned the .ISO image onto the disc.
        Booted from the CD-drive, got to the installer screen.
        Clicked on "install now"..

[IMG]

Don't even! why!?
        I'm extraordinarily butthurt, and my jimmies are beyond rustling right now!
        Could it be that the .ISO would be broken/bad? I don't know what to believe anymore..

Did you have any win7 .ISO's @Kyle?
        If so, i'd be super glad if you could provide a link!
      • Jul 17, 2012
        Can try using http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ if you wish to continue down the road of using a usb stick, could be a bad image that was used to create the bootable usb and dvd-rw's. So hopefully with a new image there shall be no issues, if you still run across the same thing, get the latest driver for your sata devices on your motherboard, and if it asks for drivers to install the os onto the hdd, point it to that location.
      • Feb 24, 2011
        I would just like to chip in one final bump with the solution for my problem.
        It was a bad .ISO file from the start. (which is kinda weird because i used the very same .ISO file before. Could it have been that i moved it over a few times between computers?)
        I got a neat link from @sajak in plaguechat which lead me to a bunch of .ISO's. (legit/legal)

Thanks to everyone for your help, and sorry for wasting your time.
        • Like Like x 3
        • Nov 11, 2011
          Right on Luff! Glad you got it working and I could be of some help. Enjoy! ^.^
        • Feb 3, 2012
        • Jul 8, 2012
          I was following this. Good job sir. At least now you know what to do if it happens again. :razz:

Would you mine providing the link? I'm thinking about installing W7 again.
        • Feb 24, 2011
        • Nov 11, 2011
          I knew something was wrong when he told me that he was getting the same errors from two different methods I told him. Figured his ISO was corrupt and gave him a link for the official ISOs. One thing I resent from these downloads is that they don't give you an MD5 checksum/hash to verify that the download didn't get corrupt. It sucks especially when you're downloading 3GB+ files on a slow internet connection and then have this issue. Just glad he had the patience to download it and make it work. :soldier:
        • Jul 8, 2012
          I wondered about the iso. After a while you'd have to download updates anyway lol.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk