Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Is Imgur Pro worth it or should I find another host?

Discussion in Creativity started by Vadleon, Dec 26, 2012

1. Jan 12, 2011
    So today as I was uploading images for the Gaming S&D thread, I got a message up at the top of my Imgur saying that "Only 225 images in your account are visible." It also provided me this handy link to resolve this issue: https://imgur.com/register/upgrade.

So here is the question: Stick with Imgur and pay for additional image capacity or find an alternative?

My alternatives:
    • Trim my existing images the best I can and remain a free user (which will mean typing the sales and being very selective with what I upload).
    • Switch to another image host? (Suggestions and details please) For the record, I really like Imgur for it's convenience, so make a good argument for something else.
    • Upload more directly onto the Forums. (Sorry for the tag @Brian, but what is the upload limit on the Forums? And could a fill bar be added to see our usage?) Edit: Ignore the tag, found it. You're welcome to correct me or provide input, though.
    • Something else?
    As is, I can still use any images that are visible on my Imgur account, but I assume any that were on the end past the 225 limit will be bumped off into invisibility, which means I won't be able to link them in the future (but will possibly remain linked in any existing posts).

I could be clever and make a list of all the various image links in a Word document and save them for whenever, negating the effects of losing visibility, but that feels both a little dishonest and a bit unreliable (in case they do disappear from linked uses).

At least for the time, even if I decide to stick with Imgur, I wouldn't be able to pay with PayPal until I get a low limit credit card (since I don't have one yet). I can try to mitigate the issue until then with image trimming, but this is just another little factor to consider.

So what do yall think?
    • Useful Useful x 1
      Vadleon, Dec 26, 2012 Last edited by Vadleon, Dec 26, 2012
    • May 15, 2011
    • Mar 4, 2012
      People can see your private images in imgur using some website so I would say find a new service.
    • Jan 12, 2011
      I've heard of Dropbox, but really know little of it. Please provide details like upload capacity limits, file size limits, if clients are necessary, etc. I can do some research on something after someone gives me a good reason to look into it.

Edit:
      That's interesting. I was considering privatizing a few images on there, but as of right now they're all public. Technically, people could search around and find my images, but I'm not too concerned about that since having the image link is the easiest way to get to them, and I have almost all the links while others don't. Not the best security, granted, but it's good enough for most of my images.
    • Jun 11, 2012
      Dropbox client is pretty much cloud. It creates a folder on your PC where whatever you put it in, it will upload to their servers. And by default everything is private, you can then choose which files to make it public from the website.
    • Jan 12, 2011
      I haven't really looked into cloud programs much before, but this may be an option. How much access does it have on my computer and how much can I limit it? Also, does it need a connection at all times or does it only switch on when I launch it?
    • May 15, 2011
      Basically it acts like a folder that connects to the internet when you're online. I know you can buy space, but off the bat you get something like 2.5 GB free, and can unlock 6-ish GB by recommending friends and stuff. So it's only limited by how much you put into it. I use it for all my pictures and file sharing, like maps or something for the forums.
    • Jun 11, 2012
      As said you can add or delete anything you want in that folder and the access is limited to that folder, thus the server won't crawl around your system. If you have not connectiviy, it will wait till your connected and sync up with the server.

Other great features I used to use. Dropbox functions as a user friendly and web supported version control (read SVN or Git/GitHub) meaning that if you are down the line and lost a file, corrupt it, or you want to revert to a early version of a file on you dropbox folder, you can go to the website and retrieve the file from a earlier date.
    • Jan 12, 2011
      That's a pretty generous amount of space to offer free to people. What's the catch? Do they lay claim to anything you upload like Games for Windows Live, Facebook, or maybe others? (Not that I'd consider them image hosts, but I do read Terms before I use them.)

Interesting.
    • May 15, 2011
      None that I've seen. No, they don't 'lay claim' to anything. They just let you transfer stuff.

Oh ya, another feature is to share folders between computers. I have a DropBox family folder, that syncs all files to my two sisters, mother, fathers, grandmothers and my personal computer, so we can share files without having to use a USB stick, nor do we even have to go to each others houses or link eachother over Facebook, since everything is uploaded to their computer, which will alert them with a pop up.
    • Jun 18, 2012
      I got dropbox on my laptop and didn't use it yet cause there is no need so far, next month however I might have too, so out of curiousity I read the terms and I didn't see any ''you upload, we sell'' lines. However I ain't english so it'd be good for you to go over them again.

Also as for the free space. You start of with 2,5 GB then for every friend you invite which downloads Dropbox you get an additional 500MB up to 16 GB (so 27 friends). Besides that there are some 125MB awards for giving feedback/ linking it to FB and such.

