Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

It was moving in, it was inevitable... SWTOR

Discussion in Gaming started by Jon, Aug 31, 2011

1. Apr 2, 2011
    Because I have yet to see anyone talk about this here... STAR WARS THE OLD REPUBLIC!!!!
    :starwars:
    The Beta is still in the works, and I hope that testers will do their and get the game working smooth so everyone can play!!!
    The Game has no release date as of yet, but the pre order is out... meaning that the end is... kinda near? IDK, close enough that Artillery can hit it eh?

Anyways for those that do not know of SWTOR, here is a brief overview
    2 Factions: The Galactic Republic that has stood as the bastion of peace and democracy for thousands of years.
    and the Sith Empire that has come out of hiding to Conquer the Republic and their Jedi rivals.
    Note: Galactic Republic=Blue=Good...... Sith Empire=Red=Evil
    Each of these 2 factions has four (4) basic classes.
    Galactic Republic--------------------Sith Empire
    Trooper -------------------------------- Bounty Hunter -Tanks/DPS... Heavy Armor Ranged Badasses
    Smuggler ------------------------------Imperial Agent- DPS/Support... Light Armor Ranged Badasses
    Jedi Knight ----------------------------Sith Warrior- Tanks/DPS... Heavy Armor Melee Badasses
    Jedi Counselor------------------------Sith Inquisitor- Tanks/DPS/Support... Light Armor Melee Badasses

Ok, AND THEN, they break off into advanced classes... but I wont get into that

Anyways... they are at the brink of war again, after a... reluctant Treaty of Coruscant and one side will force the tides of war in their favor... so which side is it?

So my questions in the end are:
    A) What faction would you play first/ mainly
    B) What class would you play mainly
    C) If you have preordered, let us know so we can UNITE!!!!
    D) If you are a Beta Tester, PM me so we can UNITE in the BETA!!!

I have preordered the game and I am a Beta Tester... as of Right now

If you want more info. or want to do much else here is a link to the Star Wars the Old Republic website
    http://www.swtor.com/
  2. Apr 9, 2007
  3. Jan 5, 2007
    From what I've been hearing from the beta testers, the entire game is exactly like WoW on rails, only set in Star Wars lore. There's even a quote floating around somewhere where Bioware's head guy says something along the lines of "anyone not copying WoW these days is dumb" or some such nonsense. Basically, it's just a giant money-grab offering very little in the way of worthwhile content.
  4. Apr 15, 2010
    Couldnt really care less, with that 15 pound a month Im not tempted, the fighting also looks very robotic compared to kotor 1 & 2, I say they should of brang out a kotor 3, which had single player and multiplayer(multi has co-op story)
  5. May 27, 2008
    The only words that I needed to read in this entire thread.

No thanks, Lucas.
  6. Mar 26, 2011
  7. Jul 13, 2011
    Lol was watching some gamebreaker.tv and i heard u can't swim in this game.
  8. Jan 10, 2009
    :starwars: :starwars: :starwars: :starwars:

seems solid but i can't bring myself to pay per month just to play a game. idk strange concept.
  9. Jan 30, 2011
    It isn't a copy of WoW. Hell, it is a copy of mmo's, which WoW is one of. It has quests, it has levelling, so yes, it is a copy of the mmo concept because IT IS an mmo. It is fully voiced, choreographed combat, weapons actually hit, and it isn't just an end game mmo, they actually made the levelling experience fun and fully voiced, instead of just making the game actually begin at level cap (ala WoW)

A ) What faction would you play first/ mainly: Galactic Republic. Although if I get into the beta testing weekends, will play a sith warrior or an inquisitor just to not run into any spoilers for the JK.
    B ) What class would you play mainly: Jedi Knight/DPS
    C ) If you have preordered, let us know so we can UNITE:: Yes, I have preordered.
    D ) If you are a Beta Tester, PM me so we can UNITE in the BETA: Not currently selected. although would be nice to get into the beta testing weekends.
  10. Oct 29, 2010
    People tend to get really upset when you call their new game a WoW clone, lol. Playing Rift, there were so many people who would get butt-hurt if you called it a WoW clone, even though it blatantly was. In the end, no one does WoW better than WoW, so if it does end up a "WoW clone" then I'll keep my distance. I haven't looked into this game at all as my interest in MMOs is dying out anyway, so I only know that a lot of my friends have been pretty excited about this for a long time now.
  11. Aug 18, 2006
    Every first person shooter is a copypasta of Wolfenstein 3D.
  12. Jan 21, 2011
  13. Apr 2, 2011
    Being a Beta tester, I might be able to shed to some light on it... yes the combat style is VERY similar to WoW, even a clone if you will... A huge difference is the pacing of it... WoW you could spend an eternity fighting 1 or 2 mobs, in SWTOR it is very fast pace, and damage is huge, both to and from players... Trust me when I say combat wise... it feels much nicer than WoW, despite its similarities/clonelikeness.

The Main difference between the two besides the Universe, it the STORY. In WoW it had story, BUT HOW MANY OF YOU GUYS READ THE DAMN QUESTS TO UNDERSTAND THE STORY?? I didn't, there was no reason. Go off and kill 10 guys and return... None of that in SWTOR really... There are bonus quests for killing shit, but that is that... The main thing is Story, Everything you do has consequences, good and bad... kill a guy and he is dead, YOU can't do shit with him ever again, he is dead for YOU... in that sense SWTOR is kinda single player... but hey I love the groups in the game... but the Story (back to it) Draws you in... it makes everything seem so much more significant... I love it
  14. Jan 30, 2011
    Another good difference between the two games are in TOR you get companions, if you have ever played any Bioware game, you know what they are. Characters you can play with that can help you in your journey with witty comments and can help move your story along.
  15. Jan 5, 2007
    Pay extra attention to the underlined parts. I think that says enough really.
  16. Jan 30, 2011
    Yea, ok, it appears like a bit of a WoW clone. But it will be so much better, Blizz is running out of things to do for WoW and ended up redoing all of their original content in the starting areas and continents because they thought it would bring people back. If anything, it sent more away with the new mechanics for dungeons and raids with the need for CC and other teamwork abilities.

It will be better, IMO, because of all the new things that are being added, as well as it being a Bioware game (who are amazing at story telling) and set in the star wars universe, and fully voiced. That alone will probably draw a whack load of people toward it.
  17. Jan 5, 2007
    You do know that Bioware has failed to release any quality games for a while now? After EA acquired them, they started to dumb down all their games to try and mass-market them. Sure they may be able to pull off a good story here and there, but be honest with your self. Do you really think they're trying to make a quality game, or are they just trying to cash in on the Star Wars IP?
  18. Mar 12, 2008
    I'm gonna buy this game just so i can give them money
  19. Jan 30, 2011
    Epicsauce. I was chosen to partake in the weekend testing for Star Wars The Old Republic from September 2nd to September 5th.
  20. Aug 20, 2011