Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

iPad 3 vs Asus Infinity vs Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by zenzr, Oct 16, 2012

1. Jul 8, 2012

http://www.asus.com/Tablet/Transformer_Pad/ASUS_Transformer_Pad_Infinity_TF700T/

http://www.samsung.com/us/2012-galaxy-note-wifi/

i'm getting a tablet for my birthday, and although i'm a big Windows person, I happen to like both iOS and Android for tablets. Can I get opinions/advice as to which of these or perhaps other ones you think would be good for a college setting? Mostly for note taking and classwork related things. But of course I like to play games and basically a netbook or smaller laptop replacement as well. Not sure if this is in the correct section so move it please if it's needed. Thanks!
  2. Nov 11, 2011
    I've had all three and also the Xoom. My favourites are the iPad (JB ofc) and the Note. But for some reason the Note feels better? I'd recommend it.
  3. May 14, 2011
    I'll put it like this. A tablet is a holiday gadget unless you want to carry it around for the whole time. And even for that I recommend a 7" tablet. I expected I would be using my tablet the whole time but a 10.1" tablet is just too big to use on the subway for example and its an expensive piece of kit so you are not likely to want to risk damaging it. In UK you only see a guy with a tablet out on the train once a week or even less, its just not practical. Its more of a computer replacement at home but it just isn't as good.

What I recommend is you either get the Nexus 7 tablet OR wait until some win 8 tablets get released.
  4. Jul 8, 2012
    I jb it of course. It's on 6 right now to play with siri, but i think i'm going to restore it to jb it again. but i've always liked iPod Touches and mine lasted just over 3 years. i'm attracted to the note for the s pen (obviously, it looks fairly good for note taking) and the infinity for the extra battery life and also the keyboard/touchpad (again good for notes/classwork). i'm just not sure what to pick. the iPad is nice but since I feel i'm quite tech savy I know that Android offers a lot more customization and just over all better specs.

edit: I will be taking it to all my college classes, as most of the professors here have no problem with it. and 10" is just perfect to put in my backpac (with a case) for easy note taking and use all over campus. We have wifi in all of our buildings so that isn't an issue either.
  5. May 14, 2011

Carry around a spare battery or simply when you root it, underclock the cpu.

It does however android tablets are glorified phones imo. There are no extra feature you cant get on your phone on them. (Screen size aside)

Writing on an electronic device is not comfortable at all, let me tell you that right now. Unless you plan to type which is too not comfortable unless you have a physical keyboard attachment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Why not just buy a net book for note taking. You CANNOT write on an electronic device. If you would like to know why. Pick up a piece of plastic and try to write on something glass. Let me remind you that tablets are curved at the back so apply too much pressure and they will start to turn to that side.

For that reason, if you insist on a tablet pick a transformer and use the physical keyboard.
  6. Feb 14, 2012
    I owned a Tab and found the screen quality considerably less than the iPad3's.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
  7. Aug 18, 2006
    With that logic, all tablets are large, glorified phones.

...Which to be honest, isn't far off.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Jul 8, 2012
      Right now I have http://cdn.gottabemobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Kensington-KeyFolio-Pro-2-Review-HERO.jpg for my ipad 3. i will get a keyboard for whatever I choose regardless for note taking most likely. I actually like it as the keyboard is full size. I really didn't mind typing on the iPad's on screen keyboard in landscape it seemed fairly responsive too. I'm not a big supporter of netbooks, as that's all you can really do is just word and such. The few thati've used I just didn't like. Extra screen space would be nice, and as I can not currently figure out how to root my phone so a rooted tablet would be nice.
      Post Merged, Oct 16, 2012
      True, but I still see them as better than a netbook. If I was going to get a computer i'd just get a cheaper laptop.
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Size doesn't matter to me... a tablet will never replace a desktop/laptop. A tablet for me is a portable device to keep me entertained and give me access to tools I might not have when day to day travels don't allow me to have access to an actual computer. 10 inches to me isn't large and the iPad isn't either. But this is solely an opinion, not a fact. Everyone has a different one. And large glorified phones? No shit. lol. I love that my tablet can allow me to make calls xD
    • May 14, 2011

May seem obvious but try these guys: http://forum.xda-developers.com/

You can't even have word on a tablet. (Just a warning, its just text editors OR a note taking app and by note they mean <20 words). Nothing more than the apps you get on your phone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you seem determined I'll give up try to prevent you wasting your money buying a tablet.

nb.

That's what she.......
    • Jul 8, 2012
      Oh, I can give you more than 10 inches. :wink:
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
      • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
      • May 14, 2011

[IMG]
      • Aug 18, 2006
        • Funny Funny x 2
        • Dec 19, 2008
          Zenzr just get all three. Then your troubles will go away.
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Jul 8, 2012
            I wish. but I seriously need to do some research. lol
          • Dec 6, 2011
            Ask yourself this. Do you REALLY need a tablet? If so, ask yourself, what do you actually plan on using it for, and can you accomplish the same thing on a laptop or smartphone?
          • Jul 8, 2012
            As I stated above, it's for general use as a laptop substitute. note taking mainly. Can it be effectively used as this? I think so.
          • May 15, 2011
            Play Asphalt 5. Best phone/pad thing game ever. Played it for 2 hours straight. God my neck hurt after that. That's probably the only use for a pad thing. Other than note taking, in which, just get a notepad. Pen and paper is faster than dick typing. (Fucking touch screens. You're finger is like a floppy cock to those things, always missing the key points.)

But uh, if you want to feel rich and make all your friends jealous then sure go for it. Enlarge your ego!

Aside from hating pad things for no reason, get one that looks nice. They're all basically the same thing. You just have to try them in stores and figure out which one you like better, and will suit you. Cause really they all do the same thing in the end.
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Aug 2, 2010

Yes I've owned the iPad and the Transformer Prime. I've given them to my sisters.
              Post Merged, Oct 16, 2012
              The S Pen on the Note 10.1 is different from a touchscreen phone pen you can just buy. The Note and Note 10.1 use Wacom tablet technology. True story yo.