Oh btw I'm wondering after you bringing up the terms which hasn't to do with Dropbox really. If I for example use dropbox on my PC right now, while I'm on the PF forums, FB and amazon or any other product seller. With all accounts either having the same or different passwords. Is it possible for any of these sites to get onto any other site I've visited in the past or read on which other site I am? Or even read any other personal information directly from my PC. (Question is cause I mainly use 1 e-mail account and I remember that PF thread in which PF managment did some searching on some criminal/abuser or w/e I don't even want to think about and put it on the site and IDK if PF is for example allowed to put private information/log ins into search engines or w/e. OH btw I ain't a criminal lol.)
    • Jan 12, 2011
      I suppose I'll research later if they encrypt stuff I upload and stick it in a safe place for the cloud.
      Sync'ing would be useful whenever I overhaul and start using my desktop again. Then I could keep a few archives in order, although I personally still feel a bit reserved about putting anything personal on there (important picture directories, receipts, etc.).

Dropbox is sounding good, but what other alternatives do people recommend as an image host? I've heard Flickr might be a possibility, but I haven't researched it yet. Has anyone here used it?

Edit:
      Places like pF, FB, and whoever keep track of incoming IPs and any other information provided to them (email, city, etc.). Unless you give them your passwords to things, that shouldn't be much of a concern. I would, however, suggest that you 1) make unique passwords for different sites, 2) don't save your passwords in your browser (make a notebook somewhere in your room for that), and 3) only sign on with places that you trust. It also doesn't hurt to occasionally clear out your saved cookies on your browser and do computer scans. It's all part of keeping you and your computer secure.
    • Aug 1, 2011
      Use Dropbox or Box. I highly recommend either or both.
    • May 14, 2011
      No they do not encrypt stuff. From reviews I have hear drop box is in no way secure storage. Its just storage.
    • May 14, 2011
      I don't like them. The site layout was never appealing to me although I did use them before I found imgur. @Vadleon cant you just make a second account on a second browser on your pc for imgur. Sure your album will be split between the two accounts but it will be free.
    • Jun 4, 2006
      It's been lowered to 100MB or something. We only have so much space so the less attachments uploaded the better really. If I were you I'd just use dropbox.
    • Jan 12, 2011
      I've also seen/heard a bit about them. I won't judge them (much) based on the numerous times I've seen their bandwidth crap out on image sharing, but what can you tell me about it?

I could, possibly, but how easily could they figure out I'm using two accounts? I'm not really up for making new emails to have more pictures, since I'd probably want to throw them a bone and do things the right way by paying. Not really sure about it... :struggle:

Even at 100MB, I'd be able to move off a pretty large number of images from Imgur and manage things a little easier there. For instance, the ~40(?) images I'm using in the Gaming S&D thread for the current holiday sales only total ~12.5MB -- well within the limit. Other things like thread headers and my sig could also come on here, and those aren't large either. Whenever I get around to uploading DragonCon pics though, I'll need to look into more options I guess.

In any case, could we please get a little capacity bar/count on our 'Attachments' page to see how we're doing with space on the Forums? I don't remember if we had a little graphic for it on the old site, but I'm pretty sure there used to be a counter so we could tell how close we were to the old (and ridiculously low) limit. Good thing we upgraded so we can now post more than a handful of thumbnails. :thumbsup:

In the long term, I'm not sure where I could stick images to remain up near-indefinitely (optimistic and unlikely, I'm sure), but for now in the short term I guess I'll transfer some to pF, trim a few miscellaneous ones on Imgur, and do some research on Dropbox for potential use. More suggestions are both appreciated and encouraged!
    • Jun 4, 2006
      It's 100mb per file, not 100mb total space. You have "unlimited" space. We currently have very little control over attachments and their limitations. :frownbig:
      If in the future attachment space is limited I'll certainly look into some sort of meter / indicator of your use. In the meantime I still recommend dropbox. It's really the better option of what you're considering if you don't mind the app running in the bg. Uses about 45mb of mem. Use it to host / share public files or just store personal shit to retrieve elsewhere, could backup some shit to it as well. I personally use it for misc crap I want to share but also to sync my keepass database to it which I can then access via dropbox on my phone. Makes it so I can get all my logins and they'll be up to date with my changes / new additions at home. No idea what you'd use it for other than what you've described but it might have some other features you'd find useful as well. Versioning of files and the ability to restore deleted files perhaps? It's easy to use and manage your files since they remain on your HD, uploading is quick and easy too (drag n drop). Look into it a bit more; it's a popular choice.
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Jan 12, 2011
        So is it one of those "Use what you like and we'll bill you later" kinda things with the web server providers? In that case, keeping the numbers down would be a good idea. I'll try to keep what I use small, if so.

While I admittedly don't know much about Imgur's security with regards to uploaded things, it at least doesn't need an active connection with me. The cloud running in the background would be new(ish) to me, and I'm pretty sure my brother would be interested in seeing how it could be secured/isolated. I don't quite feel like it's the same as Steam (since it would be actively streaming files away from my computer probably more often than to, for my purposes), but maybe it's something I could get used to. I hope I'm not sounding paranoid about programs, but I'm just being cautious about new connections.