Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Is AntiVirus needed, if so what to use?

Discussion in Software Sanctuary started by Zenzr, Sep 19, 2015

1. Jul 8, 2012
    So long story short I've become pretty interested in the AV scene. I was one of those "Windows Defender is good enough" people. But I have become pretty interested if learning if third party software is any better than what's on by default in 10.

I've found some keys that work for BitDefender Total Security and am testing that out.

Is it worth it to investigate more, or is Windows Defender still good + MBAM Premiun/CCleaner?

Also, for my own curiosity is there a good portable program that would work well with say ComboFix or ADWCleaner or even MBAM that would be better to use? I like having a few different tools on my flash drive I use for both work and the odd "oh hey you're a computer IT guy can you fix my 432523452345 virus from @Benderius laptop?"
  2. Jul 20, 2012
    If you get virus on your computer that is your own fault. If you are not a gamer then a Linux distro is a good choice.
  3. Jul 8, 2012
    This is a gaming community, and as I am an active admin that isn't helpful.

That neither answers any of the questions I have, nor is it helpful in any way. Please refrain from posting if you are going to be unhelpful. I don't mean to be offensive and or rude, but I don't want to have "that" discussion here.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
      Zenzr, Sep 20, 2015 Last edited by Zenzr, Sep 20, 2015
    • Oct 24, 2013
      I've had problems in the past especially if I go exploring websites in different languages or browsing image boards or looking for music so I had always used free stuff in the past and even my professors all just use that simple stuff.
      I on the other hand don't mind just shelling out 50$ every year for a new edition of norton coverage but I get a pretty sweet program for it.
      It's kind of a luxury but I never ever have to worry about pop ups or virus when going anywhere. On top of that I've got adblocker on firefox which stops me from seeing ads or lets me weed out ads that look like links for a real website, particularly when downloading music from foreign sites.
    • Jun 11, 2012
      I still say Outpost Firewall is still great.

For Portable stuff, you could get Portable Apps. CCleaner and scanners are probably the great ones.

I use no security for the past couple of years...
    • Feb 21, 2007
      No one AV is ever gonna catch everything. However, every couple of years or so I would google (best antivirus of xxxx year) and read a few different review websites. Then I would torrent a copy of w/e AV was doing the best. I did this for a number of years while I was poor in college and medical school. Typically Kapersky and NOD32 were the top scoring AV. I've also used ZoneAlarm AV and FW. However, for the past handful of years I've just been going with the free Avast. It usually scores average, and its free. I think its good enough for the average Joe. Might not be as good for those people visiting shady websites, downloading shady versions or programs, etc. However, its pretty much maintenance free.

Certainly, if I ever have suspicion about a single file (someone is giving me or something), then I have a visit to: https://www.virustotal.com/
      • Like Like x 1
      • Aug 7, 2012
        NoScript + Adblock will pretty much cut your chance of getting a drive-by virus by 99%.
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Mar 10, 2014
          i run with MSE(Microsoft security essentials) and Malwarebytes as a combo one gets what the other doesn't.
        • Jul 20, 2012
          It's true. Just safe browse and don't download "illegal" stuff and you don't get virus, but if you are very afraid of virus on the internet then use a linux distro instead of antivirus.
        • Jul 8, 2012
          Yes I already know this lol. That's not what I asked, or what I want to discuss here. That's not helpful at all either. That's like saying oh you have a problem with Windows? Use OSX. Not trying to be rude here lol so please don't take it that way.
        • Feb 27, 2012
          Avast! and Avira are good if you want free. NOD32 used to be pretty good, i don't know if it still is. I can get you a username/password finder if you don't want to pay for it (message me on steam for it). Bitdefender is also decent. I just use Malwarebytes, and Avast! on my mothers laptop.
          • Like Like x 1
          • Jul 8, 2012
            I've found keys that allow for a year subscription to bitdefender. It seems to be very good. But I have more than one W10 device so I may message you later.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Dec 30, 2006
              Bitdefender has a free one too. I'm about to give it a try coming fro avast. I got really......really.....tired of all the stupid BS popups advertising stupid stuff.
            • Jul 8, 2012
              Most people I asked around my IT department suggested Avast. But I am just against the idea of having pop ups with sound in them. Not that there's anything wrong with the program, but if that's what's on by default then I don't really want to support the company.

Indeed I know it does, but hey free keys are free keys no uh... free downloads or anything either.
            • Dec 30, 2006
              Can you uh.....message me. The free version of bitdefender isn't available for windows 10.
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Winner Winner x 1
              • Jul 8, 2012
                • Funny Funny x 1