Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Is Defragmenting really important?

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by iProbie, Sep 12, 2012

1. Apr 1, 2012
    All these bloody steam game updates are causing Defraggler to freak out with the red cubes all over the screen.
    Defraggler states that the current fragmentation level is 8%.
    then I'm wondering, if defragmenting is really important or should I just pass if the fragmentation is still below a certain level.
  2. Apr 9, 2007
    SSDs: Do not, TRIM instead.
    Linux: Do not.
  3. Jan 21, 2011
    :confused:
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Most SSDs have TRIM and their own trash collection methods. Some do it on the spot while others wait when there is minimum I/O activity. But don't defrag SSDs. And 8% is nothing to fuss over defrag around 20. Or do it now if you think it is affecting you.
    • Feb 14, 2012
      How the fuck do you defragment a Linux file system? O_o
    • Jun 20, 2012

and yes, defrag is imp as Kyled mentioned. I do it every month or so to all the comps.
    • Apr 9, 2007
      ...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

The only point in defragging is to move the majority of smaller files to the inner part of your disk in an effort to minimize seek times. Do SSDs have a rotational disk? :shock: There should be no gain in doing this, and you're only wearing your drive out.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      D=...... You're ruining the life of your SSD. Defragmenting is pointless with an SSD since it's not a spinning drive.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Jan 21, 2011
        • Like Like x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Winner Winner x 1
        • Dec 6, 2011
          You'll regret it when your SSD takes a shit =D
          kermit
          • Like Like x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Jan 21, 2011
            I've had this thing for 2 months tops and defragged it once... I think it'll be alright.
            • Like Like x 1
            • Feb 14, 2012
              • Like Like x 1