Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Is Windows 8 worth getting if its free?

Discussion in Software Sanctuary started by Seeker, Sep 6, 2013

1. Jan 21, 2011
    I can get windows 8 pro through my school for free, but I'm not sure I want it. I have a laptop with win8 and despise the start screen and metro apps, but everything else I can work with. Does it perform any better than 7?
  2. Jul 20, 2012
    If you already have Windows 7 it is a matter of taste if you want to have a little different desktop, but as for performance -- no. More accurate, as of now Win7 perform not noticeable better in games, and Win8 perform not noticeable better in apps.

Btw. Schools should use a linux distro, so should workplaces.
  3. Jul 8, 2012
    I have had almost 0 issues with it so far.

There are little issues here and there, but download a replacement start menu app and you'll be golden.
  4. Feb 27, 2012
    Just get a program like StartIsBack to bring back the old start menu, and use the options in it to disable your hot corners. And don't forget to enable Safe Mode.

But another thing i heard, if you've heard about all this NSA spying stuff, there is a backdoor that people have discovered that the NSA is using/plans to use for spying on your shit. So if you're crazy against that stuff, then i would advise against it.
    Here's the article:
    http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/08/22/nsa-windows-8-exploit/
    Post Merged, Sep 6, 2013

Windows 8 performs way better than windows 7.... way more responsive, boot time is ridiculously fast compared to windows 7 (even if you don't have an SSD) and the general amount of time it takes for everything to load up is quicker.
  5. Jul 20, 2012
    I use Linux Mint, but NSA have powerful enough computers to hack into https and ssl anyway.
  6. Jul 8, 2012
    I'm trying to learn Ubuntu, and mint kind of at the same time.
  7. Apr 9, 2007

I was getting a ton of BSOD's on Win8 Pro, I installed 8.1 and they went away. However, I've switched to Win8 Enterprise, and I no longer crash due to my Ethernet controller. It's personal preference, but I've left XP for Win8, even though the interface is pretty clownshoes.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Jun 23, 2010
      Try it out! I hear that some people LOVE it. Its all personal preferrence.
    • Apr 9, 2007
      I'm sure there are others, but those get me by day to day. For the rest I have icons on my desktop. Apparently people also use Winkey and then start typing, and that works as Run.
    • Feb 3, 2012
      I never tried Windows 8 before but In my opinion, I prefer Windows 7.
    • Feb 27, 2012
      Are there any programs that you use that replace missing features or settings you changed from previous operating systems? Right now i just use StartIsBack to get my start menu back and disable the hot corners, and i have manually enabled Safe Mode, since it's disabled, at least on Windows 8 Pro it is.
    • Apr 20, 2011
      Since you say its for free then why not everything free is bad
    • May 31, 2012
      It "feels" like Windows 8 is faster to me but I have no references to support this besides my personal experience between Windows 7 and 8 as a technician.

Are they giving you the complete version or the upgrade version? Complete version of Windows 8 Pro allows you to downgrade back to 7 if you insist so this would deduce your risks while taking a chance on something new.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      I see a lot of problems people have for running games on it, so I don't believe it'd be the greatest thing to get. If you could get it, and run it side by side in dual boot with Windows 7, then I wouldn't see an issue.
      • Like Like x 1
      • May 31, 2012
        Not a bad idea but that uses up a lot of resources on the computer.
      • Jul 8, 2012
        Only real issue i've run into for that is some software not being 100% supported.
      • Feb 27, 2012
        The hardest thing i've had to do is run the game as an admin/windows 7 compatibility.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Apr 9, 2007
          I don't use anything anymore. I had ShellMenu or whatever, on 8, but then when I moved to 8.1 it was incompatible so I got used to not having it. 8 is a complete usability nightmare, but it works...
          • Like Like x 1
          • Dec 6, 2011
            Well he could also just install it to a different HDD or an external and keep it there.
          • Aug 16, 2013
            Windows 8 boots up faster than windows 7.
            • Agree Agree x 1