Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Intel Processors

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Nexus, Jan 3, 2018

1. Jul 8, 2016
    For those who havent heard the news, Intel identified two security flaws affecting most of their processors since 1995. Named Meltdown and Spectre, the flaws make it possible to see processes being run by the CPU, meaning that it may be possible to steal data from users. Intel has been very hush-hush on the specifics. Microsoft released a fix but it may slow the processor by as much as 30%. Hopefully, the actual impact is minimal and won't affect our players much. AMD has reported that their processors are unaffected because of the different architecture. It might prove to be a boost for AMD.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Jan 1, 2018
      Sucks to be me.
    • Jul 8, 2016
      AMD Master Race FTW.
    • Jun 17, 2014
      This seems very similar to what Apple has been doing to every iPhone since Generation 1 came out. Throttle the fuck out of the device right before the next generation comes out to influence feeling the "need" to upgrade.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Apr 9, 2012
        The day I believe that any information run through electronics cannot be stolen in any imaginable way, I will recreate earth as God in person, okay?
      • Feb 6, 2017
        Processor flaws is pretty much my last priority when it comes to privacy and keeping busybodies out of my shit (yeah that means you CSIS jackasses).

Microsoft can keep their shit update and shove it right up, as usual.
        Mr.Colonel.X, Jan 4, 2018 Last edited by Mr.Colonel.X, Jan 4, 2018
      • Aug 21, 2017
        Affects all processors, however, AMD won't see much of a performance hit due to the different architecture.

Intel performance hits will be anywhere from 0% - 30% depending on the specific processor architectures. Looks like it will mainly affect windows machines though, and all types of virtualization.
      • Jan 21, 2011
        Not the same at all. Every Intel server processor released in the last 8 ish years will perform worse after the patch goes live.
      • Mar 20, 2011
        Patched and I see no difference. Ho Hum...
      • Aug 21, 2017
        So after reading more into it... it's only going to affect things that require full load. Or sequential processing. So transcoding. encoding. rendering. virtualization. database actions. RIP intel.
      • Apr 28, 2013
        Right when I just built my pc using an i5 8600k.
      • Mar 26, 2009
        This is not how meltdown and spectre work. userland applications can already see other running processes using normal OS calls.

Meltdown, the worst of the two exploits, is a breakout attack. It allows code to escape outside of a virtualized environment by reading stale L1 cache contents to read the OS kernel memory space, and anything currently being run through memory. This one primarily affects Intel processors.

Spectre is a branch prediction attack in the pipeline which exploits the fact that Most modern CPUs do something called speculative instruction execution to increase IPC. The CPU is always trying to predict what instructions need to be executed that might be requested to keep the CPU busy. Many times this executed data is not needed and thrown away, which can be read by malicious code for nefarious purposes.

Intel has had speculative execution as a feature in their CPUs since the Pentium Pro in 1995, so theoretically their processors for the last 23 years are affected.

I think you missed the part where these exploits are not completely fixable in software, no amount of patching will make them go away completely.

But if you have an Intel Core 2 Duo or newer CPU, your box can already be considered owned. Both the CPU and the chipset have a feature called IME (Intel Management Engine), which is a self contained system on a chip integrated into both. It has its own instruction set, firmware and MAC address to make it addressable on the network. It's essentially a walled fortress with no publicly available documentation on how it works internally and it's impossible to disable, it's even running when you have your system powered off. Not installing the OS driver doesn't make it go away either, it still has access to the lowest levels of system hardware.

This makes meltdown and spectre look like adware in comparison. There are known IME exploits that allow silent rootkit installation in the firmware, which can be completely undetected.
        • Winner Winner x 2
          GiGaBiTe, Jan 10, 2018 Last edited by GiGaBiTe, Jan 10, 2018
        • Jul 8, 2016