Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Intel Vs. AMD

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by brownieapple, Jun 2, 2009

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 10, 2009
  2. Jul 14, 2008
    ummmm.....hi :lol: :lol:
  3. Nov 18, 2008
    Intel is a higher quality product.
  4. Jun 7, 2008
    AMD has a better looking sticker than intel. Intel's sticker reminds me of those crappy ass old computers that took 20 mins to start up
  5. Sep 21, 2008
    havent used AMD yet. I am not going to bother trying to use a different product when my Intel hardware works fine.
  6. Feb 21, 2007
    currently intel has the latest gen cpus, however most people currently dont need 3 ghz quad cpus. So amd has good budget cpus.
  7. May 31, 2009
    Intel and amd go back and forth with better products..its almost impossible to keep one better than the other, cause they are constantly coming out with faster processors. intel processors arnt generally used for game, were as amd is. its kind of like nvidia and ati, both are really good and constantly making better cards.
  8. Aug 18, 2006
    Intel's are more optimized for mathematical operations when compared to AMD. Intel actually is the better gaming processor these days.
  9. May 27, 2008
    Intel > AMD.
  10. Mar 15, 2008
    Amd>Intel if you want cheap AFFORDABLE performance that is well worth it quad cores for like $100 they hold up and last who cares if they arent the i7 and SUPER OMFG AMAZING the people that need that are people with workstations no games take up 100% of a i7 processor.
  11. Dec 17, 2007
    With the introduction of AMD's Phenom II cpus, they have finally caught up to Core 2 and Core 2 Quad's level of performance. Combined with the newAM3 socket and DDR3 support, the new Phenoms, especially the 955 and 965 Black Editions, are quite nice processors. Granted they still use a dual channel memory controller, so they have inherently less memory bandwidth capability than Intel's i7 triple channel cpu's, but they are quite zippy nonetheless. With good cooling, people are able to achieve good overclocks in the 3.6 to 4.0Ghz range on the new Phenoms.

Intel currently has the performance crown with their i7 series Nehalem cpus. With a triple channel DDR3 memory controller on die, i7's memory bandwidth just simply cannot be matched at this time. Combine that along with their notorious overclocking ability to 4.0Ghz+ and you have a real beast on your hands.

I would be amiss if I didn't mention that both the Phenom and i7 ar both 45nm parts, so as far as process technology, AMD and Intel are on the same level there. The larger L3 cache on i7's help tremendously, as well as their larger L1 cache with branch prediction logic when running intensive calculations. AMD's Phenoms tackle this in a bit different way with their shared L3 cache amongst all 4 cores. Both cpu's error correction, power management features, and feature set are very robust. However, AMD has the lead when it comes to power management features, as more workstations use AMD's Opteron cpu's more than Intel's expensive Itanium and Xeon cpus.

When you factor price per performance into it, its no contest. AMD wins hands down. Let me throw this out there:

AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition - $189
    a good Asus motherboard with the 790FX chipset, - $179
    4GB DDR3 1600 RAM - $140
    ATI Radeon 4890HD - $205

Total - $713

Now on the intel side...

i7 920 cpu - $285
    Asus P6T motherboard - $234
    6GB DDR3 1600 - $180
    Ati Raedon 4890HD - $205

total - $904

Thats is a $191 difference. Now I didn't include Hard Drives, heatsinks, sound card, etc. Just the base components. $191 dollars. Thats just about enough to buy ANOTHER 4890HD for an AMD setup to run in crossfire! Think about that for a minute. So while performance certainly belongs to intel, it can not match the price/performance of a good AMD setup.
  12. Apr 13, 2011
    Try 2600k vs.1100t ha ha! Intel i love you my baby. You may cost a little more at times but your quality and speed trumps all.
  13. Dec 7, 2010
    If all your concern about is technology and not price, Intel wins hands down.

Nothing can touch the 2nd generation i7 6 core processors atm. AMD is still lagging significantly behind intel in performance.

There used to be a time where AMD was the price/performance leader, but no longer. If you are on a budget, AMD is a good option. If you want the best performance possible then only Intel will do.
  14. Jun 4, 2006
    Nice necro.
  15. Mar 25, 2011
    Whats with all the bumping today?
  16. Feb 18, 2011
    AMD generaly goes for cheaper processers that work great.

Intel is a hell of a lot better in processing in general, but its a lot more expensive.

IMO, Intel.
  17. Jun 29, 2007
    AMD any day of the week mobile and PC!
  18. Feb 13, 2011
    There's no challenge. I guess if you're on a budget you should get AMD, but an i5 can still beat AMD's top cpu
    Look at AMD's best processor, 1100T versus the i5 2500k
    Maybe when Bulldozer comes out they might be able to catch up with Intel
  19. Nov 29, 2010
    lHoly Fucking necrosis post
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.